Thread: What are a few of your "favorite things?"

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

What are a few of your "favorite things?"

I'm sure everyone has a few really silly little things that produce an amount of pleasure that would mystify anyone else.

For example, I like to smoke a pipe while I read (right now, I'm finishing up a DiMercurio novel about submarine battles- I'm sure Captain Pacino will live to fight another day). Every so often, a perfect smoke ring results from a exhaled puff, and I'll just watch it lazily float away. Now THAT's a quality moment!

Of course, there is also this very moment right now (its Friday, and as soon as I post this the weekend has officially started). There's just something about locking up the shop on a Friday, ahhhh (plus, its about 72 degrees outside and sunny- God, I love Florida).

Am I the only one who has these moments of rhapsody over ordinary little things? I think not! Fess up, what "makes your day?"
    :)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well...,

Normally it would be getting home after a good workout on Friday, cooling down and then visiting with the neighbors with a Lienenkugal Bock, but as it stands right now I can no longer get this wonderful libation in this area. I will have to drive to Austin or Johnson City to get a beer for God sake! Man am I frigging POed right about now

I even asked the beer guy at the grocery store about it and he said "Yeah, there are a lot of people that ask me where they can get it, but it isn't around here." AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! Then I go out to the liquor store thinking "You know they have to have it." since I used to be able to get it at the store a few blocks from my house, but NOOOOO! They don't have it and don't know anyone in town that does. Man!

Well, I gues my neighbor and I are gonna make that three hour trip for a sixer of beer so that I'm not ticked all weekend long. The lengths some will go to for a moment of bliss :D

It's just not fair! Dam dam dam dam dam! :D May a pox fall upon Albertsons for no longer carrying my beer of choice. Oh well, I guess it will be Fosters and Zeno's tonight then.

Oh and Pete, the Wild Turkey 101 flows like wine around here ;)

Darris C. "Dammit!" :)

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My favorite thing?

It is in the simple beauty of a smile, a flower, the smell of clean flannel sheets, the joy on a child's face....

And a pint of Ben and Jerry's "Chubby Hubby"!

Life doesn't get better than that! :D
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

With out a doubt.........it would have to be my two kid's.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Smilie

Holding my husband's hand, listening to my all grown up kids be silly and laugh together, a really perfect rose bud or orchid bloom, a terrific piece of steak, my kitties and the quest for a good $10 bottle of wine.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Visiting with my folks (dad is 73, mom is 70 this year)
    watching one of my kids get an award or achieve one of their goals
    getting email from formerly "long-lost" military brat buddies
    reading a good book on a rainy afternoon
    nearly anything chocolate
    a kiss from my husband when he's remembered to shave!
    jP

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laurie,

"and the quest for a good $10 bottle of wine."

Robert Mondavi Chininblanc $8.50 around here or St. Genevive White (Not great, but good Texas wine) around $10.00. St. Genevive also has a pretty good Red (Burgandy) as well.

But you know what? There still isn't any Lienenkugal Bock to found around here! :)

Take care,

Darris C.

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Cindy said:
    ...the smell of clean flannel sheets
    How about crisp, cold sheets in the wintertime? Oh yeah!

About once a year, we'll have a night that is "just right" for leaving the bedroom windows open on a Friday evening. Then it rains the next morning and I hear the rain falling and realize "I don't have to get up- its Saturday!"
    ;)

Also, there is that "just right" amount of alcohol that leaves one pleasantly mellowed. I sit in the recliner and sleepily solve all of the world's problems with profound thoughts like "You know? Dogs make good pets!" I'm sure I will awaken the next morning and be able to end all the world's little troubles- and drop off to a contented sleep.

Once while deer hunting, it began to snow and I watched the ground slowly become white over the course of an hour or so. For a while, I didn't even care that I'd seen nothing but squirrels all day!

Finally, there is nothing more sublime than having your kid pop the chain off their bike. The look of reverence and awe for your mechanical genius when you put it aright...

Moments like these sure do help when Mrs. Crobopolous starts covering one eye than the other and exclaims "You know, this eye sees just a liiiiitle better than this eye!"
    :)
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

whiskers on kittens

Relaxing in the hot tub with my husband after a long stressful day. Amazing how quickly my attitude changes. ahhhhh!

Did I mention sipping wine while in the hottub with my husband?

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pete said.....

How about crisp, cold sheets in the wintertime? Oh yeah!

Are you high! I would snap out of that bed so quick the sheets would disintegrate! There is nothing better in the world than flannel sheets in the winter! And not new ones, but ones that have been washed several times and are just well broken in! That, my dear Pete, is Heaven!

Also, I agree about the part about laying in bed and listening to the rain. What is even better is crawling into bed at night and watching the light show and hearing the sounds of a good old thunderstorm! That is great theatre!:D
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, lets see...a good, tough training session at the dojo...watching my 2 "musical" children perform...last Friday's CSN&Y concert with my oldest "music loving" daughter's head on my shoulder during "Our House"...anything "Navy"...Bizet's Symphony in C Major...there's just so much out there to wake up to every day...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My favorite thing is holding my wife's hand on my left, and my 4 year old son's hand on my right, as we meander through wooded trails, enjoying every second of it, and thankful to God for the chance to experience it.

Thread Information