Thread: NZ stoops to new low

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NZ stoops to new low

As of Friday 11th of June, Unichem pharmacy is now stocking rx glasses. You can get SV, Bifocals, Progs, High index... all combined in cheap/ average priced package deals.

They don't have an optometrist or an Dispensing Optician, the pharmacist is doing it supposedly... Wow!! We asked the staff, they couldn't tell us where the frames or lenses were from... all I can say is Wow!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Just wait until dispensing is deregulated in NSW! I believe we will see more of this in the coming years. Is dispensing regulated in NZ or has it gone the way of us here in AUS?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As long as they don't call themselves a dispenser or an optician they can make glasses. I've been told that NZ usually follows whatever NSW is doing. Way of life now I suppose, would be lovely to regulate everything again but then I found out how many we have, we only have 180 DOs nationwide! (got figures from DONZ board). Since your over the ditch, do you know anything about Lenspro? I really see fitting labs and while you wait as the way forward

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Are you thinking of converting to a lenspro practice?
    I would think that with SS and OPSM coming onto your shores, you would be able to negotiate hard with the current labs there, to give you some decent margin and speedier service?!
    LensPro is a concept similar to what the other big group stores offer. To me, if you were to convert, it would be to the lesser of the evils....and that only you can decide. Compare them all side by side to see what you will get. There is good and bad in all of them!

Have you tried the site www.optomforum.com.au ? You may get more info there.
    Last edited by IC-UC; 06-15-2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: aditional info
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post

Since your over the ditch, do you know anything about Lenspro? I really see fitting labs and while you wait as the way forward
    With ten LensPro stores in Greater Brisbane, Tweed Heads and Melbourne, you don't have to.
    LensPro fits the exact same lenses as other optical stores for about half the price.
    With an optical lab in each store, lenses can often be fitted while you shop.
    LensPro also has a wide range of quality optical frames at affordable prices.
    Eye examinations are available at all LensPro stores.
    Each LensPro store is independently owned and operated by opticians who are passionate about eye care and crafting precision glasses for your optimal vision and comfort.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    While I'd love to start my own (and ohh do I have some ideas), theres no way I have the money to do it, maybe in 3-4 years. I spied Lenspro... but I would just turn into another SS, I don't know if I could throw another log on the Industry killing bonfire.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I was thinking of moving to NZ. This may change things.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey... rated 4th best city in the world from BBC I think (Auckland, NZ). If you have any questions just let me know. Yes while you can employ any person and let them loose on a patient, NZ really needs a high skill level and some idependents and chains are willing to pay through the nose for it. In regards to new practises, saturated in some areas, but room for more in others

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
    While I'd love to start my own (and ohh do I have some ideas), theres no way I have the money to do it, maybe in 3-4 years. I spied Lenspro... but I would just turn into another SS, I don't know if I could throw another log on the Industry killing bonfire.
    I hear you about starting your own....i have some ideas rattling around in my nut!:shiner: But thats for another discussion.
    I think going forward that indepenants will start having more benefits really soon. With the SS and Lux rollouts continuing, they will need to run off volume to suceed, but the ind. can do the whole care factor thing and offer a complete experinece (if they get it right!). This will make customers think twice about the chain stores, but if not, then the prices will become more competitive with Essilor/Hoya/Zeiss having a smaller pool to fish in. Well this is in my humble opinion of course.
    But who cares right now, 'ey Bro. Go the ALL Whites!!!! See that it is an "australasian" team that is doing well....hehehehehehehe:bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HAHAHA! yeah stealing everything from us!!! Leave the Pavlova alone!

Thread Information