Thread: Random Sunglass Questions

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Random Sunglass Questions

Why don't they brand the AR on the backside of brand name Sunglasses?

ie: Maui Jim whatevers with a backside Crizal AR

Why can't you buy sunglasses with AR on both sides of the lens? I obviously mean premium plano brands since I can order 2 sided AR coats on sunlenses that I get from my lab.

Just some thoughts.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    They do not brand them, because they probably do not want to tie the lenses to one company. This way, they can shift it around from company to company, based on price, or do it in house.

They do not do AR on both sides, because there is not really a reason to. There is no advantage to a sunglass lens having AR on the front. Many would argue that you want glare on the front to repel the sun.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-Life: Right on! I agree with your observation. No AR on front is also IR block.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I like AR on the front though. Looks sharp.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Doesn't it seem silly though, to tint a lens in order to obstruct the passage of light, only to apply a treatment aimed at increasing the transmission of light?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Pogu View Post
    Doesn't it seem silly though, to tint a lens in order to obstruct the passage of light, only to apply a treatment aimed at increasing the transmission of light?
    Works well with transitions. Overall I believe your vision would probably be a little clearer by eliminating the amount of light bouncing off your lenses. You can still achieve an overall light transmission as requested.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I like AR on the front though. Looks sharp.
    meh. It makes the lens more transparent. I don't like people know where my shifty eyes are looking :)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    meh. It makes the lens more transparent. I don't like people know where my shifty eyes are looking :)
    I make certain that my client isn't keen on voyeurism prior to making the sale. It's all about the questions... :)

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I make certain that my client isn't keen on voyeurism prior to making the sale. It's all about the questions... :)
    Snort. Aren't you the public servant? ;)

Putting AR on the front of the lens defeats the purpose, by allowing more light to pass through. On sunglasses, you want the opposite on the front: a mirror! Or a flash mirror if you don't want to be obvious. AR on the back, though, to cut down on that flash of light when the sun is behind you. I hate that!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The closer to the equator you go the preference is for more reflectance. I always query the voyeurism angle first tho. edKendance is in the Great White North though, where IR allows some heat transmission through the lens. Got to keep those lenses warm and the eyes get nice and toasty feeling, on a minus 30 degree day, while you are out ice fishing.

Does anybody have a source for a miniature, built in frame warmer that can keep glasses from freezing to your face?????? for him.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Most suns from the big sun manufacturers have a mirror coat on the front surface, which, is an anti anti reflective coating. In suns, the last thing you need is more photons, remember the pupil will slightly dialate behind suns thus compensating for the perceived light loss and preserving resolution.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am marginally altering my position on this subject. I totally agree with a mirror coating combined with a polarizing filter and a backside AR are is an unbeatable combination when it comes to creating a sun lens that will eliminate the most glare. I now see that my initial question concerning voyeurism was not quite as in depth or as broad as it should have been. That glint of sunlight reflecting off of For-Lifes mirrored sunglasses is just the kind of thing that will get him arrested when he's peering from behind the bushes.

Occupation
    You do not need to peer behind the bushes if no one can see behind your sunglasses.

Just saying

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    R o f l m a o

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I do agree that a mirror coating on the plus, AR on the minus and a polarized lens is the best. It's what Ken should have when ice fishing or riding on his dog sled to work.

AR on both sides may be ridiculous to most, but it may help sell a few more pairs of sunglasses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many of my clients have found superior comfort with AR on BOTH sides of their Polarized sunglasses...including wraps.

I believe it. Go Figure.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I do agree that a mirror coating on the plus, AR on the minus and a polarized lens is the best. It's what Ken should have when ice fishing or riding on his dog sled to work.

AR on both sides may be ridiculous to most, but it may help sell a few more pairs of sunglasses.
    Not only dat but da mirror, she come in handy to signal de rescue plane, if you tip the canoe over while shooting the rapids, eehhh!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did a pair the other day, they was polarized.....only the polarization was put in a 90 instead of 180. Yep....a special request by a client. His hobby is girlwatching and he wanted the sunglasses to cut out the.............................CLEAVAGE GLARE.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Works for butt cracks too! yecchh!

Front surface AR looked cool on Will Smith in Men in Black 11 ...
    Last edited by cleyes; 06-12-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I am marginally altering my position on this subject. I totally agree with a mirror coating combined with a polarizing filter and a backside AR are is an unbeatable combination when it comes to creating a sun lens that will eliminate the most glare.
    thats why MAUI JIM rocks !

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Many of my clients have found superior comfort with AR on BOTH sides of their Polarized sunglasses...including wraps.

I believe it. Go Figure.

B
    This could be due to the elimination of ghost images off the front surface from light that is incident from the front that reflects off the cornea and skin, off the front surface of the lens, and enters the eye, and from light incident from the back that reflects off the front surface towards the eye, although the intensity of these ghost images would probably be at a very low level with a lens that has a dark tint. Regardless, now that the coatings are more robust and easy to clean I can't think of any reason not to coat both surfaces (it costs the same, right?). On the plus side, there's the potential for more comfortable vision, and IMO a better looking pair of sunglasses.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Excellent post as usual, Robert.
    I also think the "allowing more light to enter the lens" argument is really moot. Say the overall AR coating (front and back) increases light transmission by 6-8%. Leaving it off only one side would be half that. And polarized lenses are so efficient that a measley 3% can be compensated for by the eye anyway, so you end up with a better looking lens and is easier to clean. And your pupil only has to not enlarge by only the most miniscule amount as to make no difference.
    Polarized with mirror is the only way to go!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    (it costs the same, right?).
    uhhh, no.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Toki eyewear had AR on the front and back of their sunglasses and when I asked why, the rep said it is rude in Japan to wear sunglasses a person can't see your eyes through. I haven't looked into the validity of this statement, but I doubt they would want to put more $$ into a product if there were no benefit in their eyes.
    Though, as I'm typing this I'm questioning myself...seeing the wearer's eyes means light is moving effectively from the back (where their eyes are) to the front (where your - the observer's- eyes are) right?

Anyway, I have AR on both sides of my Drivewear because I've seen enough folks on this forum suggest that AR on the front of Polarized lenses causes no harm and may even improve vision. I can't say it's improving the performance of the lens in any way, but I don't think it is unattractive.
    Optician friend of mine used to put zeiss gold on brown polar for a pretty effect.

I'm a fan of Maui Jim, but other than that I've had trouble with mirror coatings staying on the lenses after a year or so. I haven't tried any of the crizal sun mirrors, maybe those are better.

I definitely like hydrophobic sun lenses (beach/pool)

Thread Information