Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Briot alta edger problems!!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused Briot alta edger problems!!!

I'm just wondering if anyone else has had issues with their new briot edgers. I keep having axis issues on a brand new ALTA edger. I first purchased a new Briot Accura CX edger and I had so many problems that I finally upgraded to the new Alta line and I'm still having the same kind of issues. Does anyone know what the heck is going on with Briot???

Thanks

Jeff

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are you sure it's not the blocks/pads/rikki's? Same amount off axis? One eye or both? One material or all. Super hydro's or uncoated also?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Are you sure it's not the blocks/pads/rikki's? Same amount off axis? One eye or both? One material or all. Super hydro's or uncoated also?
    I was using only 3M leap III pads and I've used 3M leap LSE pads for slippery A/R's. Briot now only wants me to use their pads BRIOT/WECO PADS.

I'm only having trouble with small B polys using the small blocks coming out off axis. The pads aren't slipping the whole lens is turning with the block not moving off axis. This is one very strange issue. Briot is now hitting 1000, ie. 2 new edgers I've gotten new were both lemons.:angry:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    have you tried a slower/lighter feed rate? Have you tried using a rikki type pad? Acetone clean your blocks also.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    have you tried a slower/lighter feed rate? Have you tried using a rikki type pad? Acetone clean your blocks also.
    I've tried all the different settings fragile and AR settings. I still have problems with small b frames. I still have an old Accura CX that I can do small b frames with no problems on even a minus ten poly. There new edgers haven't been working properly for me. I've had two bad edgers so far and I'm waiting for someone to repair the brand new Alta that I have now.

Jeff

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Try cutting them 20 mm oversize first, then if they slip you can reblock them, and a smaller material removal might help.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Does anyone have a Briot Alta Edger on Optiboard???? I chose Briot because I've had great success with their edgers in the past. I'm not currently have success with their new edgers. I've talked with a few others in my area that are not happy with Briot. I'm curious if other optiboarders have heard bad reports about briot.

Thanks,

Jeff
    Last edited by jeffsoptical; 07-09-2010 at 08:38 PM. Reason: sp

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Has anyone ever had a good report on a Briot edger? Only when they get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsoptical View Post
    Does anyone have a Briot Alta Edger on Optiboard???? I chose Briot because I've had great success with their edgers in the past. I'm not currently have success with their new edgers. I've talked with a few others in my area that are not happy with Briot. I'm curious if other optiboarders have heard bad reports about briot.

Thanks,

Jeff
    The only users of a Briot that are happy have never used any other piece of equipment!:bbg:
    If they had, they would realize that the logic and results are just not good.

I returned one a few years ago and have had an Santinelli we love and hope to upgrade to the "5 axis" version in the fall. We also had a Essilor Kappa that my friend still uses everyday for the past 10 years or so.

Get your money back if you can.

Craig

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    The only users of a Briot that are happy have never used any other piece of equipment!:bbg:
    If they had, they would realize that the logic and results are just not good.

I returned one a few years ago and have had an Santinelli we love and hope to upgrade to the "5 axis" version in the fall. We also had a Essilor Kappa that my friend still uses everyday for the past 10 years or so.

Get your money back if you can.

Craig

Thank you Craig for ur honesty about briot. I've gotten the serious run around from them. I have their top TECH coming to see what is wrong with this edger.

Jeff

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a Briot Acura, and I can't say I've had any problems with it. My biggest issue comes from the magnetic blocks...but that's a whole other topic. I didn't buy mine directly through Briot, though...so when the tech came to install it for me, it had been checked out/calibrated before he delivered it to me, I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just left a large, independent practice that had a fairly new Briot ALta. I found that in order to stop slippage on super-slick coated lenses, I had to use straight 90% clear alcohol to clean the lenses (not mint green, which has oils in it) and only RIKKI brand non-slip pads. Make sure your settings and calibrations are exact, too. I found I had axis issues when my calibration was off (which happened frequently for some reason). The tech was out there frequently to re-calibrate and troubleshoot. Also, use the "champagne glass" setting on super-slick, hydrophobic coated lenses, not a faster setting. Of course, if you are in a large practice, as I was, I found the Alta to be very SLOOOOW and time-consuming. I was frustrated a lot over that machine, and I truly thought I was developing rage issues over the amount of breakages I had. :)
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Craig for ur honesty about briot. I've gotten the serious run around from them. I have their top TECH coming to see what is wrong with this edger.

Jeff
    They sent out the top tech and then the VP; they then agreed to take back a machine that did not do what it was purchased to do! That is cut lenses and not **** off the operator and/or leave decent work, not sloppy off axis work.
    You need to use another machine to realize all the is wrong with the Briot.
    Craig

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep up with this thread after Briot's top tech resolves all of my issues with this new machine. Thanks again :)

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    They sent out the top tech and then the VP; they then agreed to take back a machine that did not do what it was purchased to do! That is cut lenses and not **** off the operator and/or leave decent work, not sloppy off axis work.
    You need to use another machine to realize all the is wrong with the Briot.
    Craig
    I'm so glad to hear other peoples thoughts about Briot. THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE!!! lol :D

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Briot's top tech is coming today!!! What do my fellow optiboarders think the outcome will be? Will I now have a super high tech and precise edger? Will the edger be able to make small b poly and trivex and 1.67 without axis being way out of tolerance? Will I be able to edge slippery AR lenses that are such the rage with the newest techology with them being perfectly on axis? Do I have a reliable edger that is not going to always be having their techs always having to service their machines.

I thought I was buying one of the best edgers from one of the best companies. I have lost all faith in Briot.

Jeff

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    BTW Briot told me that all of the remakes are coming out of my pocket for all axis issues and breakages. They told me having to remake lenses are just part of doing business and they are not responsible.

Why would they not be responsible??? Is it my fault that they have sold me a lemon edger that can't do the one thing all edgers should do BE ON AXIS.

JEFF

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sigh.. I have no personal experience with Briot, all I've ever bought have been AIT, Optronics, or Edgemaster (reconfigured for rimless only as it never could produce a decent bevel), not including the "PacMan" Weco edger I leased and got rid of ASAP.
    But I know someone who had one 20 years ago. Every time I went to visit him, that Briot was in pieces, seems it had a long bearing that ran across the top of it that for some reason was not sealed against penetration of coolant, and the bearing gummed up and corroded frequently.

But if your Briot came off axis from the get-go, I would be more forceful with them, like take back this POS or pay for being improperly calibrated from the factory. Pick one.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Sigh.. I have no personal experience with Briot, all I've ever bought have been AIT, Optronics, or Edgemaster (reconfigured for rimless only as it never could produce a decent bevel), not including the "PacMan" Weco edger I leased and got rid of ASAP.
    But I know someone who had one 20 years ago. Every time I went to visit him, that Briot was in pieces, seems it had a long bearing that ran across the top of it that for some reason was not sealed against penetration of coolant, and the bearing gummed up and corroded frequently.

But if your Briot came off axis from the get-go, I would be more forceful with them, like take back this POS or pay for being improperly calibrated from the factory. Pick one.

This is the third tech that has came to my business. Will the 3rd time be the magical charm? Your guess is as good as mine.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Is he there yet????
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	popcorn-1.gif 
Views:	913 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	6943
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What happened?
    DId the edger fairy fix the bad machine before it ate anymore lenses?
    Craig

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Waiting to find out what's the verdict???

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Waiting to find out what's the verdict???
    Inquiring minds want to know.....what happened??

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    STILL WAITING ON A CALL FROM BRIOT ON THE VERDICT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm sick and tired of waiting on this company!!!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We are going to court!!! They have been given enough time for them to repair my lemon edger!!! Wish me luck. Tell me any advice on suing briot for my money back!!!

Thanks again

Jeff

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Threaten them with bad publicity on Optiboard.......:bbg:

Seriously, I hope you can get it worked out with them without having to go to court. Good luck!

Thread Information