Thread: Anyone got a good Poly or POF waiver I can use?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Anyone got a good Poly or POF waiver I can use?

Hey everyone, I'm trying to find well worded waivers for poly and POF's.
    Let me know if I can borrow yours... :) Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So not exactly what you asked for, but think about this for a second.

The only reason to have a signed waiver is when something goes wrong and you can waive that waiver (no pun intended) in the air and say "sorry, not responsible, you signed this waiver."

However that doesn't solve a thing as you will still have an upset patient with a problem that needs to be solved. I think your time would be better thinking ahead as to what you are going to do *when* a POF breaks in the lab etc. How are you going to service them and solve their problem. A waiver does not accomplish this, and I find them useless. As far as poly, waiver or not, it doesn't protect you from getting sued. Just one of the many joys of living in the good ole litigious USA.
    ~CBO

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It won't stop you from being responsible for the POF either if they decide its worth sueing for.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Actually...

Actually, I do have two good waivers. pm your email and I'll send them to you in attachments.

And the waiver issue legality depends on the state.

In Missouri and Kansas both, you HAVE to have a signed waiver when a parent declines an impact resistant lens for their child.

also in my states, if you have a signed waiver on the pof then the courts will take your side if the patient sues. (had this happen at 3 of my employers...and only one was the big blue corporate dragon.)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by canaanlilli View Post
    In Missouri and Kansas both, you HAVE to have a signed waiver when a parent declines an impact resistant lens for their child.
    Does anyone sell lenses that are not impact resistant?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Only when people don't like the price set forward. I think I have sold 5 in the past year that weren't medicaid.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know you're dotting i's and crossing t's but check out this thread I started not long ago--

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...-you-been-sued
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 07-06-2010 at 09:02 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

favor!

Could your do me a favor and send me a copy of those waivers tooo ? my emails is ccv@onebox.com, it would be greatly appreciated !
    Quote Originally Posted by canaanlilli View Post
    Actually, I do have two good waivers. pm your email and I'll send them to you in attachments.

And the waiver issue legality depends on the state.

also in my states, if you have a signed waiver on the pof then the courts will take your side if the patient sues. (had this happen at 3 of my employers...and only one was the big blue corporate dragon.)

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Didn't they stop a boat from China with Coastal's internet glasses that couldn't pass a drop ball test?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Waiver? I'm sure in hindsight, if you *did* have a liability problem, and someone told you you could have avoided it for the *difference* in cost between the "regular" lenses and the more expensive "impact-resistant" ones, you would have gladly coughed up said difference.

So why not do this proactively, and sleep well at night? I do.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Waiver? I'm sure in hindsight, if you *did* have a liability problem, and someone told you you could have avoided it for the *difference* in cost between the "regular" lenses and the more expensive "impact-resistant" ones, you would have gladly coughed up said difference.

So why not do this proactively, and sleep well at night? I do.

B
    +1

The cost difference to you certainly isn't worth the risk of headache. I wouldn't send anything out that would give me any reason to be liable. If you really want those customers' business, just give em the poly. Alternatively, if you don't want the few nickels that Medicaid sale will bring your office, just say no thanks and decline the sale.

As far as POFs, the only possible benefit a waiver could gain you is as a talking point with the patient about the risk of using old frames. I just skip the waiver and go straight to the talking, explaining what might happen. But in the end I am not compelled to accept my patient's POF, I accept it because I choose to, and if I do I have de facto accepted professional responsibility. If I break it, I'll replace it. If my lab breaks it, they will replace it. If it looks like it's going to break, I say no thank, can't use that frame. It's a bad place to be if your so desperate to make every sale you will take on unnecessary risks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    +1

The cost difference to you certainly isn't worth the risk of headache. I wouldn't send anything out that would give me any reason to be liable. If you really want those customers' business, just give em the poly. Alternatively, if you don't want the few nickels that Medicaid sale will bring your office, just say no thanks and decline the sale.

As far as POFs, the only possible benefit a waiver could gain you is as a talking point with the patient about the risk of using old frames. I just skip the waiver and go straight to the talking, explaining what might happen. But in the end I am not compelled to accept my patient's POF, I accept it because I choose to, and if I do I have de facto accepted professional responsibility. If I break it, I'll replace it. If my lab breaks it, they will replace it. If it looks like it's going to break, I say no thank, can't use that frame. It's a bad place to be if your so desperate to make every sale you will take on unnecessary risks.
    We use a POF waiver when we've explained risks to the patient and they still choose to go ahead with using their own even if we tell them we would rather not, i'm not going to turn away anyone's money, and the waiver states that they will be responsible for purchasing a new frame if it does break not us, they're usually amenable to this, and the last time i had it happen to me the woman was super mad and i was like "well, this is what we told you" and it solved the issue faster w/less angst. Otherwise people only hear what they want to hear and get mad about it later, at least that has been my experience :)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Medicaid only pays for POLY here under a very few circumstances, such as amblyopia. Therefore we rarely get poly for medicaid patients, they are unwilling or unable to spend on the upgrade. Personally, I dislike using poly ever, and now that Trivex has been classified "safety" and impact resistant, I just use our outsource lab's version of Trivex. I'm still amazed at how many people are still wearing poly.
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just charged patients 25.00 if they are using there own frame. This either makes them buy a new one or we are both taking a bet on the frame not braking. I am the only one making them so I am not to worry about braking them. I usually know before hand if its will make it though the process if I see that they are in really bad shape I just will not do them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you know, and I'm just beginning to develop a sensitivity here, using POF SHOULD BE extra charge. The frame needs cleaning to not only prevent nose and eyewire cheese from gumming up my tracer, but we need to be proactive about communicating cross contaminating other frames and equipment with micro-bacteria.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And if they bring you a brand new frame they got online..........?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    POF is 25.00. If the frame did not come from my office they are getting charged the $25.00. I do give them a 25.00 credit if they decide to get a frame from us.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    You smash it into a million tiny pieces.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    If new and reasonably unworn, I'd not charge for POF...unless unfamiliar rimless.

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have never charged for POF, but it makes clear sense to me to do so. How do those of you that do, how do you present it?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Dear Cheapass Patient, You are being asked to acknowledge that you have been duly and fully warned that your product choices and requests may put your life and your vision in great harm, up to including, but not limited to, a violent death, the fleas of a thousand camels infesting your groins and permanent blindness. You agree that you are cheap, ignorant fool, who declines the advice, wisdom and knowledge of an optical professional who posses vast knowledge and experience. We recommend __(product here)__ for your safety and optical health, and you acknowledge that you were fully counselled that by ignoring our recommendation you will unleash a Zombie invasion into your little, narrow, and soon to be dark optical world. Your accept that your choices are defying sound and establish scientific knowledge and industry standard practice, and that the terrible consequences are yours alone to bear in hellish agony similar to the repeated self torture of a child star who was forever doomed to live in Tabloid shame. You hereby absolve now and forever ____(dispensers name)___ of any all responsibility resulting in the inevitable tragedy that will surely occur as a result of your actions, neglect and stupidity. Signed ____(patients name)___ on this ___(date)__ of 20__.
    Last edited by sharpstick777; 10-31-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Dear Cheapass Patient, You are being asked to acknowledge that you have been duly and fully warned that your product choices and requests may put your life and your vision in great harm, up to including violent death and permanent blindness. You agree that you are cheap, ignorant fool, who declines the advice, wisdom and knowledge of an optical professional who posses vast knowledge and experience. We recommend __(product here)__ for your safety and optical health, and you acknowledge that you were full counseled on that ignoring that recommendation you will unleash a Zombie invasion into your little, narrow optical world. Your accept that your choices are defying sound and establish scientific knowledge and industry standard practice, and that the terrible consequences are yours alone to bear in hellish agony similar to the repeated self torture of a child star who was forever doomed to live in Tabloid shame. You hereby Absolve ____(dispensers name)___ of any all inevitable tragedy that will surely occur as a result of your actions, neglect and stupidity. Signed ____(patients name)___ on this ___(date)__ of 20__.
    Wouldn't it be quicker to copy your middle finger and put it on the page? Though my favorite part would be the zombie invasion
    Last edited by jpways; 10-31-2013 at 02:47 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optoinq View Post
    I have never charged for POF, but it makes clear sense to me to do so. How do those of you that do, how do you present it?
    We explain to the patient that any/all frame(s) require proper cleaning prior to replacing the lenses. If it is a metal we take the frame apart completely, clean it ultra sonically and by hand, replace the nose pads and go over the adjustment 35.00. For a plastic frame ultra sonic and hand cleaning, oil the hinges, and we go over the frame with mineral or olive oil 30.00.
    I do have a policy in place for anyone under the age of 18 years, trivex or poly no exceptions. POF s are not sent to managed care labs like a VSP. We have had issues in the past and there is nothing more distracting in a dispensary then an angry patients rant. You just don't look good with a waiver in hand saying,"I told you so", under any lighting conditions.
    Last edited by huskypaul; 11-01-2013 at 06:58 PM.

Thread Information