No announcement yet.

VSP and Costco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh! That's why now I can send in CMS1500 to VSP and get paid directly and I do not need to ask my "out-of-network" VSP patients to pickup their eyeglasses AFTER they receive the VSP check.

Haleluya
    Paul @ Silicon Valley California

Comment

Originally posted by a1vo View Post
      Oh! That's why now I can send in CMS1500 to VSP and get paid directly and I do not need to ask my "out-of-network" VSP patients to pickup their eyeglasses AFTER they receive the VSP check.

Haleluya

But how would you know how much VSP reimburses to calculate how much the patient needs to pay beyond what is covered? Each plan reimburses a little differently, don't they? Besides, I thought all out-of-network payments go directly to the patients, not providers.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeball View Post
        But how would you know how much VSP reimburses to calculate how much the patient needs to pay beyond what is covered? Each plan reimburses a little differently, don't they? Besides, I thought all out-of-network payments go directly to the patients, not providers.
        "patients to pickup their eyeglasses AFTER they receive the VSP check."
        It looks like this is VSP's way of weaning the patients away from the traditional type (OD) providers. And why not? If VSP can reimburse a lower rate to the pt. then they would to an OD, that's more money in their pocket. If they can give even less to Costco, and less still to Frames Direct, why in the world would they promote their panel ODs?

I see this as phase 3 (of 5). The traditional VSP providers were the vehicle to capture market share. For the most part, that has been accomplished. Now, the search (and they don't have to search far) for avenues that will net them more profit is on. Non traditional providers (lowest overhead) are lined up ready to take over.

I'd hold the "Haleluya"...unless of course you are Costco, or Frames Direct.
        Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Comment

Originally posted by Johns View Post
          It looks like this is VSP's way of weaning the patients away from the traditional type (OD) providers. And why not? If VSP can reimburse a lower rate to the pt. then they would to an OD, that's more money in their pocket. If they can give even less to Costco, and less still to Frames Direct, why in the world would they promote their panel ODs?

I see this as phase 3 (of 5). The traditional VSP providers were the vehicle to capture market share. For the most part, that has been accomplished. Now, the search (and they don't have to search far) for avenues that will net them more profit is on. Non traditional providers (lowest overhead) are lined up ready to take over.

I'd hold the "Haleluya"...unless of course you are Costco, or Frames Direct.
          It's true that VSP would benefit by paying less to out-of-network providers, but the patient wouldn't go to an out-of-network provider because they have to pay more out of pocket. So in your case, the patient would wait for the check to come, then bring the check to your shop, and then you calculate how much he has to pay based on how much was paid on the VSP check, right? The difference between your usual and customary fees and what was paid on the out-of-network check is the amount in question here. Isn't it usually higher than what the patient would normally pay if they were in-network? That is why it is hard to convince a VSP patient go out-of-network, unless your fees are really low.

Comment

Originally posted by Eyeball View Post
            It's true that VSP would benefit by paying less to out-of-network providers, but the patient wouldn't go to an out-of-network provider because they have to pay more out of pocket. So in your case, the patient would wait for the check to come, then bring the check to your shop, and then you calculate how much he has to pay based on how much was paid on the VSP check, right? The difference between your usual and customary fees and what was paid on the out-of-network check is the amount in question here. Isn't it usually higher than what the patient would normally pay if they were in-network? That is why it is hard to convince a VSP patient go out-of-network, unless your fees are really low.

That is true, but unlike in the past, VSP is not making the barriers to out-of-network as high as they once were.

Comment

Sorry, not true. They denied my office (3 months ago) when the OD tried to sign up. They sited the OD owner clause.
              Ouch! Hey friend, are you fixing to give up the ship and sign on with these optical pirates? Guess things are getting tough all around. I wish you the best however you choose.
              Your friend, the original O.D.,[ Optical Devil ]

Comment

Originally posted by Bill West View Post
                Ouch! Hey friend, are you fixing to give up the ship and sign on with these optical pirates? Guess things are getting tough all around. I wish you the best however you choose.
                Your friend, the original O.D.,[ Optical Devil ]
                No, not at all. However, I just opened up 2 new offices, and I have the same OD working both of them. Although he is booking nicely, he thought he had more room on his schedule, so he thought he'd add "another 3rd party plan". Little did he know that this is not just "another 3rd party plan".

It was actually humorous to watch him sputter when they told him that he couldn't be on the panel due to his association with me...an optician! I told him the problem could be easily remedied by simply giving me $200k (I gave him the discounted rate:bbg:) and taking over ownership of the practice. He wasn't amused.

Comment

No, not at all. However, I just opened up 2 new offices, and I have the same OD working both of them. Although he is booking nicely, he thought he had more room on his schedule, so he thought he'd add "another 3rd party plan". Little did he know that this is not just "another 3rd party plan".

It was actually humorous to watch him sputter when they told him that he couldn't be on the panel due to his association with me...an optician! I told him the problem could be easily remedied by simply giving me $200k (I gave him the discounted rate:bbg:) and taking over ownership of the practice. He wasn't amused.
                  WHEW!!!! Shame on me for even thinking you would do this. Hey, he can buy me out for less but I've always been CHEAP or is that CHEEP?

Comment

Not true at all. The intent of the program isn't to hurt private practice. Doing nothing and allowing EyeMed to take the deals at Trader Joe's and other pilot customers they are trying to win back would significantly hurt you, me, and other independents as we would way more often than not, NOT see that patient again.

What's happening here is nothing new. It's out of network benefits just called something different. Big deal if Costco can now log online to file claims. The patient is still willing to pay more to NOT see the private practice doc. Percentage wise, that is low single digits. However, in order to compete at the provider level and even have a shot at these clients, it had to be done. Don't say it's VSP trying to score anything other than a previous client back in order to HELP private practice.

Comment

Originally posted by racethe1320 View Post
                      Big deal if Costco can now log online to file claims. The patient is still willing to pay more to NOT see the private practice doc. Percentage wise, that is low single digits. However, in order to compete at the provider level and even have a shot at these clients, it had to be done. Don't say it's VSP trying to score anything other than a previous client back in order to HELP private practice.
                      Yes it is a BIG deal!
                      I lose 1-3 patients a day that dont want to go through the reimbursement process themselves! Why Costco has to be any different than regular office. Who cares who owns it! We are licensed to provide the service!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Don't say it's VSP trying to score anything other than a previous client back in order to HELP private practice.
                        This is interesting!?!?!?
                        How?

Comment

Don't say it's VSP trying to score anything other than a previous client back in order to HELP private practice.
                          Are you on VSP's payroll?

Comment

With HELP like that, who needs enemies?

Comment

Big deal if Costco can now log online to file claims. The patient is still willing to pay more to NOT see the private practice doc. Percentage wise, that is low single digits. However, in order to compete at the provider level and even have a shot at these clients, it had to be done.
                              Hmm...It was a big deal before. Now all of the sudden they can log on and file claims? Sounds like a pretty big deal to me.

Please finish the above sentence. "VSP is trying to HELP private practice...(HOW?)"
                              They are trying to "help" private practice like Essilor is trying to "help" private practice by competing against them.

Are you on VSP's payroll?
                              I don't think that it's been lost on anyone that you appear to be commenting from a position of authority on the matter. (I have seen no "IMO", so I assume you know this info from sources we are not privy to.)

So, tell us more about how VSP is out to "help" private practice...

Comment

Originally posted by LENNY View Post
                                This is interesting!?!?!?
                                How?
                                How many Trader Joe workers do you see on a regular basis?

Because if Trader Joe's stays with Eye Med, you have less than a 50% chance of seeing that client. EyeMed clearly directs their patients to their own retail shops not private practice. If VSP gets them back, it's less than 5% that patients will go out of network. So complain all you want, if VSP does nothing, you gain nothing. They are doing what they need to do in order to stay competitive and put patients back in the hands of independent ECP's.

Comment

Working...
                                X