Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Essilor Has Purchased and Now Owns (Insert Company Name Here)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee H View Post
    Craig, you make some very good points...and I agree with your comment about the independent song is old and tired....I don't think it has ever made a difference in the Carolinas (I can't speak for other areas). I would like to respond about the "dreaming" comment. I have worked on both sides....ELOA and a family owned lab (Luzerne) and and I can tell you, there is a big difference and I am not dreaming. Being able to offer the same, equivalent, or better lenses for less without the gimmicks, contracts and games is something I was unable to do until 2004 when I made a change. The change I made in 2004 to go to work for a non E owned lab was the best move I have made in my 26 years in the wholesale lab business. Its so nice to be able to offer the best products to fill a need for the ECP as opposed to talking about the products that management wants to promote. I do agree with you, however, that just because my lab isn't owned by one of the large corporations is not going to help me keep or gain new clients. Being able to positively affect the ECP's bottom line, level of quality, level of service, or offering better performing lenses does make a difference. We are in somewhat the same boat as it also doesn't doesn't matter to me which lens an ECP buys from my lab....my family and creditors could care less as well. So on that we can agree...cheers
    Plug for your lab?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:42 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Plug for your lab?
    Speed, some may view it as a "plug" some may not.....but I personally do not think so.....the only way I have ever picked up any new business is to get in my car, drive to ECP offices and knock on doors. I thought I would offer a perspective from someone who who has been on both sides of the wholesale lab equation. I enjoy reading posts here on Optiboard and never expect to pick up business by plugging my lab. Believe me, if I were gonna plug.....it would be a much BIGGER plug....have a good day!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    Craig, by your definition the only independent labs would be the ones who sell the products they manufacture, i.e. Essilor, Hoya and Zeiss. Or did I misunderstand?
    There is no independent lab! There is no way to be in the lab business and not support one of the Big??? It is not possible to be in the lab business with the products that your lab buys from the ones you are saying to stay away from.
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TRUE INDEPENDENT LAB AND THERE NEVER WILL BE AGAIN!

I also was a rep for Omega, Essilor and Benedict as well as own my own stores for the past 13+ years, so I get to live the story of buyouts and being independent.

The best thing that happened to Pech optical was the big E came in and gave them more resources! $$ and the ability to get the latest technology first while ensuring it works prior to launch. There is no perfect scenario, but I really do not care who owns what company as long as it works for my business.

Craig
    Independent retailer

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    There is no independent lab! There is no way to be in the lab business and not support one of the Big??? It is not possible to be in the lab business with the products that your lab buys from the ones you are saying to stay away from.
    Horse hockey !!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Horse hockey !!!
    You could you buy equipment, software, blanks or supplies from to run a lab and avoid all the Big ones? Please tell!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Occupation
    You could you buy equipment, software, blanks or supplies from to run a lab and avoid all the Big ones? Please tell!
    Spend an hour or so looking, it might save you more that you think you make using products from the big ones.

P.S. Listen to the old timers, some of us know what we are talking about.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optek, Santinelli, Polycore to name a few.
    Keep going, remember you got a whole lab to run...........
    Last edited by Plausible; 01-07-2012 at 12:54 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Spend an hour or so looking, it might save you more that you think you make using products from the big ones.

P.S. Listen to the old timers, some of us know what we are talking about.
    "Might save", and "some of us", two not so confident terms used in a reply ment to cast no doubt? If you can set your personal feelings aside for one minute you will see that Craigs logic is spot on.
    Last edited by Plausible; 01-07-2012 at 08:36 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree 100% with that statement.

I make it a point, however, to support those labs/vendors/frame companies whose long term goals include keeping me in business. Of course, I am not naive enough to believe that they actually are my "partner" or actually care about my welfare. They know that if I remain in business, they will have a revenue stream. I have no problem with that at all.

There is no perfect vendor, but you have to pick and choose those which ethics, values, and business style fits you. It's less about names and products and more about the vendors long term goals. These goals won't be stated in their mission statements, but their actions will tell you all you need to know. (acquisitions, new ventures, partners, etc...)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Your relationship with your lab is the most important factor!

I do not use US Optical, but the availability of the owners certainly helps them grow the business. I do business with vendors that provide a product/service that serves the niche we are targeting and we normally end up having a personal relationship with the rep and/or the President/owner of the business. This is the same thing that allows any business to prosper and the same reason our customers come to Eyetopian Optical. They trust we have developed relationships with the companies that can solve the issues entrusted to us for their optical issues.

They trust us and we trust them! I do not care who owns it and neither does anybody else. Consistency and old fashion ethics still are necessary and the driving force to survive in a service industry. We are not the cheapest and our clients do not expect us to be and I do not expect my vendors to be the cheapest; just the best!

I worked for Essilor and tried to avoid them longer than anyone, but have learned to use them to my advantage. I get the best products in the world at very fair prices and it is only possible because the lab is Essilor owned at this point.

Occupation

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Essilor accelerates its expansion.........................................

Essilor accelerates its expansion in Africa and Latin America and acquires CSC Labs

Charenton-le-Pont, France(January 6, 2012 - 6:30 a.m.) – Essilorhas further expanded its presence in fast-growing markets by signing five newpartnership agreements in North Africa and Latin America.

After entering Moroccoin 2011 through an equity interest in L'N Optic, Essilor has widened itsnational coverage by acquiring a 65% interest in Optiben, a major playerin ophthalmic lens distribution, and a 65% stake in prescription laboratory VSTLab. With combined revenue of around €4 million and a network of 14 localbranches, this base will manufacture and distribute BBGR®-brand products. Theseacquisitions will allow the Company to deploy its multi-network strategy in amarket with a population of 30 million shaped by low penetration of correctivelenses and a particularly vibrant presbyopia segment.

In Tunisia,Essilor has signed an agreement to acquire a majority interest in prescriptionlaboratory SIVO and its marketing subsidiary SICOM, both located in thecentral port city of Sfax.Tunisia’s market leader,SIVO also operates in other North and West African markets through subsidiariesin Algeria, Morocco, Côte d’Ivoire, Togoand Cameroon.SIVO, which generated revenue of around €7 million in 2011, will continue tomanufacture and distribute high value-added products in Tunisia underthe Essilor®, Varilux® and Crizal® brand names, and sell products under its ownbrand name in its export markets.

In Latin America, where Essilor is pursuing a very active partnershipstrategy with independent laboratories, the Company has considerablystrengthened its presence in equipment with Satisloh’s acquisition of amajority stake in CM Equipamentos Ópticos de Precisão. Based in Petropolis, Brazil,CM is active in the manufacture of ophthalmic lens surfacing machines, hasnearly 90 employees and generates around €8 million in annual revenue.Combining Satisloh's technological expertise with CM's customer base willenable the Company to offer a wide range of machines, consumables and servicesto independent prescription laboratories throughout the region and to speed thespread of digital surfacing and coating technologies.

Essilor has also entered the Dominican Republicby acquiring amajority interest in Opti Express, a prescription laboratory with revenueof around €2.5 million that operates primarily in the Santo Domingo area.

In addition to these two newpartnerships, Essilor in late 2011 set up a sales subsidiary in Colombia, Latin America’sthird-largest market with a population of 47 million. Essilor Colombia willbe responsible for directly distributing products sold under various Essilorbrands in this fast-growing market.

These various transactions,which represent aggregate annual revenue of around €21 million, give Essilor afoothold in three new countries and significantly increase the Company'sexposure in these high-growth regions.

In the United States, Essilor has acquired a majoritystake in CSC Laboratories, a large prescription laboratory based in Watsonville, California.Backed by leading-edge technologies, CSC has around 170 employees and generatesannual revenue of close to $32 million. It is also a distributor of theindustry’s major brands. This partnership will allow Essilor to enhance itspositions in the San Franciscoarea.

Lastly, Essilor has alsoacquired Professional Ophthalmic Laboratories, a company based in Roanoke, Virginiawith revenue of around $3 million.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    When will it end?
    When Essilor is absorbed by someone else(ha-ha) or there are no more labs left for Essilor to purchase. They will try to buy everything out there as long as they have the capital to do so. It's a crazy world out there.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    CSC is an interesting purchase. CSC owns two labs, one in Watsonville and a smaller one in San Jose that bears another name. I don't know if this deal covers both labs, but Mr. Kim (prev owner) was a big Zeiss supporter. Will they move away from Zeiss? Yes.

Essilor closed their only San Fran Bay Lab (Optics One in Milipitas) about 14 months ago. Essilor never closes a lab so this has probably been in the works since then, and only announced now.

San Fran is a tough market and Mr. Kim is a tough cookie. He is the only one who has figured out how to run a successful lab in the SF Bay area. When Mr Kim retires CSC will slowly unravel. Companies have tried servicing the Bay Area from labs in the Central Valley like Sacramento, Stockton and Modesto and it really has not worked.

I am sure this is about Essilor losing a lot of market share in the SF Bay area over the last 3 years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you referring to labs, or ECPs?

There really is no such thing as an independent anything. (Craig is right) We can no sooner be independent than we can buy only American. Would we like to? Sure, but if there's only 3 made in America companies, do you run the world's smallest optical or lab, or hold your nose and plow ahead?

Adlai Stevenson said, "It is easier to fight for principles than to live up to them." I think that is the case here.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What happens when you're holding your nose and there's nowhere to plow ahead?
    That's my point as well. I think many of the independent labs are at that point now. There is no place to plow ahead to. What market are they going to go after?

For us, saying no was first based on principle, but we are now thriving because of it...not in spite of it. Like anything, it has to be something you do, not something you say. Many people say no to E, and yes to the mega frame companies owned by insurance companies.

The real question should be, "What are you saying NO to?"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-01-2015 at 10:53 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper make decisions based on choice ........................................

..................... able to make decisions based on choice rather than anticipated perks, rewards, contests and assorted other "freebies".

all these goodies mentioned above have to be paid for and by whom ??????????? By yourself because the supplier has to include them in his selling price.

Thread Information