Thread: What happens to an optician who discusses optics outside of work with consumers??

Banned
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

What happens to an optician who discusses optics outside of work with consumers??

sorry repost i couldnt find my other post.
    Last edited by rocwilder35; 07-01-2010 at 01:11 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rocwilder35 View Post
    They are usually prescribed a very strong medication!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    They are usually prescribed a very strong medication!
    Or beaten with a lens stretcher.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    said lens stretcher, a #1 or #2? or drop a box of optical centers on their foot?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Drowned in Kryptok Oil!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I do it all of the time. So nothing.

You do not get the reason for the consumer rule here. The issue is that many of the advice provided can be subjective. Some of it is objective. But if it is subjective, it is more important that you get fitted by a great optician than taking subjective advice and going to a poor optician. Our service is best dealt with face to face and not over a computer.

It is like with getting medical advice for back issues. Without seeing a professional face to face, we do not know all of the information to help you.

Listen, you live in New York. There is no way you would ever be my customer. So it is not like giving you advice here would be taking money out of my own pocket. You have to really understand that. We are not doing this for money or greed. We are doing this because we actually care about the health of population's eyes. If we were greedy or about the money, we would each be messaging you trying to strike up a sale.

So please be a little more respectful than you have been here the last few days.

Occupation
    oh and FYI - I have been out of the business for 3 years now. So I have NO conflict of interest in it.

Occupation
    Go see Barry, He's in NY, He's an awesome optician and most importantly probably the most polite guy on the board which would make him VERY patient.

edit: maybe he's in long island?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Buy a screw driver and keep it on you all the time.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Rocwilder knows full well the reason behind the consumer posting policy........

He's been told in another inane thread as well as by private message. I am surprised no one said "Go See Harry" You will not find him to be polite to someone trolling these pages, or failing to respond positively to good advice.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I do it all of the time. So nothing.

You do not get the reason for the consumer rule here. The issue is that many of the advice provided can be subjective. Some of it is objective. But if it is subjective, it is more important that you get fitted by a great optician than taking subjective advice and going to a poor optician. Our service is best dealt with face to face and not over a computer.

It is like with getting medical advice for back issues. Without seeing a professional face to face, we do not know all of the information to help you.

Listen, you live in New York. There is no way you would ever be my customer. So it is not like giving you advice here would be taking money out of my own pocket. You have to really understand that. We are not doing this for money or greed. We are doing this because we actually care about the health of population's eyes. If we were greedy or about the money, we would each be messaging you trying to strike up a sale.

So please be a little more respectful than you have been here the last few days.
    You guys are treating every situation the same. There are some questions that cant and shouldn't be answered by an optical pro not examining you personally. Examples would be people asking what is my prescription? What size contacts should i wear? Do i need glasses? Do i qualify for Lasik?

I became irrate because I asked a question about relative magnification. Basically asking if someone has a +4.75 lense are they seeing what an emmetrope sees? I was curious as to whether the size of objects that i see when not wearing glasses are accurate or does my hyperopia make things smaler and then the glasses evens it out. That is a casual type question and it has nothing to do with my prescription. I was really asking a somewhat general qestion on hyperopia that sites like wikipedia and webmd dont go into in depth. If i even ask my doctor that is the opinion of one person. I was not expecting the response I got over a genral question.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Rocwilder35, Please respect our right to decline consumer questions.

Most of us are on here after work in our spare time. We log on because we enjoy chatting to each other, we do this for fun and interest.
    We deal with consumer questions all day, every day which can be rather stressful sometimes and we like to leave work at work.

I would recommend that you book an appointment with your closest Optician or have a look at amazon online, there is a great starting book on Ophthalmic dispensing called:

System for Ophthalmic Dispensing by Clifford W. Brooks OD and Irvin Borish OD DOS LLD DSc (Hardcover - Oct. 16, 2006)

Everything you could possibly want is in there and will give you the 200 pages of theory you first need to know before learning spectacle magnification.

Have a lovely day.

Banned
    Occupation
    The funny thing is thats is what should have happened in the first place. You don't want to answer then don't. Me asking about spectacle magnification could eventually end up being an insightful post that is enjoyable to everyone that contibuted. It seems you have already framed ypour mind that any consumer question or input can't be something enjoyable or useful to you when you peruse the forum.

Occupation
    You guys are treating every situation the same. There are some questions that cant and shouldn't be answered by an optical pro not examining you personally. Examples would be people asking what is my prescription? What size contacts should i wear? Do i need glasses? Do i qualify for Lasik?

I became irrate because I asked a question about relative magnification. Basically asking if someone has a +4.75 lense are they seeing what an emmetrope sees? I was curious as to whether the size of objects that i see when not wearing glasses are accurate or does my hyperopia make things smaler and then the glasses evens it out. That is a casual type question and it has nothing to do with my prescription. I was really asking a somewhat general qestion on hyperopia that sites like wikipedia and webmd dont go into in depth. If i even ask my doctor that is the opinion of one person. I was not expecting the response I got over a genral question.
    But here is the thing. We treat every question the same, because in the past we had difficulty deciding which ones we should answer. We decided it was just easier to make this a professional site.

Now, maybe you were not treated the best, but it did clearly say when you sign up that this site would not allow non-eye care professionals.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ladies and gentlemen, "It's time to put this to rest". The rules are here...they are to be followed. End of story...period. We try to be polite, but the original poster is not, so my recommendation is to stop answering. Kinda like getting a phone call by a consumer at home...just hang up.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The funny thing is thats is what should have happened in the first place. You don't want to answer then don't. Me asking about spectacle magnification could eventually end up being an insightful post that is enjoyable to everyone that contibuted. It seems you have already framed ypour mind that any consumer question or input can't be something enjoyable or useful to you when you peruse the forum.
    I think the issue here is cheapness. If you really would like to know the answers to all of your deep optical questions I am fairly certain you could hire one of our resident gurus around here at an hourly or set rate. They don't come cheap however. :)
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What happens to an optician who discusses optics outside of work with consumers??
    The Optician becomes the sound of one hand clapping. Ommmmmmm.

FWIW, the wet bird never flies by night.
    ...Just ask me...

Thread Information