Thread: Master Paper

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master Paper

Looking for direction. Going to write the Master paper. I'd like to write it on Polarisation. Any ideas as to what about this topic I could write?

Thanks in advance
    "A bargain is something you can't use at a price you can't resist."
    Franklin Jones.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why don't you write about the different types of polarizing filters explaining each variation, show visual aids with charts defining their wave length filtering capacities, the use of different colors in varying densities and the effect of these variable to the filter, manufacturing techniques and their differences (pro's/cons) and the practicle application of polarization as it applies to eyewear and the industry as a whole.

Hmmm, that was easy.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Kev, where were you when I needed the outline for my paper written for me?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    You can also describe the nature of reflection off dielectric surfaces that ultimately leads to the polarization of light (with an emphasis on Brewster's angle), the use of crossed polarized filters to examine optical activity in lens materials with stress applied, the reason why you can't have a clear polarized filter, polarization due to birefringence in certain crystals, and so on.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Deleted
    Last edited by kcount; 06-24-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Double Post
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well one could do a series of papers. One for the masters and then a series of more condensed lite reads that one could submit for CE' accreditation to have published in trade mags. That is if one were enterprising. Hmm.. wonder what that would do for a Master Opticians credibility in their area?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    K-dog and Darryl,

Will you kindly give me an outline of how to do a masters paper? An envelope and stamp would be nice to.

RA, yes I'm being a bit jerky. I just feel a Masters title should be earned the hard way. Do your best paper then maybe submit it to another ABOM for reveiw before you send it in. Let your work stand on its own merrits. If you use these guys ideas, are you going to give them credit?

No short cuts :finger:
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Keep in mind that there is a great deal more to writing a Master's thesis than just asking for advice on potential topics. Also, the ABO actually does offer an outline on how to write a Master's paper; at least they did several years ago. ;)
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    They'll offer you an advisor as well. Seems to defeat the purpose of the title if you don't wholly earn it.

I consulted no one and allowed only my gf to read it for proofing prior to approval. I wanted to earn it.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The purpose of the ABO's Master's paper process is to emulate a typical thesis or dissertation process common to university graduate degree programs. In a typical graduate degree program for a master or doctor of philosophy degree, you generally must choose a thesis or dissertation advisor, who offers guidance and direction as needed.

The purpose of the Master's thesis is to demonstrate that you can make an original and meaningful contribution to the body of ophthalmic optics and dispensing knowledge. It is not necessarily intended to demonstrate your writing ability or sense of creativity.

The majority of the effort required in writing the paper is in formulating the actual substance of thesis, which the thesis advisor will not do for you. He or she should only make recommendations meant to improve the substance of the thesis or the written expression of the substance.

I would be more concerned about defeating the purpose of the "Master" designation through the waning difficulty of the actual examination in the ABO's attempt to appeal to a broader market. The written examination is the only objective assesment used in the ABO's Master certification process.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As the director of several graduate programs, I can assure you Darryl is correct. Each grad student has an adviser(s) to guide them, and that is common practice. I can also tell you that the ABO master's process requires nowhere near the work for any legitimate master's degree.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    As the director of several graduate programs, I can assure you Darryl is correct. Each grad student has an adviser(s) to guide them, and that is common practice. I can also tell you that the ABO master's process requires nowhere near the work for any legitimate master's degree.
    As someone looking to enroll in a Master's program, I agree wholeheartedly.

Thread Information