Got Asked for a PD Today (First Time)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Asked for a PD Today (First Time)

This afternoon I had a 20 something women approach me and sheepishly ask if I could measure her "pupil distance," as her eye doctor wouldn't do it for her.

I told her that I wouldn't. Actually you couldn't pay me enough to do that for anyone.

I wonder how others deal with this relatively new phenomenon?
    I welcome you to share your experiences.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 10-23-2010, 12:56 PM.

Comment

,, .
      Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 10-23-2010, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Better get used to this poblem and solve it now...................as it is not going to go away. Every on line optical explains very clearly what a PD is, but prefers if a professional does it.

A reasonable idea would be to charge a fee that includes PD measurement, checking the finished Rx and make the frame adjustments. You decide the amount for a fair professional fee, and you might get a new steady customer when their on-line expirience turns sour.

Originally posted by copied from Zenni Optical)

[B
        SORT BY PUPILLARY DISTANCE[/B]

The PD or Pupillary Distance is the distance between the pupils of the eyes, center to center, in Millimeters (1 inch = 25.4mm).

To sort through the frames from your Frame Search above which will accomodate a particular PD, choose the PD from the drop down menu.

All frames from your search which will work with the PD chosen will be displayed.
        The websites of the 5 largest on line opticals have increased their website traffic by nearly 40% over the last 4 month. There are dozens of websites for public consumers discussions on the subject. There are now some 25,000 pairs sold between them on a daily basis.

Ignoring this subject might also create a new type of ician to come on the market. The one that keeps no inventory and just services the on line purchases of consumers.

Comment

I have been asked a few times in the last year or so. I have told them that their pupillary distance and all other necessary measurements are the responsibility of the optician who sells them their eyewear. Then they admit to "going online" so I tell them I would be happy to provide the measurements, an Rx check and adjustment for 30.00. I have had no takers.

Comment

One expirience....................

Originally posted by cocoisland58 View Post

Then they admit to "going online" so I tell them I would be happy to provide the measurements, an Rx check and adjustment for 30.00. I have had no takers.
            Here we have one negative expirience. ...............How can we solve this as the consumer does need the PD and also will need the adjustments.

Maybe charge less ahead of the purchase and more when they come for adjustments, because if the glasses hurt nose or ears they will need you.

Comment

A deaf and mute optician I know already has the correct answer. although she can only use sign language, she is an effective communicator. We can all learn her technique and diplomacy for dealing with these matters. Keep in mind that her husband is an auto mechanic and quite often customers would ask to borrow his tools . I think between them, they have the solution worked out for all of us.

Originally her technique was this :

It has now been turned into a video learning experience to teach others the proper way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2Ptb5fYiTw

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ryser View Post
                Here we have one negative expirience. ...............How can we solve this as the consumer does need the PD and also will need the adjustments.

Maybe charge less ahead of the purchase and more when they come for adjustments, because if the glasses hurt nose or ears they will need you.
                Chris;

Why would you even entertain and change your business model to accomodate these people? Notice I didn't say customers. These are NOT your customers. They are searching for the lowest price period. Not wanting to pay $30 for a PD? Please! Ok so how about this? If every ECP refused to provide a PD, even for a fee then I wonder how the unregulated online opticals would be doing? I like this ECP's approach.

Regards,
                Golfnorth

Comment

Originally posted by cocoisland58 View Post
                  I have been asked a few times in the last year or so. I have told them that their pupillary distance and all other necessary measurements are the responsibility of the optician who sells them their eyewear. Then they admit to "going online" so I tell them I would be happy to provide the measurements, an Rx check and adjustment for 30.00. I have had no takers.
                  I think you should have offerred to do a nice Turtle Wax on their car as well......that would have sealed the deal!

Regards,
                  Golfnorth

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Ryser View Post

Chris;

Why should we want to solve this?

Regards,
                    Golfnorth

Comment

I've given out a couple, after I first opened. But after taking one of our state's required CE courses, and finding out that if I take the measurements, then I am responsible for any problems...I had a change of heart. I am more than willing to take responsibility for what happens with the patients that purchase from me, however, I do not want to be in the middle of an "on-line dispenser vs. independent optician" situation. The other thought is, if you are required to maintain liability insurance, what are the insurance company's thoughts? Knowing that there is some extra responsibility for giving out PD's for online purchases, would they still allow you coverage, and if so, at what premium?

Comment

In our office, a PD is not taken unless the patient is ordering glasses, meaning it's not a regular measurement performed as part of an eye exam. If the patient wants us to provide that service (the act of taking the measurement), we do it for a charge, just like all the other tests and measurements we perform. For our fee, we will also verify the Rx once it has been filled, if the patient wants to show their sheepish face again after obviously taking their business elsewhere.
                        It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Comment

I had that a couple of times.
                          People'd come in and ask "What do you charge for an eye test?" in a way you know why they are stopping by internet-glasses

I once had a person who tried to cover his true motives so hard I was all happy and cheery and said "We don't charge anything for an eye test!"

What he didn't know is that times were so slow in store we didn't have anything better to do.
                          I did a complete eye test and managed to keep her in the exam room for over 45 minutes!.
                          When we were done she said: "Ok, thanks can I have a presription?"

And I replied: "That'll be €30,-"
                          Her getting angry: "But you said an eye test was free of charge?"
                          I replied, "The test is for free, the prescrtiption isn't unless you buy a pair of glasses." (which is actually the company's policy).
                          She then left the store ranting about how I wasted her time!

My collegues almost died laughting.

But seriously, a free PD test? That's a no-no. You can take a complete eye exam and pay €30,- or get lost.

Also, you can advise them to take the pd from their old glasses ^_^
                          "Oh, you don't have a lensmeter at home, that's a shame..." ^_~

Comment

I charge $35 for PD, $50 to help select the right frame, $50 to verify Rx, and $65 to fit . This is all posted on a very large sign in clear view. It makes it easier and cheaper for people to pay a real optician for glasses.

Comment

You charge for selecting a frame?
                              Are you afraid they try the frame at your shop and buy it somewhere else?

We don't really have that problem .Our frames are priced over the typeno. of the frame.
                              So when clients write down the number of the frame they can't order it anywhere else because they are writing down our frame number ^_^

We had people come back asking why they couldn't find the frame on the internet or other stores ^_~

Saying this I think you might have a point. But what if people are browsing? Al lot of them may be persuaded to buy the frame you just advised. So you might be missing out some sales oppertunities I think.

Comment

Working...
                              X