Thread: Today, I am an Optician!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Today, I am an Optician!

There are alot of discussions on this site about certifications and licencing. Here is my point of view, for what it's worth, and my story.

I started in this field 15 years ago as a "Shop guy". In the coarse of 10 years at that office, I transformed into more of an all rounder. Most would say I was an optician. I was complacent, and making good money. It became a very busy, retail type of a place where money and sales were of the utmost importance. I learned alot while working there and am thankful for it. I took lots of CE's, attended VEE every year. Even got my apprentice certificate, but never more than that. I was being paid as an "optician", so I had no monitary motivation to gain my licence.

They I moved and came to work at what I feel is a true optical. Private O.D., no insurance, and our primary function is patient care and education. This is when I started to yearn for more. I had a brilliant OD eager to teach me all I could take in. I got my papers and became an apprentice optician. Got my ABO. I studied, and practiced, and have help many patients along the way. But for me, today, marks the first day when anyone can ask me, "What do you do for a living?", or "Are you an Obstatition?", I can hold my head high in the air and say, I am an OPTICIAN!!! A State Licenced Optician!!!

On my thoughts of why more people dont want to strive for certification and licencing, my thoughts are it is easy not to. For ten years I was being paid like I was. And while sitting for the practical I realized that alot of people, not just in this field, tend to do only what they need to to get by. And for me, one of my biggest pushes to get my licence was becoming a father. And to not have to say, "well, I'm like an optician, sort of.

So what's next? Next up is Advanced Certification, and some day ABOM. I would also like to get the local "Opticians" in my area together and try and make opticianry better for everyone in the area. Maybe mentor as well. I would also like to become a speaker. Not because I like to speak in front of large crowds, but why not share my ideas, and add to the profession. Until this point, I have had all of theses ideas, but didnt feel I had the right to try and bolster the profession without that licence. Now I feel like I have that voice.

So there it is, in a nut shell. To everyone on this site who gives to this field everyday, Thank you. I strive to reach the level some of you are at someday.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh, and as a side note. For the Optical Geek I seem to be turning into, I think I am going to buy myself some Hot Fingers today, and book a flight to Vegas for VEW!!!
    Last edited by Eyefish; 06-14-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    CONGRATS and best wishes!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you Bill.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Thank you for a very refreshing post, and congatulations to your professional advancement.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, that was refreshing to read! Thank you for sharing.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats!!!! It's great that you take such pride in your field.
    I came, I saw, I left

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is literally the most inspiring and thought provoking post I have read. Thank you for pushing this twenty-year-old optician to go further. Cheers!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyefish View Post
    Oh, and as a side note. For the Optical Geek I seem to be turning into, I think I am going to but myself some Hot Fingers today, and book a flight to Vegas for VEW!!!
    "But myself some Hotfingers" ??
    Try those things on another body part first, and only use short bursts! And, BTW, nice post, Chris.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations Eyefish!

Please consider coming to Atlanta July 23-25 for a meeting at the Southeastern Opticians Conference of forward looking opticians that desire the betterment of the field. The meeting will be led by Drs. William McDonald and Roy Ferguson.

http://www.southeasternopticians.org/

The intent of the meeting can be found in this thread, although there is considerable clutter as well.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...y-Requirements

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks everyone for the kind words. Especially you Chris. I appreciate passing your experience with hot fingers on to me!!!

Gary- I have two issues with that confrence. First is expences. I have been to SECO this spring, the practical, and hope to go to OH for the ABO-AC. I also have a 24 hour bicycle charity event the following weekend. It is on my list for next year though. I look forward to really being educated at a confrence.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Congrats, from a fellow SC LDO. Btw, you don't need to go to OH to take the AC, its being offered in Columbia this Nov. Let me know if you need any pointers in your quest. I've been there.
    Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Congratulations Eyefish!

Please consider coming to Atlanta July 23-25 for a meeting at the Southeastern Opticians Conference of forward looking opticians that desire the betterment of the field. The meeting will be led by Drs. William McDonald and Roy Ferguson.

http://www.southeasternopticians.org/

The intent of the meeting can be found in this thread, although there is considerable clutter as well.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...y-Requirements
    I don't know William, but I will be there as well. If expenses are a problem, get with the group. We can find a place for you, and it is a relatively short drive. We would love to have you. Congratulations on your achievement!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    I don't know William, but I will be there as well. If expenses are a problem, get with the group. We can find a place for you, and it is a relatively short drive. We would love to have you. Congratulations on your achievement!
    Sorry for the misidentification Dr. Warren McDonald. I really knew that, just had a brain fart.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Congratulations!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats Eyefish. I did the same thing. I have been in the business since 1992. I still work for the same person. I just wanted to do this for myself.. It feels great to say that your an Optician.... For real... :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks again everyone. And congrats to you also bpmowatson!!!
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A quick little side note to my orig post. OD's please take note. I am very greatful of my boss, an OD, that had encouraged my growth. He gave mini seminars every month during our monthly meetings. He showed a true interest in my advancement and growth of our profession. For all of you OD's, take interest in your opticians. It is in your best interest, and your patients as well.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats!! I am so proud of you!!
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information