Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratches!!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Scratches!!!

Lately we have been having issues with a large amount of scratches skyrocketing our breakage percentage. We have tried many cloths and have finally settled on disposables which seem to have the best results. We use denatured alcohol as our primary cleaner. Any tips/tricks to reduce scratches would be appreciated.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It's probably the software.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Umm?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    filter your polish, change it often.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    That's one i haven't heard. What do you use to filter it?

Occupation
    pantyhose at the end of the tube returning to the bucket.

ps not fishnet ;)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Check also whatever you can find in that pantyhose ( the one at the end of the return pipe obviously...), if it is foreign matter I would suspect the casing and impeller of the polish pump to be on the way out. Stainless pump housing and impellers do help a lot.

However if you still suspect the clenaing cloths the scratches should be fair and square on both sides of the lens, anything related to the surfacing process (...Pantyhose) would naturally be more on the RX surface only.

Better Best than Biggest

Georg Mayer

Bad address email on file leestaniforth's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    when you refer to this, are you taking about during ( after fining and polishing) at QC or within or the end of the glazing process?

cheers
    lee

OptiBoardaholic Ineed Chocolate's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by leestaniforth View Post
    when you refer to this, are you taking about during ( after fining and polishing) at QC or within or the end of the glazing process?

cheers
    lee
    If I am reading correctly, I think George is speaking of the surfacing process..fining and polishing (I'll be corrected here, if Im wrong :) Also, in the past, I have found that during fininshing, when the edger arm pushes up against the block to hold the lens in the edger, if you are using a 1/2 eye block in the edger and a full size chuck on the stationary end, sometimes the AR will splinter, making very uniform tiny lines, sometimes half-moon in shape. I don't know if I am explaining this correctly, but those fine lines can sometimes be miscontrued as scratches...to me, I noticed it more with Crizal products on very thin lenses (low minus poly or 1.60).
    "Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves."
    --Carl Jung

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Yes, correct, I was referring to the surfacing (Fining and Polishing). I

f this is about edging I can confirm the two types of hairline cracks ocurring in edging mentioned in the previous posting, i.e.
    - Center cracks, mostly radial or partially radial on minus lenses with thin CT's.
    - edge cracks coming in sligtly off perpendicular, in pairs or more parallel, extending approx. 1/6 of an inch.

The first ones can be avoided by using just the necessary chuck pressure, working with the largest possible pad, using a pad with a matching base curve, if not available than pad must have a steeper base curve rather. Use a gentle cut if your machine allows, otherwise you might think about two cuts if you are starting with a large lens cutting down to a small shape.

The second one is of similar nature, stress when the lens hits the wheel the first time, slow cut program or cutting twice, not taking off too much material in one go.

Keep your wheel in good orking order, use the correct wheel suitable for the lens material you are trying to cut.

Georg Mayer

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    What type of surfacing equiptment are we talking about and is it in just a certain material. There are so many possible answers-emery pads- polish pads-chilled polish temp.-emery water temp. Running times emery&pol,pressures on the heads.Begin with the generator curve and stock removal? Curves to flat or to strong really are important-check thickness before fining and after fining to check stock removal. Better yet if you want to talk about it give me a # to call. Been surfacing 47years,started with a 390 shuron and now into LOH machinery.Ultra robotic-LOH compact and SL2 dry cut generator by coburn.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Thanks guys, Georg i am using a closed loop polish system on each polisher with chiller coils in the reservoir i have a couple ideas on incorporating this filter but it may be a little more difficult. Leestaniforth it does seem to be more in our finishing/inspecting process the lenses are inspected prior to being hard coated and sent to finish and less scratches seem to come from our surface side. Ineed Chocolate we have experienced the crazing effect on A.r lenses that are run on an incorrect cycle with too much chuck pressure on the edgers but that's not been a huge problem. What i am seeing the most of is light scratches in random areas of the lens front and back leading me to believe some of it is mishandling or bad technique. I have tried several tapes and felt on our lensometers and several cloth/cleaning procedure combos. Was kinda just looking for any suave tricks of the trade i haven't heard of.

Occupation
    Do you edge glass? are your edgers on recycled water?

You may have a pantyhose fetish by the time I'm done.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    We do not edge glass, we run all dry cut machines that use non recyclable coolant to polish.

Occupation
    So I cant get you to buy anymore pantyhose?

Wash the lenses before deblocking.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Yes we do a lot of glass because we have a filtering lense used in detached retinas. All are photo lenses and fired with gas for hours to get the wanted color. We also were a serengeti lab. We still do them but blanks are hard to come by.We use a tank that needs to be changed so yes we recycle the water but filter it. If I can help you call me at 607-734-4251 and I will share info. Just ask for Bill Brown. I make my own segments and cement them when you can't get certain adds.We laminate glass lenses like 1.70&1.805 for high rxs that need a bifocal.X-ray glass rx's as well.If you can write it I can make it. Love challanges.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantech View Post
    Lately we have been having issues with a large amount of scratches skyrocketing our breakage percentage. We have tried many cloths and have finally settled on disposables which seem to have the best results. We use denatured alcohol as our primary cleaner. Any tips/tricks to reduce scratches would be appreciated.
    There are some devices now, like a pen, which can help you the scratch.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by One science View Post
    There are some devices now, like a pen, which can help you the scratch.
    I'm calling BS.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file lee staniforth's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    if you have marks on both sides of the lens there are many possibilities, however it could be poor handling causing the issues. After the lenses have finished the cycle, de-block in water (regardless of diameter) and run under old water straight away. Now inspect the lens and note if the marks are there. Keeping records to record fault at each stage will help you to resolve.

cheers
    lee

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    I'm calling BS.
    One science may be referring to a glass brush which I remember from the 70's. It was like a pen with the end having a bunch of glass fibers bundled like an artists flat brush. You could rub it over shallow scratches on glass lenses and it would somehow blend the scratch.

Am I remembering correctly anyone?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    One science may be referring to a glass brush which I remember from the 70's. It was like a pen with the end having a bunch of glass fibers bundled like an artists flat brush. You could rub it over shallow scratches on glass lenses and it would somehow blend the scratch.

This was the procedure we used to convert flattops to Youngers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

When I worked lab back in the 70's we used a super ball cut in half put on a spindle and used rouge to polish out scratches on glass lenses. ( Man I'm getting old...) :bbg:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Are suggesting to wash the lenses before deblocking after being edged? After surfacing a lens we do rinse under cold water after deblocking and removing tape.

Occupation
    Yes and keep a water dip bucket next to handstone to dip the lens after pin bevel too.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    I'm hear to talk the optical business if you want to get together but I'd rather talk on the phone then over the internet. It's hard to communicate different situations on line but I love to talk the optical business. I'm the lab manager so call me at 607-734-4251 anytime 7-4:30 ask for Bill Brown-thank you from downtownbillybrown

Thread Information