Thread: Let's talk about freebies

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Let's talk about freebies

I work in a group practice that employs about 25 opticians at any given time. We talk amongst ourselves about the giveaways frequently but now that I have access to a bigger stage I'm curious how the rest of the optical world does thing. Here is a small list of the things we do or give away without charging a fee:

-nosepads
    -temple tips
    -screws
    -eyeglass cases
    -adjustments
    -rechecks
    -restrings
    -drillouts/screw extractions

Pretty much everything that doesn't directly involve a frame or lens order gets handed out for free around here. I think it's pretty much that way across the board here in Missouri, so how's the rest of the world handle it? We all do it but we all gripe about it. Not how I envisioned things when I went through the trouble of certification.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Depending upon the circumstances, it's about the same here. This is a small farm town where many businesses do similar things for free.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Sometimes you have to look at it this way.

Let's say you sold a pair of nose pads for $5. You made $5. You are ahead of the game by $5. You sell 10 pairs of nose pads and now you are at $50. So now you have some money to buy a pizza for the staff. Isn't that nice?

Now, some clients (and we are talking about clients getting the nose pads for glasses they bought from you) may not like this and they may go somewhere else. That client spent, let's say, $300 on glasses from you. That means you have to sell 60 pairs of nose pads to make up for that one client who left you. And that is if no others leave you for similar reasons.

Now, thinking that if this client buys a new pair from you every 3 years at $300, then over a 30 year span, that is 10 pairs of glasses = $3000. So now you have to sell 600 pairs of nose pads to make up for that one lost client.

But guess what? You just made $5. Congratulations!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If a pat. has purchased eyewear from us, we don't charge. If a pat. has not purchased eyewear from us, we charge. The only exception to the latter is adjustments.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here are some opinions on this topic: http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...e-services.asp

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I dont really agree or disagree with that link.

if even one person ends up coming to us because we did a basic repair or adjustment for them at no charge, that pays for alot of nose pads, cleaning spray and time.

maybe we have different clientele but i havent had anyone abusing my free nose pads, adjustments or cleaning, but i most be on the edge of losing the house by not charging.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Another solution is you could record the name of the person getting the freebies. If they come in three times (non-customer) and never buy, or if you recognize a different frame in between, you can mention that the other times were freebies and this time you are charging.

Also, always tell them the fee before you do the service, not after.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Curiouscat I looked at the article - Great read. Thanks for the link.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great mag, if I do say so myself... =)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We price our frames and lenses to include essentially a lifetime of nosepads, temple tips etc. We let our patients know this so that they don't even think twice about where they are going when they need anything at all remotely having to do with their eyes or glasses. We MUST always be the only place they think of going to for help. Chris.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    We price our frames and lenses to include essentially a lifetime of nosepads, temple tips etc. We let our patients know this so that they don't even think twice about where they are going when they need anything at all remotely having to do with their eyes or glasses. We MUST always be the only place they think of going to for help. Chris.
    Perfectly stated Chris if I do say so. And this doesn't mean you have to throw your entire pricing structure into the upper stratosphere of boutique, ultra-riche silliness. Its a few extra dollars. Nothing more. You can cover your costs, and you can keep your patients happy, and most importantly of all...YOURS! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You would be surprised how many people come back to lay down $500 because of a free pair of 50 cent nose pads and a good cleaning.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    i think most of the practice doing the same.. we looking at the condition.. if those who always come for a pair of nose pad and the frame is not purchased here then we charge.. other than that everything that listed is free of charge..
    Yeap

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We live in a tourism area and charge a $10 donation to our charity. We do get a few per year that want me to do it for free and they then need to wait until they get home.
    Our clients we don't charge but they put in more money than anyone.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work in an ophthalmology office. The Drs. stress customer service, and every couple years, they have us watch the video "Give em the pickle" (you can watch it on youtube. It's from Farrell's ice cream parlour). We don't give away the store, but we make sure we keep the patient happy. Our giveaways usually consist of nosepads, adjustments, and an occasional frame case.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by icmor View Post
    I work in an ophthalmology office. The Drs. stress customer service, and every couple years, they have us watch the video "Give em the pickle" (you can watch it on youtube. It's from Farrell's ice cream parlour). We don't give away the store, but we make sure we keep the patient happy. Our giveaways usually consist of nosepads, adjustments, and an occasional frame case.
    Our Docs definitely stress customer service. We routinely offer just about all of our services for free and we even go so far as to offer what many of us on the ground level consider excessive which is giving away an extra free pair of sunglasses to patients who've had to wait a little too long for their order. I did watch the "give 'em a pickle" video and I can tell you that we don't even have pickles here. We charge them for Frames and lenses and a few things like press on prism and cleaning supplies but for the most part its all done pro-bono. Just kiding about the pickles by the way.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In this day of "discount" chain & internet customers you have to teach your patients and those who are not the value of their purchase. you charge for your SERVICE & TIME for non-customers, explaining that it is a free service only to your customers who have purchased the glasses from you for as long as they have those glasses. MAKE SURE your own customers are informed at time of dispensing of this valuable lifetime service, which is included in the cost of those glasses. They have paid for your service, make sure they know it. We all like to get value for our money spent!

Occupation
    I toyed with the idea of charging a fee for things like nosepads, temples, adjustments etc. Since the last practice we were in had MyVisionExpress we could charge it to the account and then give them a credit to their account rather than actually charge them so on the receipt we would print it would show a credit and we would mention to them that it is normally included in the price of a purchase but we apply it as a credit to their future pair with us. I started doing it with solder and AR removals mostly for those outside AR's and solders and when they have a $30 credit they often come back and pruchase eyewear. The problem we ran into was that some would come in and try to apply the credit to lens cleaners and cloths. I thought it was fine since in the grand scheme of things that was a small percentage of the population that tried to milk the system, but my employer didn't like the idea so we nixed it.

Ultimately I started using a method that Chris Ryser brought up some years back, we would do the repairs and charge it to an account that we set up in the system and then I would zero it out. Themajority of patients would look at the receipt and be perplexed sometimes they would complain that they shouldn't be charged anything. I would tell them that the service costs money we just choose not to charge them for it as a courtesy. You would be amazed at how well that worked. I think Chris said it came from a jeweler that would do that with watch batteries. I like Craigs idea of having them donate to your favorite charity as most people won't complain about it and the charity gets money so it's win win for everyone. It's always nice to let people know that it's not FREE, and that you don't think they should pay for it if you do proovide it at no charge.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I like your idea on "zeroing out" a receipt. Definitely lets the patient know the service has value. Especially in this day of internet eyewear sales. Those purchasers expect our services for free and don't understand the value of what their ECP is including in an eyewear purchase

Bad address email on file sjthielen's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This problem came to my attention about a year ago when we started having many patients from other local optical stores come in for adjustments and what I refer to as consultations. I decided that since these other practice owners were not paying the salaries of our well educated staff, we would start charging non patients a $10 optical service fee. This fee applied to any glasses not purchased in our office and included taking PD's, adustments, minor repairs such as nosepads, temple tips and screw replacements. We also charge this fee if we have to analyze and troubleshoot glasses filled elsewhere. This fee covers 1 year of these services and we give them a business card with the expiration date and $20 coupon towards their next eyewear purchase in our office. This policy lets patients know these services have value, but the discount rewards the person that is going to be a loyal new patient to the practice.

Thread Information