Thread: Physio "Enhanced" ? What's the deal ?

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Confused Physio "Enhanced" ? What's the deal ?

OK, someone (hopefully not from Essilor) tell me what the Physio "Enhanced" is all about? How does it differ from the 360? Is is true this is not really "freefrom". This is more of the digital design molds?

In other words, this does not compare to Shamir Autograph II or Kodak Unique or Zeiss Individual correct?

BREAK IT DOWN someone! I need the straight dope!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think in a nutshell, it is a tweaked version of the 360, with the primary drive being that we no longer need to distinguish between a 360 Short and a 360: now all fitting heights are listed under this lens, from 14 mm up. I imagine there are other tweaks to the design, but I think a pt would be hard pressed to distinguish the Enhanced from a 360. It's still digitally surfaced, I don't think it's FF, or Essilor would be throwing up huge firewoeks about how radically different it is from the 360. The Ipseo is still their top-tier lens, I'd say. At least, that's what I have gathered.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The "Enhanced" lenses are the next version of the 360 line. They have improved the software used to calculate the (back) curves of the lenses. That's the only difference. The 360 line will be going away in Essilor's progressive consolidation.

The only difference between a Physio and Physion Enhanced (or any Varilux progressive and it's Enhanced counterpart) is which software the calculations are run through and which generator the lens is cut on. Both the regular and Enhanced start out with the exact same blank.

They are digitally surfaced. They are NOT Free Form.

From all I've heard, the Physio (Enhanced) is a decent progressive. But it does not compare to true Free Form offerings from Seiko, Shamir, Zeiss, etc.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    The "Enhanced" lenses are the next version of the 360 line. They have improved the software used to calculate the (back) curves of the lenses. That's the only difference. The 360 line will be going away in Essilor's progressive consolidation.

The only difference between a Physio and Physion Enhanced (or any Varilux progressive and it's Enhanced counterpart) is which software the calculations are run through and which generator the lens is cut on. Both the regular and Enhanced start out with the exact same blank.

They are digitally surfaced. They are NOT Free Form. From all I've heard, the Physio (Enhanced) is a decent progressive. But it does not compare to true Free Form offerings from Seiko, Shamir, Zeiss, etc.
    From the vague and smoke like marketing I have heard... this seems correct. The Physios use the same cast add front blank. TheEhanced is digitally processed on the back with an Aspheric/Atoric design, the new Enhanced version is an "improved" digital design over the 360. On any progressive the steepest most important curve (except in the highest powers) is the transition from the distance zone to the near. Since this curve and transition is cast, the most important zone of the lens is not improved with either Physio lens. The prefered option is the digitally process the add, which Essilor only does on the Ipseo, the Ideal and on half the Definity.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    I've never surfaced a Definity but I have seen the lens boxes. If the Definity has half of the add power on the back surface why are there lens boxes that say 4/3.00 ( as in 4 base 3.00 add)?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Because 4 Base/1.50/1.50 is too confusing???

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Yeah, all over the place is Essilor when you hear about Physion Enhaced, but there are also the ones from Varilux, which provide patients a customized lens design made without additional measurements or equipment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Marketing.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Thread Information