Thread: Who really needs Trantitions?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Who really needs Trantitions?

I am not against transition lenses. For instance, people suffering of photophobia should wear them but should we make everyone photophobic?

People that wear transition lenses get used to them because the lens replaces the natural protection that the eye has againts light. They become addicts to the lens. What is wrong with being exposed to sunlight for short periods during the day?

It is like wearing gloves, when we need them we wear them but should we wear gloves all the time?

I has seen people pushing the sell of transition lenses to customer that really do not need them just to make a few more dollars.

I know this is very controversial and would like to know other opinions. Maybe i am wrong.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I must be photophobic because my sunglasses go on the minute I get in the car. Photochromatic lenses have been around for a very long time. People either like them and want them, think they might like them so they try them or do not like them at all. Who are we to choose for them? I offer it to everyone, tell them the pros and cons, admit to loving the pair I own when on vacation and in and out of little shops and then allow my customer to decide. So it's not controversial in my book it's all about educating the consumer and allowing them to make the choice.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I love my Transitions. I ride horses and they are perfect for going in and out of the tack room, arena etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't forget..... they are a great wrinkle preventer! Transitions are merely a comfort lens. A clear pair of glasses shoud always be available as well. That's my approach with clients. I also never suggest that they are a sunglass substitute. I also like the UV protection that they afford, for those of light iris colors.

I do agree with you MIOPE about the dependency(rod/cone), which is temporary of course. The latest Transitions lenses are much clearer in the absence of UV, not like the old glass photogrey.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've got a pair on my latest glasses, and I (sorry) have to say that I find them to be a nuisance. At my son's soccer game tonight, I finally walked back to the car and put on my clears, as I was having a difficult time seeing the ball, but the weren't dark enough to block the setting sun.

They're not for me, but I still sell a lot to folks that swear by them...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have never worn a pair of transitions, nor do I push them in my optical. I do in fact wear polorized sunwear and have for many years because I see better with them in bright light conditions, which exist daily where I live.

So, are you saying, that all sun protective lenses are in fact detrimental, and possible not needed? That we should all just "tough" it out and get used to it? Have you heard of sunscreen? Take some type of glarebox, and compare what you see with a clear lens, transitions, and then a polorized, and then tell me what you would rather see under those conditions. My opinion would be, clear lens last, transitions second, polorized first. Seeing better is in fact addictive, whether its a low myopic correction or a reduction in the volumn of light and glare, so go's the "addiction".

JMHO

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that's why I can't wear Trans - I'm addicted to polarized. There's no comparison in most situations.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I've got a pair on my latest glasses, and I (sorry) have to say that I find them to be a nuisance. At my son's soccer game tonight, I finally walked back to the car and put on my clears, as I was having a difficult time seeing the ball, but the weren't dark enough to block the setting sun.

They're not for me, but I still sell a lot to folks that swear by them...
    Get a brown lens next time. It will do both for you

I have a couple of pair with them. They are great when I go for walks at lunch or when I walk to work, and I do not want to carry two pair with me. When I do serious sun stuff, I wear my sunglasses, but for day to day activities they are very convenient.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Transitions a comfort lens........................

A comfort lens for all day wear and many people are happy with one pair of them. They cost more and the optician earns more when trading with them.

As For Life says, it does not replace a nice brown sunglass lens.

And in my own case being aphakic I love my brown tinted Blue Blocking lenses that give me ultimate contrast and good vision in mist and fog have full UV + blue light protection right up to 535nm.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    i strongly agree that transitions will never replace the polarize glasses as they are created for different purpose. base on the understanding of the wearer need i think we as the eye care practitioner should give a good suggestion to the patient which pair to go or both. as for john condition he has such bad experience on it and imagine this is what happen to your patient and i'm sure they will not visit you anymore for the next pair. i always be careful when prescribe transition lens as some will have the perception that it is a replacement for sunglass especially when they drive. we cannot afford to have negative feedback, don't we?
    Yeap

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    And in my own case being aphakic
    Aphakic who?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Statistics have proven repeatedly that Transitions (or the desire/demand for them) continues to decline. Although they are a big ship with a small hole, nonetheless they are slowly sinking.

There is troubled waters ahead...expensive PGA campaigns with no increase in sales, President Brett Craig's recent resignation, relaunching something that has already been to market (extractve). Heck, even Essilor's ownership can't save what people decreasingly don't want.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What a segway!

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    I tried transitions before and hated them. They never became completely clear indoors and in low light which made it more difficult to see. They worked nicely in the sun but never got as dark as most sunglasses. I preferred sunglasses that were polarized and prescription because I did a lot of fishing and spent a lot of time on the water. It became a hassle to have sunglasses and eye glasses, so I ended up getting laser eye surgery.
    What an awesome idea! Why didn't we think of that!?! You know, you should become a consultant for laser eye surgery. Oh wait! You are! What a coincidience.

I wonder if this was a thread about cars if you might post: "I was so tired of the glare on my car windshield that I had laser eye surgery....":bbg::bbg::bbg:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    "Lasix" avisor! LOL!
    http://www.drugs.com/lasix.html

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    "Lasix" avisor! LOL!
    http://www.drugs.com/lasix.html

Important information about Lasix

Do not use Lasix if you are unable to urinate.

I used to have trouble...but I got a pair of glasses and now I'm fine!!!!!:bbg::bbg::bbg::bbg::bbg::bbg::bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lol!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    I tried transitions before and hated them. They never became completely clear indoors and in low light which made it more difficult to see. They worked nicely in the sun but never got as dark as most sunglasses. I preferred sunglasses that were polarized and prescription because I did a lot of fishing and spent a lot of time on the water. It became a hassle to have sunglasses and eye glasses, so I ended up getting laser eye surgery.

So, now you fish without sunglasses? What a man!!! WooooHooo.

Can you say wrinkled up prune!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You guys are brutal...
    hehehehe
    hahahah
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could somebody please remind me to never be consulted by someone who doesn't know how to spell the product of which they are advising?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scottster View Post
    Could somebody please remind me to never be consulted by someone who doesn't know how to spell the product of which they are advising?
    Sertainly!:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Cointenly! Nyuk nyuk!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've tried Transitions twice. The first time was about 2000 and I didn't think the lens got light enough and it took too long to lighten up when I came inside. I tried them again in 2008 when the Transition 6 came out and I got a free pair. Free is always good.

I like the Transition 6 much better then my first pair, they are light enough inside and lighten quickly. But they sure don't seem very dark outside! They are no where near as good as my polarized lenses or Drivewear sunglasses. Mine are brown, maybe I should have gotten gray.

My husband has gray ones and loves them, but he wears polarized lenses for driving.

Thread Information