Thread: Problem solving? What's that?

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter elaneo's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Problem solving? What's that?

On my past terms of employment as an intern optician I have been evaluated as being a great employee, but on both have been told I need to develop my problem solving skills. Is there any way to work on this aside from being faced with real life patients?
    I assume I could play out scenarios and study them, but is that a good idea?
    I would like to plug all the leaks I have before I start a business (that is if I still do decide to open).
    Selling, planning, being organized (I have to work at this one a little bit, truthfully) are probably my better traits. Of course there is still room to improve, but I would like to bring other skills up to par.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter elaneo's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, I will be asking my past employer about this, just to get feedback. (forgot to mention)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Nothing beats real experience in this line of work. With that said, one of the things that still to this day amazes me is that just when you think you've seen it all(after almost 30 years) you see something that makes you go Hmmmm? WTF? How did that happen? Or you're presented with a patient/customer who throws you for a loop with their questions or expectations. You can role play all you want but you will never cover all the bases that way. Start with as much class/seminar/college/industry based knowledge you can get your brain to absorb. Then practice your skills every day while you provide patients with what they need, all the while honing your skills. You just gotta get in the pool and practice dog paddling and then learn new strokes along the way. No classes can really prepare you to be a good Optician. They can teach you "stuff" but your style as an Optician has to be formed over time.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hmmm. You're having a problem solving your problem solving problem. See their point?
    :bbg::bbg::bbg::cheers:

No, seriously, what you have to do is learn to think of consequences in the future. Then sometimes you have to backtrack from the "future" point back to the present to see what initiated the problem. Identifying the problem should give you a lead on solving it.

As Chris says, you'll never know it all, and as soon as you think you've seen it all, in comes the next customer to prove you wrong.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I agree with you guys. You will always meet situations which at first view you may not know how to solve them, but important is that you will have confidence in your skills and you must learn whom to address in these situations. Your experience will help you in all these cases.

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kind of like in regular life...Look at the situation, feel confident of your capabilities (and if you don't feel that way, ask yourself what education/information do you need in order feel confident), consider every side of the issue, think about different scenarios and solutions, and consider long-term effects. Then, decide your plan of action, based on your knowledge and previous experience.
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You need to see all sides of the question at hand, if dealing with a person problem, look at it from the other person's point of view. Put yourself in that person's perspective, all scenarios, logical & otherwise. You need to understand why they have a problem before you can come up with an equitable solution. You may not agree , but you have to understand. Technical issues come wrapped up in personality issues, many times complicating the situation. Calm, empathy, and humour are all needed when dealing with people. When you've figured out the technical issue at hand, you need to win over the person if you want to have a future relationship. "Do unto others......." is important to remember.

You said selling is your strong suit, well you are still selling while problem solving. This sale will be more important than the initial encounter.
    Last edited by cleyes; 08-03-2010 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Additional brilliant thought

Thread Information