Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's willing to give up Shamir after Essilor purchases them?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am willing to give up anything that Essilor owns. They are fully intergrated in this industry, equipment, lenses, labs, frames and stores in other parts of the world. An independent has to question his business sense when the same company buys Frames Direct to directly compete against you at prices that most independents cannot match. Why would you buy from them unless you have a desire to not have any value in the industry?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post
    Boy, I sure hope your wrong about Younger!

Dave
    I hope so too, Dave. We need you, and the few others like you, around for a long time.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I think that the big E is large enough now and with those customers so commited that they would have very little trouble launching a massive retail operation. Might even aquire an existing one. Those "loyal" customers would maintain their denial and continue doing biz with them. They'd lose a few customers but gain so much it would not matter. They are already wetting their toes. No neeb to start paying attention now though. To start beding concerned now would equate to worrying that a giant meteor was going to hit the earth. No cause or point for concern. Zeiss will wither away with the public Verilux adds. Done deal folks. Not what you want to hear. Sorry.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    I've heard that Epic labs is the latest independent to be consumed by E.
    Sounds like a good time for a small INDEPENDENT lab to start producing the same type of work that they do. It would only take a decently equiped lab with enough blanks and operating capital to do it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper they have reached an agreement to form a global strategic alliance

Quote Originally Posted by OIC View Post

I believe Nikon is an Essilor company.

As far I know it is only a friendly relationship..........but you never know.

Nikon Corporation (Michio Kariya, President) in Japan and Essilor International S.A. (Xavier Fontanet, Chairman and CEO) in France said that they have reached an agreement to form a global strategic alliance in research by forming a 50/50 joint venture in Japan to be called Nikon and Essilor International Joint Research Center Co. Ltd., start its operation as from mid-March, 2009.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Zeiss is one example, which has already opened 130 shops...........................

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

I'm kinda pulling for Zeiss, now. Let's hope they don't step in some doo doo.
    With the adoption of GATT ( General Agreement on Trade & Tariffs ) and permission to FDI ( Foreign Direct Investment ), in the retail sector by the Government of India, the scenario in this segment has started witnessing the changes. National and Multinational Companies from the organized sector, having realized the weaknesses of this otherwise potential sector, have come up with the proposal to establish a chain of retail stores across the length and breadth of country. Zeiss is one example, which has already opened 130 shops, and has a plan to open another 200. Tatas have already opened 7 retail show room under the name & style of “Titan Eye”. Reliance Optical wing is already functional with 5 shops and will soon be visible with the chain of Optical Retail shops. All these shops are equipped with an Optometrist and trained Technicians, besides offering a large variety of Frames and Lenses.

The threat to small conventional Opticians is, therefore, imminent, unless they take strong measures to face the challenge. The first and foremost requirement in this sequence is the knowledge base. Here again there may be problem. A person, who has been successfully running the show for 10, 20 or more years, finds it hard to accept the reality. But he must also realize that time and tide wait for none. The survival of the fittest would ultimate be the key to success.

source:
    http://editorial.theopticalnews.com/

They have gone full blast into retail in India, the goal is 500 stores. So they are not that much more loyal to their longtime retail customers.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-19-2010 at 03:18 PM.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Boy, I sure hope your wrong about Younger!......................

Quote Originally Posted by CEO View Post

Boy, I sure hope your wrong about Younger!

Dave
    As it says in above thread : A person, who has been successfully running the show for 10, 20 or more years, finds it hard to accept the reality. But he must also realize that time and tide wait for none. The survival of the fittest would ultimate be the key to success.

Possible solution: Start today to support our local independent companies in Lenses........Frames........Accessories...........Consumable s.

And lets not forget YOUNGER, also an independent, that is the main sponsor of OptiBoard that lets you tell the world what it is all about.

Occupation
    PALs and FF is where the money is, Younger has chosen not to compete in that market and instead make it's own niche in sunwear and trilogy offerings; Serving a niche requires less marketing and discounting unfortunatly it does not take serious marketshare from the 800lb gorilla who's selling everything else to opticals who in the future would find it easier to sell a second pair designed by the same manufacturer instead of switching brands.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Man of contrary opinion

To SPEED:
    Cannot agree. History shows that success comes to the man of contrary opinion. What you speak is what it is. I cannot see this as a fait a compli. I have designed my business model away from dealings with large companies who have no discernable character. So far it has proven very successful

Occupation
    Today: http://eyeoverheard.wordpress.com/20...cal/#more-9389

Here's a rough translation of the French part of the article:
    The French giant of Essilor optics would have started negotiations with the Shamir kibbutz to repurchase to him his shares in the company Shamir Optical Industry Ltd. The quoted value of the Israeli manufacturer of optical glasses is estimated at 190 million dollars. The Calcalist daily newspaper, which reveals the negotiations between the two companies, believes it that it is likely great there to see the transaction succeeding. Today, the Shamir kibbutz has 58% of the actions of the company Shamir Optical Industry Ltd, the remainder being distributed between the funds American Royce & Associates (9,9%) and of the small carriers. It is not impossible only Essilor launches an purchase offer to take the control of the Israeli company, even if the Shamir kibbutz keeps a minority of the capital. The bringing together between Essilor and Shamir is supported by the fact that the two manufacturers carry on complementary activities. Shamir Optical Industry Ltd. is one of the world leaders in the design and the manufacture of ophthalmic glasses and moulds of high-quality for unifocaux and progressive glasses. In nearly forty years, Shamir acquired an international reputation, always with the point of last technologies. Shamir invests important resources research and development, and several of its developments constituted besides of the technological breakthroughs which placed it at the head in the field of progressive optics. Shamir is the only company of optics to being with dimensions in Nasdaq, the largest market electronic of actions of the world. It made its entry on the US market in 2005 when it raised funds of an amount of 56 million dollars.

Love or hate Essilor, the New York Post cover is funny.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I hope so too, Dave. We need you, and the few others like you, around for a long time.

Me too ! 75% of my inventory is Younger.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation

Good Assement

Good Assement...

Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Ok.....

As for the Independent lens vendors....well, here's my personal predictions (based on what I currently see and here from people in the industry):

Younger - Probably won't last more than another 5~10 years. They don't make anything that anyone else doesn't make, nor do they have a Free Form offering yet. They're working on it, but I think they will be too late to the party. The Image, while good, is out dated and won't last too much longer. The only other thing they have is NuPolar, and Essilor is putting their entire marking weight behind their Xperio product.... And we all know what their marketing department did with Varilux. Younger might survive, but I don't think that they will still have enough market share to remain a viable company..... I hope I'm wrong, because I like their lenses, and their Customer Service is outstanding.

Vision Ease - There are still presistant rumors that Transitions is going to aquire Vision Ease (I keep hearing this from people at Essilor.....). If so, along with Essilor's aquisition of Signet Armorlite, this elminates two more non-Transitions photochromic brands (Instashades and LifeRx), leaving only Polycore and Augen as Sunsensors vendors, neither of which is really large enough to do much.

Hoya - Should be ok for the long term, given the strong success of their various ID lenses. However, I've heard rumblings from within Hoya that their revenue is not what they need it to be.

AO/Sola/Zeiss - I think their decision to pull the CZV lenses out of non-Zeiss/non-Independant labs may hurt them in the short term, but the quality of their Free Form product will pull them through. While they are doing ok, I wonder about their long term survivability.

Seiko/Pentax - Seiko's global presence, and their success with their Free Form lenses should insure their survivability. They remain a smaller, niche company. On one hand their specialization has made them the best in their niche, and less of a threat to the "big" vendors. On the other hand, aquisition of such a specialized company would greatly improve a companies presence with that niche products.

X-Cel - Other than the fact that they make a lot of lenses that no one else does, and their customer service is awesome, I don't know how they stay in business. Due to all of their products being made in the USA, their prices tend to run VERY high.

Essilor - Well, they're just big, you know..... However, aquiring Shamir makes extremely good sense for them. They would aquire one of the best lens R&D companies in the world, something that they sorely lack. Also, their Free Form offering, the Ideal, is not fairing very well against the other Free Form lenses. With Free Form progressives being the future of progressive designs, their "enhanced" lenses are only going to last so long.

Please remember, all of these are only my own opinions, and are based on a US view, not necessarily a global one.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I would consider the purchase of Shamir unlikely. They posted amazing profits last quarter, their strategy of becoming a "software only" company is paying off hugely, and since they are located on Kibbutz (like a commune) in Isreal, selling to Essilor means more than a job change, it will change their entire way of life.

Shamir's strategy is to own as little as possible, Essilor's is to own as much as possible. Shamir has worked very hard the last 5 years on their strategy of becoming a "click fee, research company", and its a good one, but their strategy is the opposite of Essilor's so a merger would be a big problem for both of them. However, marketing agreement, developement agreements, and other co-mingling is necessary as Shamir does not have its own A/R and its dependant on their Crizal certification to drive sales.

I am.
    Long live Zeiss (and Hoya).
    If independents don't act, there will be no choice in the matter, pretty soon.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Huh? I thought Lux was the bad guy? Why's everyone hatin Essilor these days? I know they teamed up with Lux but as long as Lux doesn't buy them, I don't take issue.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Don't panic.......

there is also Rodenstock, established in 1877, so much for continuity.

Georg Mayer

Rodenstock - Thailand

Occupation
    I'm in the middle of negotiating with shamir to sell me semi-finished product, so far they're willing to sell genesis and piccolo ( I was buying those 9 years ago from an authorized distributor) but I'm holding out for creation; we'll see what comes of it.

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    I am.

Long live Zeiss (and Hoya).

If independents don't act, there will be no choice in the matter, pretty soon.
    Late as usual, but I'm here none the less.

So Zeiss...that company that's opened something like 200 retail shops (and another 200 planned) to compete directly with you. That's who you want to support? The same Zeiss that purchsed Sola and American Optical?

Now Hoya compared to Zeiss has a cleaner slate - not by much, but cleaner. Hoya has purchased a good number of independent labs around the world, and has shops throughout Asia to - you guess it - compete directly with independents (like yourself).

You better start acting Doc...like finding a lab that supplies Younger, KBco, XCel, and VisionEase.

Occupation
    Audiyoda - I thought KBCo was Essilor owned.

Occupation
    I thought Essilor's polarized purchase was SLC/iRx.

**EDIT

Actually you're right - happened in 2007. Funny that there's a direct link to Essilor on the SLC website and the iRx website. There's no such link on the KBCo site.

So I guess that leaves Younger and VisionEase as the only polarized options if you want to stay away from Essilor.
    Last edited by Audiyoda; 07-05-2010 at 11:36 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Yes Essilor owns KbCo.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiyoda View Post

So I guess that leaves Younger and VisionEase as the only polarized options if you want to stay away from Essilor.
    We have had excellent success with both these products. Coppertone is VE's newest, and I love their gray version of this lens. Very strong feedback from patients.

:cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OIC View Post
    I believe Nikon is an Essilor company.
    Essilor leases the name in the US. In the US, you are simply getting essilor lenses branded with Nikon (hence getting Nikon at wallyworld) but other places in the world, you get Nikon lenses which are, apparently, pretty damned good.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We dispense a lot of Seiko Supercede. I have personally tried several others (Shamir, Nikon, Zeiss and essilor). But I keep going back to my Seiko's. We have been dispensing about 20 a month for a couple of years now. I don't believe we have had one non-adapt. And it is the best pair I have ever worn.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by bigeyejim View Post
    We have had excellent success with both these products. Coppertone is VE's newest, and I love their gray version of this lens. Very strong feedback from patients.

:cheers:
    I've run enough VE where I'm lab manager that I'll never purposely offer them again. I've rejected - just to estimate - about 15% of my stock to front surface pits/carbon deposits/scratches (not just polarized but the entire stock I carry). I've never had that kind of problem with any supplier, never. While I do like the color of their gray over Younger's more green/gray I do everything possible to not run their products.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    This is a REAL funny thread!!! Yes Essilor is the BAD boy on the block and all of the indep. in my area push VARILUX like crazy. They are cutting their own throats by selling out to all of the B.S. HYPE THAT ESSILOR IS KNOWN FOR ALL OF THEIR MARKETING BLA BLA BLA.

Thread Information