Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who has recieved ABO or NCLE results for may 2010???

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Don't mind me. I'm just happy I passed. I totally want to see my score, though. Anyone know where they mailed the scores from on Friday- Mars?[/QUOTE]

NY,NY I believe........

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I remember correctly it took a week or two to get my score on the ABO after I found out online that I had passed. This was March/April (can't remember) 2010--you know, the round previous to this one.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you so much for the encouragement! :)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    still nothing in the mail...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    how do they grade the ABO? my actual percent was 62 but my scale score was 70...so i passed...barely!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I think it is scaled depending on the difficulty of the exam but I'm not sure how that is done...

I take it the results came in the mail today??

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Central California received them Sat. June 26th. It shows a mail date of 6/23. I took the test to renew, and got a 91.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Congrats! Just got my results in the mail today 6-28. My scaled score was 87. So glad I passed - now onto the NCLE

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I Passed My NCLE!! WAHOOOOO!!

JG ABOC/NCLE

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Results arrived today, and I passed 'em both. :faint

I'm not happy with my performance, and I don't feel like passing is as much of an accomplishment as it should be. What's the advanced test like? I'd really like to get better on my weak areas and continue moving forward with competency. Is that a good way to gauge progress?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i failed the ABO missed it by 8 points :( guess i will be hitting the books again when my vac here in cali is over and will be taking the exam again in Sept

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilly View Post
    Results arrived today, and I passed 'em both. :faint

I'm not happy with my performance, and I don't feel like passing is as much of an accomplishment as it should be. What's the advanced test like? I'd really like to get better on my weak areas and continue moving forward with competency. Is that a good way to gauge progress?
    First off congrats to you, and everyone else who passed it. Those of you who didn't, well, it is what it is. You know what to do.

Everyone keep in mind, this is the basic certification, and I applaud tigerlilly for considering improving her skill and knowledge, and pursuing advanced certification.

The basic exams have roughly a 50% pass rate and the advanced have a 10% pass rate. They're significantly harder and the scope of information covered is much broader, and more detailed.

Also keep in mind, normally only the "well educated" optician tries for advanced certification, and then passes only 10% of the time. As opposed to those going for the basic certification, they being from entry level all the way to expired masters and achieving 50%.

"Much to learn you have; yes, much to learn" -Yoda
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One wonders why they grade them, its a pass/fail test. If you get 100% it doesnt get you MORE 'ABOness'.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    One wonders why they grade them, its a pass/fail test. If you get 100% it doesnt get you MORE 'ABOness'.
    Kinda like the guy who got straight "C"s in med school is called Dr? Or the guy with the "C" average from Harvard Business who was called Mr. President?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation

the next evolution

As an additional note to Tiger...

I have been in optics most of my life... I scored a 96 on the ABO in November and passed the Advanced in May... barely. If you use the study material as a baseline for what you need to know and then expand your knowledge from there it is passable, but is markedly harder than the ABO. I was told to spend atleast a year studying for the exam by my state board and I have to say in hind sight it was good advice.

There is also no rush to take it right away as you must wait 3 years as an ABO before submitting for your masters.

Congrats to those that passed, I know that most of Wisconsin just got their results today, so you may still be waiting a few more days to get results.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's not so much me wanting the advanced certification and extra letters after my name. I truly thought I'd flunked both the ABO and the NCLE. I'd worked really hard to prepare, annoyed folks like Wes and Fezz with a million questions, taken every practice test I could get my hands on... and I felt like crap when I began reading through the test booklet and had to guess at answer after answer. It wasn't asking questions about things I knew or had studied, and I have no idea how I managed to pass either test. I feel a bit like a fraud, and I want to round out the knowledge that I know I'm lacking. I know nothing about lab work, for example, beyond the things I learned preparing for the test.

I'm just as much of a certified optician as anyone else who has ever passed the test, but does the doctor who graduated last in his class feel confident in his skills and ready to tackle anything? I don't know about him, but I need to continue learning.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's not so much me wanting the advanced certification and extra letters after my name. I truly thought I'd flunked both the ABO and the NCLE. I'd worked really hard to prepare, annoyed folks like Wes and Fezz with a million questions, taken every practice test I could get my hands on... and I felt like crap when I began reading through the test booklet and had to guess at answer after answer. It wasn't asking questions about things I knew or had studied, and I have no idea how I managed to pass either test. I feel a bit like a fraud, and I want to round out the knowledge that I know I'm lacking. I know nothing about lab work, for example, beyond the things I learned preparing for the test.

I'm just as much of a certified optician as anyone else who has ever passed the test, but does the doctor who graduated last in his class feel confident in his skills and ready to tackle anything? I don't know about him, but I need to continue learning.
    Tigerlilly,

You sound like one of "US". There are those who only do things for gain, and then there are those like you, who want to make a difference in someone's life. You are one of the latter and I'm proud to have you here. I believe that the torch can be passed to you someday, because you will strive to earn it. Keep on learning. I've been in this wonderful profession a very long time, and I always appreciate seeing newer Opticians wanting to do more...:)

I hope to meet you one day.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm with you tigerlilly, I too passed, according to the paperwork. I studied and took all the practice tests, and felt pretty confident .....until I started reading the test booklet and seen how much I didn't know!! I took my CPOA and passed in Nov so I thought I'd continue on while I was in test mode. Everyone is telling me that passing is passing and in the grand scheme of things they are right, but I would love to be able to see which questions I missed and how the test is graded! Now, I'm off to tackle the NCLE. Congrats to all that passed and good luck to those on to the next adventure!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just got my results two days ago and woohoo passed with 85!! Now on to the NCLE. I'm in Michigan so you should be getting your results any day now

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Diane, what a lovely post! Thank you very much for your kind words. :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

tigerlilly, your experience seems much like mine. I worked in the field for over a year, seemed to be progressing nicely, took the ABO, passed it and realized how much I didn't know.

Much of the problem with test prep is that the major resources available have much information that is obsolete or is either too advanced for the basic ABO. I have prepped dozens of candidates for the exam and it has been many years since there were questions about ribbon segs, ultex lenses or hilite glass lenses yet much of the material available covers such subjects. Other study guides have the candidate learn more complex subjects like resultant prism or image jump formulas when their time could be better spent on subjects that might actually be on the exam.

I took the Masters exam years ago before the separation into the ABO-AC and ABOM model of today. This may be regarded as heresy here, but much of what you will learn for the ABO advanced exam you will find of very little use in your day to day life as a dispensing optician. That's not to say it isn't good information to know, but I believe your time will be better spent mastering the basics before moving on to the more advanced subjects.

Good luck in your studies.

Thread Information