Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Comfort? break it down....

OptiBoard Professional skirk1975's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

New Comfort? break it down....

Can someone (someone NOT from Essilor) break down the *new comfort progressive for me? Where does it really stand in the "free-form" world? In other words, what type of lens is it most comparable to? It's not full backside digital. What is it?

Essilor should have read a page in marketing flops in history. Remember New Coke? Epic fail!!! In a few months we will get Comfort Classic. Mark my words!

:bbg:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You are most probably right..................new wrapping, envelope and print for an existing product.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Lens shelves are full in labs. Expand and put in more new lens racks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    My vote is for anything that is truly freeform, I think Essilor is getting a little carried away.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The "New" Comfort is the same as the old Comfort with slightly larger viewing areas. The standard "New" Comfort is processed the same way as the old Comfort, and the "New" Comfort Enhanced is processed the same way as the old Comfort Enhanced (neither are Free Form, they are just digitally surfaced).

Essentially the "New" Comfort falls into the same place as the old Comfort: a very good (though not GREAT) progressive with A LOT of marketing behind it. I doubt we'll see a "Classic" Comfort, since the "New" Comfort isn't worse than the old. Not much better mind you, but not worse.

And for the record, I preferred New Coke.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Clearly your judgment is faulty...
    Lol
    Kidding. You have a lot of good posts.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    so is the new comfort more similar to crystal pepsi?

it *IS* different... but why?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The "New" Comfort is the same as the old Comfort with slightly larger viewing areas. The standard "New" Comfort is processed the same way as the old Comfort, and the "New" Comfort Enhanced is processed the same way as the old Comfort Enhanced (neither are Free Form, they are just digitally surfaced).

Essentially the "New" Comfort falls into the same place as the old Comfort: a very good (though not GREAT) progressive with A LOT of marketing behind it. I doubt we'll see a "Classic" Comfort, since the "New" Comfort isn't worse than the old. Not much better mind you, but not worse.

WFRUIT, what has become of old Comfort? Is it available at all or has all the old product been pulled?
    I'm guessing that Essilor switched to digitally surfaced glass molds for the New Comfort; they are still a front side molded PAL. I think we can assume that the standard lens is generated in traditional form and the 'Enhanced' is the same blank but backside CNC generated, not true freeform with optimization etc.

Essilor is the marketing king but you can learn very little about any given product by reading their marketing material. My lab rep came in with a whole packet of 'information' for New Comfort. As usual, page after page of words and pictures more notable for what it didn't say than what it said (but lots of nice pictures of a woman....trying to balance on her stilettos? Man, she looks un-Comfort-able to me).

Occupation
    Can you forward the pics?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post

A.B.E. dosn't count towards their women???:bbg::shiner:

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep...New Comfort = Not freeform or digital in any way

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nope - threw it all away. But here you go Mr Curious :)
    http://www.variluxusa.com/Pages/default.aspx

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'll break it down for you:

You are an optician brand-loyal to the Varilux Comfort: "I really like Varilux Comfort. It's always been good to me. I don't like change, neither."

But, you have pangs of guilt: "Well, a lot of these magazines, and Bess down at the other optical in town, have been talking 'bout those new-fangled progressives. What am I missing?"

Fortunately for you, Essilor has a new niche product in mind for the brand-loyal optician that wants to feel like he's keeping up--Comfort Enhanced (!): "Now I can be anchored to the past as well as cutting-edge! Thank you, Essilor!"

Occupation
    For the most part, all of the old product has been pulled. Labs may have a stray old pair here and there, but that's about it. If I had to guess (and this is only a GUESS), I would bet that Essilor will be dumping all the old Comforts into the discount outlets, such as Costco, BJ's, Wal-Mart, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see these companies having big progressive sales in the next few months, with an extra big push near the end of the year when insurance benefits run out.

Also note that the "new" Comfort is not available in all of the materials that the old Comfort came in, such 1.60, 1.67, or any Polarized material, as well as glass (1.60 Clear and 1.60 PGX). I'm sure that Essilor will at least get around to the high index and polarized, but no release date has come down yet. My prediction is that release of the "new" Comfort in Polarized will conincide with Essilor's new big marketing push of the Xperio brand.

Note that there is also the "New" Comfort Enhanced as well....
    Last edited by WFruit; 07-28-2010 at 12:56 PM. Reason: All this knowledge, and we're not even a Varilux lab....
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yawn.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I would bet that Essilor will be dumping......into the discount outlets, such as Costco, BJ's, Wal-Mart, etc. ....see these companies having big progressive sales
    This is nothing new.

Occupation
    http://essilorlenses.com/NR/rdonlyre...PagerFINAL.pdf

That has everything Essilor thinks you need to know about it :hammer:.

Page 2 is at least reasonably informative about what they changed, though not necessarily about how they changed it....

A really great breakdown of the new lens can be found here: http://eyeoverheard.wordpress.com/20...2-0/#more-9629

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    A.B.E. dosn't count towards their women???:bbg::shiner:
    That would be discrimination, I'm insulted!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's been suggested that Varilux will condense into Physio and New Comfort with standard and enhanced versions. All other lenses in the Varilux family, including everything360, will disappear. You have to assume they've got freeform stuff coming down also; who uses Ipseo?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    It's been suggested that Varilux will condense into Physio and New Comfort with standard and enhanced versions. All other lenses in the Varilux family, including everything360, will disappear. You have to assume they've got freeform stuff coming down also; who uses Ipseo?
    Well, the New Comfort Short is the Ellipse (I don't care what anyone at Essilor says, they are the same design), so it's gone. The Panamic has been on it's way out for a while. The 360 series is being replaced by the Enhanced series all around, so it's gone too. And I don't think I've ever seen an Ipseo...at all....ever...which is wierd because I think they're on the 4th version of that lens.

Their Free Form lens is the Ideal, and I've heard some great things about it (from Essilor) and some really bad things about it (from people who have actually tried it). Which is why their possible aquisition of Shamir would make sense. If you can't get it right, buy someone who can....(if you can't beat them, absorb them...)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Let's not forget that E owns SA and SA produces a fairly good FF PAL the Unique, food for thought.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Comfort 2 will be available in more materials in September, according to my sources.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Comfort 2 will be available in more materials in September, according to my sources.
    Yes, the following are scheduled to be released in September 2010. Although my source for this is the Essilor product release flyer, so who knows
    1.60 Clear
    1.60 Transitions Grey and Brown
    1.67 Clear
    1.67 Transitions Grey and Brown

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    Let's not forget that E owns SA and SA produces a fairly good FF PAL the Unique, food for thought.
    Actually, I forget about the Unique pretty much most of the time. I've heard that some ECP's that have tried it have had good sucess with it. I think part of the problem is that it's not available to be produced outside of SA's lab, so most wholesalers aren't bothering to offer it. Especially if they can do other brands in house, with more control over the process, and for a lower cost.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    How about drawings of the Pics??

BTW, Can't tell you how sick I am at the thought of more "new" progressives out there. OMG, when will they bust out the molds for the Adaptar, slap a different engraving on their and call it the Whoopty Dooo Enhanced P.O.S.(Position of Schlop) lens. Just like Chinpoko Mon- You got to buy it-got to buy it-NOW!!
    Last edited by FVCCHRIS; 07-30-2010 at 01:12 PM.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Thread Information