Got Asked for a PD Today (First Time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jacqui View Post
    I charge $35 for PD, $50 to help select the right frame, $50 to verify Rx, and $65 to fit . This is all posted on a very large sign in clear view. It makes it easier and cheaper for people to pay a real optician for glasses.
    I think this sounds like a great idea, have you always done it this way?
    if not, did you encounter alot of resistance from your patients when you switched?
    do you charge a new customer who purchases glasses from you all those fees since you are doing all those things?
    do you still charge regular retail for frames and lenses? the reason I ask is there was a local optician a few years ago who did something similar to this but he was advertising that he was only charging "wholesale cost"for the frames and lenses and then charging a "dispensing fee" he had a menu board with the price of repairs, adjustments, and different dispensing fees etc... kind of like mcdonalds. He did not stay in business long so I assumed that business model just did not work, but maybe there was another reason he did not last, bad service, bad location whatever... maybe his dispensing fees weren't enough to cover his cost of doing business.
    I would love to know more about how this works for you I am very intriqued by the idea.
    what type of practice do you have- is it in a OMD's office, retail optician only, optician with an OD, are you in a retail setting or more of a medical setting?

Comment

Originally posted by Golfnorth View Post
      Chris;

Why would you even entertain and change your business model to accomodate these people? Notice I didn't say customers. These are NOT your customers. They are searching for the lowest price period. Not wanting to pay $30 for a PD? Please! Ok so how about this? If every ECP refused to provide a PD, even for a fee then I wonder how the unregulated online opticals would be doing? I like this ECP's approach.

Regards,
      Golfnorth
      Plus, you said this is your first. The optical model has been around for a few years. Online sunglasses have been around for 10. Not really the mass exodus that people were proclaiming would happen

Comment

Originally posted by Heather A View Post
        I've given out a couple, after I first opened. But after taking one of our state's required CE courses, and finding out that if I take the measurements, then I am responsible for any problems...I had a change of heart. I am more than willing to take responsibility for what happens with the patients that purchase from me, however, I do not want to be in the middle of an "on-line dispenser vs. independent optician" situation. The other thought is, if you are required to maintain liability insurance, what are the insurance company's thoughts? Knowing that there is some extra responsibility for giving out PD's for online purchases, would they still allow you coverage, and if so, at what premium?
        Now this is an interesting point...we should be checking with our regulatory agencies to determine liability. No regulatory agency in your state, then check with your attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by CuriousCat View Post
          Now this is an interesting point...we should be checking with our regulatory agencies to determine liability. No regulatory agency in your state, then check with your attorney.
          Assuming that you could get a response at all , why would you believe the regulatory body let alone a lawyer ? Laws are subject to interpretation . Would they be telling you the law according to regulations or according to bylaws or according to policies ? If you were not extremely particular in your wording you may get various answers. You would also require the question and the answer to be in writing and even then both would be subject to interpretation.

Comment

Make them go into Internet heaven...................

Originally posted by Golfnorth View Post

Chris;
            Why should we want to solve this?

Regards,
            Golfnorth
            Golfnorth,

When today's largest optical corporation purchased a majority steak of Frames Direct, which is the second largest on line retailer after Zenni's, they knew what they were doing. They did not take a risk, because they knew that they could get away with it.

We can even see it right here on OptiBoard, members shy away from any serious discussion what could happen to the profession and its suppliers within the next few years.

When a high quality manufacturer goes into direct competition with the professional retailer = their customers, on the lowest level of the professional scale, they must be out to kill for their own good.

Remembering times in the optical Europe when opticians had cartels and just about could force their suppliers to behave the way they wanted or else. These days are over and gone.

Why would you even entertain and change your business model to accomodate these people? Notice I didn't say customers. These are NOT your customers. They are searching for the lowest price period.
            Yes they are not your customers, but maybe could have been, for sure they were somebodies customers. Maybe they have lost their jobs or lost half a fortune on the stock market, and now their pension is cut in half.
            So they are searching for low prices out of necessity.

The recession is not over yet and a monetary collapse is coming closer with Europe in all these financial problems. Things will never go back to what we call normal, the way it was. The US has 30 million un-employed people and in Canada it also hovers around 10%.

So why not find a way that will let the professional make some money for his services instead of giving them away, or find a way of making the danger of the on-line opticals go away into the internet heaven.

regards
            Chris R

Comment

@golfnorth:

What was the lady's response to your stand?
              Eyes wide open

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ryser View Post
                Golfnorth,

When today's largest optical corporation purchased a majority steak of Frames Direct, which is the second largest on line retailer after Zenni's, they knew what they were doing. They did not take a risk, because they knew that they could get away with it.

Correction they think they can get away with it. Your assumption is that the fight is over, but I stopped using their products and I see many here have as well.

We can even see it right here on OptiBoard, members shy away from any serious discussion what could happen to the profession and its suppliers within the next few years.

I am not allowed to discuss that ;)

When a high quality manufacturer goes into direct competition with the professional retailer = their customers, on the lowest level of the professional scale, they must be out to kill for their own good.

Actually I see it another way, they have spent millions for years trying ot make professionals believe they are high quality but it is getting more and more expensive and the competition has better more advanced products so they are finally showing their cards. The company you speak of has for years had bottom of the rung product, now they are finally selling it to the bottom of the rung.

Remembering times in the optical Europe when opticians had cartels and just about could force their suppliers to behave the way they wanted or else. These days are over and gone.

No they are not, look at VSP, Vision Source, etc. Banding together has always and will always have an effect on big business. The problem is that any group that forms is always going to be suceptable to greed and greed is fueled by money and money my firends is what the big businesses use as their precision cutting instruments.

Yes they are not your customers, but maybe could have been, for sure they were somebodies customers. Maybe they have lost their jobs or lost half a fortune on the stock market, and now their pension is cut in half.
                So they are searching for low prices out of necessity.

I don't give them PD's but I assume that anyone coming in the office asking for a PD is buying online. I confront them with that and recommend they visit an outfit in my area called America's Best, they can get glasses cheap and still get what resembles service. Many of these cheap skates have been there before and had a bad experience and don't mind telling me so. One simple question, how much would they be willing to pay for a better experience? I ask them for a budget that they think would be a fair compensation for eyewear. If it is reasonable many times I can make the sale.

The recession is not over yet and a monetary collapse is coming closer with Europe in all these financial problems. Things will never go back to what we call normal, the way it was. The US has 30 million un-employed people and in Canada it also hovers around 10%.

So why not find a way that will let the professional make some money for his services instead of giving them away, or find a way of making the danger of the on-line opticals go away into the internet heaven.

It's time to start really selling and stop sitting on our butts and waiting for every opportunity to come to us. Just a patient coming into the office asking for a PD gives enough information to a salesman to have a shot at the sale.

regards
                Chris R
                Chris,

If you give a PD to a patient you might as well start your own online optical shop. If your going to advocate it in the patients eye's and you see it as a true inevitability then why settle for a dispensing fee when you can have the whole nut.

Comment

I went to my manager and asked how they want us to handle PD requests. We are part of a very large Ophthalmology practice and the word came down from our owner - we are "forbidden" from providing them. Boy, did that make my life easy!
                  -Tony

Comment

Originally posted by uncut View Post
                    @golfnorth:

What was the lady's response to your stand?
                    Hi Uncut;

The young lady sheepishly turned around and walked out of my store without saying a thing and without a wimper. I can only speculate that she had heard no a few times before walking into my store.

Regards,
                    Golfnorth

Comment

Dear moderator,
                      I have replied to this thread @goldnorth...Where is my reply?? I can not find it...??

Comment

@ golfnorth: I have and still am thinking about the different scenarios that we have come across. We have started to offer people assistance provided that we fill out an internet purchase Hazard assessment form, which details everything about the purchase, and taking their occupation, lifestyle into consideration, analyzes their purchase consequences. I tie this to them getting information to purchase, and for those who have purchased and request assistance.....they usually decline to participate, so no information out and no aftercare is pursued. WINwin?
                        Eyes wide open

Comment

I really can't see this as a problem. If you provide a service, charge a fee. I see the internet like previous changes in the eyeglass business. When free frames first hit the market, we all scratched our heads as to how could they do that. They sucked business from us. We're still in business. If they want a PD, measure it, charge a fee, and then try talking to the person as to why they are shopping online. Everyone on this site shops for what they perceive to be value. Glasses are no different. If you are nice, the person may decide that their perceived deal wasn't much of one, and come back to next year.
                          Last edited by optical maven; 06-11-2010, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Reply to Jaqui's post on 6/10/10 You go girl! Completely agree with you. Suggest those royally screwed BC opticians do same.
                            Last edited by cleyes; 06-13-2010, 08:32 PM. Reason: Got so excited, forgot to say whose post I was replying
                            WE SEE THINGS NOT AS THEY ARE, BUT AS WE ARE..... Anais Nin

Comment

Originally posted by optical maven View Post
                              If you are nice, the person may decide that their perceived deal wasn't much of one, and come back to next year.
                              IF you're still in business...

Comment

Suggestion: Charge "walk-ins" a fee for the PD, but offer full credit for that fee toward the purchase of glasses from you...all done with smile. That way you establish a value for your service, you're not antagonizing a potential customer, AND you're breaking the ice for a sale.

The internet has marvelously "unbundled" the supply chain, and exposed a lot about the pricing and margins in each link. ECP's have enjoyed substantial margins in frame pricing. Those margins will certainly come under attack (already have). PD's may only be the tip of the iceberg of "unbundling."

Comment

Working...
                                X