Thread: IPD in Bifocal Glasses

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

IPD in Bifocal Glasses

Dear all,

Can somebody guide me if it is possible to obtain appropriate IPD (Distance) in Bifocal (Flat Top / Curve Top) lenses???

If yes, how to get it???

Your guidance will be very very helpful.

kind regards
    Himanshu

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    This is very basic ophthalmic layout. Of course it is possible, it is done every single day on every single pair. Haven't you ever done layout work before?

Occupation
    thanks Mike,

Can you please explain me about the layout.....!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    This is very basic ophthalmic layout. Of course it is possible, it is done every single day on every single pair. Haven't you ever done layout work before?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why is there air?

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by himanpatel View Post
    thanks Mike,

Can you please explain me about the layout.....!
    You need to ask your lab manager or prove to us that you're not trying to purchase online eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by himanpatel View Post
    Dear all,

Can somebody guide me if it is possible to obtain appropriate IPD (Distance) in Bifocal (Flat Top / Curve Top) lenses???

If yes, how to get it???

Your guidance will be very very helpful.

kind regards
    Himanshu
    While I'm sure I share the sentiment of every one who has posted here in thinking that this kind of question should be reserved for another category in the forum or for this person's lab manager (or any other optician), it troubles me to see how arrogantly we respond those with little or no knowledge of optics (or even to those with some knowledge who err on occasion). I know that I've only just begun to touch the tip of the iceberg when it comes to optics; but even as I learn more, I can't see myself addressing people and conducting myself in such a condescending manner. I understand that there is a level of self-righteousness and feelings of entitlement with the receipt of education and certifications etc., but I think that by us treating other people (other opticians, especially) like this, we are being counterproductive to the ideals that we all gripe about; namely, increasing education within the optics community and promoting a cohesive body of opticianry. I don't want to necessarily create a firestorm, but I do think that the comment should be made since I personally believe that just as we educate our patients in understanding and amicable ways, so too should we do with our colleagues.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    himanpatel,

I don't know that an online optical forum is really the best venue for you to learn basic laboratory skills, even an online forum with as many experts participating as OptiBoard. You would be better served by tracking down some sort of laboratory training manual, while seeking instruction from someone locally who can demonstrate to you the various operating procedures, in person. Unfortunately, surfacing manuals are rare nowadays, but you might try to track down a used copy of a book like Lens Surfacing Handbook.

That said, assumging that you referring to obtaining the correct distance and near PDs when surfacing the lenses, this will largely depend upon your layout and blocking method. "On-center" blocking will require a different procedure than "off-center" blocking. Using a traditional layout marker and alloy blocker will often require a different procedure than a modern "wax" blocker.

Generally, you will need to position the bifocal segment in some form of layout marker or layout marker + blocker combination, based on the seg inset and seg drop. The seg inset is equal to one-half the difference between the distance and near PDs, so that Inset = ½(DPD - NPD). The seg drop is found by subtracting one-half of the B (vertical) dimension of the frame from the seg height, so that Drop = Height - ½B. But, again, how you actually position your bifocal lens blank will depend upon the type of equipment and blocking method that you are using.

If you are a consumer trying to determine your own PD, on the other hand, your best best is to locate a qualified eyecare professional in your region. You will not find any methods for doing this yourself on OptiBoard, nor are you likely to find any methods for doing it yourself accurately on any other website.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Musicvirtuoso, I've seen quite a few of your posts, and I see much potential in you. You will be an asset to our community. I do have a question I will ask of you shortly, though.

If you follow these boards for any length of time, you'll notice some of us seem helpful, some seem arrogant, and some seem to do either, depending on the situation.

Your question about arrogance in the other thread that you started has merit but does not apply to us all. Keep in mind that many of us have invested much time, effort, and money in education, training, experience, licensing, and certifications to be called opticians. We are not necessarily being arrogant when we become upset that yesterdays burger flipper today says he's the same thing that we are (An optician). He IS NOT.

The only peers, and dare I say superiors, in this field that I have met, are on this board. This is the truth and it does not make me arrogant. I will help anyone that needs and requests it, but let's remember who has earned their stripes and who has not. I expect someone seeking help and knowledge from me to be humble, as I am when seeking it from others. (Darryl M, Harry C, Robert M, etc... who are all very polite and helpful)
    Humility goes both ways.

Now to the question I had for you: why did you scold us as a group, yet fail to answer the op's question (who posed it humbly, might I add)?
    Wes
    Last edited by Wes; 08-15-2010 at 02:01 AM.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    Musicvirtuoso, I've seen quite a few of your posts, and I see much potential in you. You will be an asset to our community. I do have a question I will ask of you shortly, though.

If you follow these boards for any length of time, you'll notice some of us seem helpful, some seem arrogant, and some seem to do either, depending on the situation.
    Your question about arrogance in the other thread that you started has merit but does not apply to us all. Keep in mind that many of us have invested much time, effort, and money in education, training, experience, licensing, and certifications to be called opticians. We are not necessarily being arrogant when we become upset that yesterdays burger flipper today says he's the same thing that we are (An optician). He IS NOT.

The only peers, and dare I say superiors, in this field that I have met, are on this board. This is the truth and it does not make me arrogant. I will help anyone that needs and requests it, but let's remember who has earned their stripes and who has not. I expect someone seeking help and knowledge from me to be humble, as I am when seeking it from others. (Darryl M, Harry C, Robert M, etc... who are all very polite and helpful)
    Humility goes both ways.

Now to the question I had for you: why did you scold us as a group, yet fail to answer the op's question (who posed it humbly, might I add)?
    Wes
    I completely agree with you. And I understand the need to uphold those standards. It's interesting that you ask why I didn't answer because I was actually thinking about it afterward. I guess there was a part of me that agreed with everyone as far as the validity of the post itself. So, in a way, I was torn myself. The last thing I wanted to do is make it seem like I was scolding, and for that I apologize; I guess I just got a little too high on my moral horse. But it's nice to see peoples' response to the situation.

Best,
    Drew

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "Your question about arrogance in the other thread that you started has merit but does not apply to us all. Keep in mind that many of us have invested much time, effort, and money in education, training, experience, licensing, and certifications to be called opticians. We are not necessarily being arrogant when we become upset that yesterdays burger flipper today says he's the same thing that we are (An optician). He IS NOT."

Wes. This is it in a nutshell for me. Especially if you live in a non-licensed state.
    "Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it." - Benjamin Franklin.

Thread Information