Thread: Uk football (the proper game)

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Big Smile Uk football (the proper game)

Ok now we seem to have a few extra brits around :D In particular i notice a suprs supporter :hammer: (Is he the only one)....
    Personally i'm a Leeds supporter, but shame on them we seem to be getting our backsides kicked a bit to often these days... Still never mind there is always the thought that we are the best in Yorkshire.. The pride of England.....

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Dont blame it on Big Dave!

John, the current Leeds are the best to come out of yorkshire since the days of the seventees particulary that mighty Fa Cup win of 1972. The team with Paul Clarke, Billy Bremner, Jack Charlton, Alan Smith and our own Johnny Giles.

I too have been an avid fan of leeds since the late eighties.

So far I have been to Leeds-v-Chelsea at elland road where Jimmy "judas" Hasslebaink missed a penalty that would have won the game. Final score 0-0

And Then October 2000, that wonderful 4-3 victory over Liverpool.
    The look on Gerard Houlliers face as he sat in the team bus after the game was priceless

Last thursday nights result was heartbreak but think about it Leeds were litteraly 3rd best in Europe last season.

The only way I feel if Leeds can make Europe this season is to send Harte out hill running and Get therapy for alan smith. Whats happening with Michael Bridges?

The second best thing to come out of yorkshire is Yorkshire Relish, it is just the best

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Boy, I hate to think that there are sport events that I can't watch (especially in this dreadful time of year when NFL and NCAA Football are over, ML Baseball is yet to start, and the hockey season is far from playoff time)!

Unfortunately, ESPN hasn't seen fit to start showing European soccer yet! A couple of questions, if you don't mind... Are a team's fans called "supporters" in the UK? Also, I've been informed that its particularly distasteful to be a Manchester United fan if you aren't actually from Manchester- something about the M.U. team always being the best by far... we call such fans "bandwagoners" here in the States.
    ;)

How do playoffs work in UK soccer (er, football)? Is it like the NHL (hockey) where almost everyone gets in, or like MLB (baseball) where there are very few teams who play a series of games to determine who moves on? Also, what time of year are football playoffs in the UK? Is there a big final game at the end that is something akin to our SuperBowl (and is it usually anti-climatic after weeks of hype, like ours)?

Thanks for the info,
    Pete "A Colts Supporter" Hanlin
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Football Vs Football ... all lies

I was watching a cable sports channel last night and I was surprised to find out that football = soccer is actually a lie. The show was about Aussie football and the ball they were using was ... actully a football not a soccer ball. They were also running with the ball in their hands. I'll admit they weren't wearing any padding at all, unlike US football players, and it had the looks of a rugby match.

Someone has some explaining to do here. Any of our Australian members want to tackle this one? (Pardon the pun.)

:D

Occupation

Unhappy Oh boy....

Pete Hanlin said:

Unfortunately, ESPN hasn't seen fit to start showing European soccer yet!
    You dont know what you are missing there...

Are a team's fans called "supporters" in the UK? Also, I've been informed that its particularly distasteful to be a Manchester United fan if you aren't actually from Manchester- something about the M.U. team always being the best by far...
    Yep, supporters will do... Ah the old "scum" It would be fair to say they are the most hated team in the UK.. most would argue about them being the best..

How do playoffs work in UK soccer (er, football)? Is it like the NHL (hockey) where almost everyone gets in, or like MLB (baseball) where there are very few teams who play a series of games to determine who moves on? Also, what time of year are football playoffs in the UK? Is there a big final game at the end that is something akin to our SuperBowl (and is it usually anti-climatic after weeks of hype, like ours)?
    There isnt a playoff in premier league (we have 4 leagues) but in the lower 3 leagues the top 2 teams get promted and the next 4 teams have a play off to see who will join them. This is in the format of 2 teams play each other and the winners play in the final for the place. But to make room for them 3 teams get relegated from the league to make room for them...
    We also have a couple of cup comps where you get drawn out of a hat and play the other team, the last 2 play each other in the final, prize a cup and a place europe...

Occupation
    Ian, my best moment was when we beat barcolana 1-0 to reach the final of the european cup. what a match, never have i felt so drained after watching a match..eccept the final in which we were robbed by a blind ref.....:angry: Yes the present team are good but dont forget the team that got us out of the first division, with the likes of vinny jones et al.. Had some happy days home and away in the first div, got to see many a roit.:hammer: :finger: and dumps of grounds.....:cheers:

Jo, aussie rules football, is some game we get it sometimes here.
    Come on can some aussie explain it to us

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In my opinion the correct titles are,

Soccer=England
    Aussie Rules=Australlia
    Gaelic Football=Ireland
    American Football=Usa

The Aussies play a game with an oval shaped ball.

Each year There is a compremise Rules competition between the best Aussie Rules players and the Best Gaelic football players. Played in Dublin and in Australia each alternating year.

The rules are intertwined and the game is played with a circular ball

Thread Information