Thread: Historical note

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Historical note

This is an excerpt from the thick book my grandfather spent 60 years in compiling our family history.

This was published in the TroyTimes newspaper in Troy, Miami County, Ohio January 29, 1840 about Gen Harmar's campaign against the Indians in 1790, narrated by my Great (4) grandfather, who was 1st Sergeant in that campaign.
    October 20, 1790

Between daylight and sunrise, they arrived at the fording of the Maumee. The enemy were prepared for them, and as soon as Gen Hardin entered the river, the Indians opened a brisk fire upon him from all along the bank where they had concealed themselves. Maj. Fountain, of the horse, had gained the opposite bank, ordered his men to charge, but upon discovering the main body of the enemy concealed in the weeds and bushes,countermanded this order and commanded a halt to give the footmen time to come up. At this moment he was shot dead and fell from his horse. Two small parties if Indians placed upon the flanks now fled as if defeated. The mounted men seeing them fly, put spurs to his horses, and gave them chase, but to little effect. As soon as the mounted men sere separated from the footmen, the Indians fell furiously upon them. As soon as Maj. Willis reached the plain, he too was shot down. He wore a very large cocked hat which an Indian secured, and wore throughout the subsequent part of the battle.Capt. McMullen discovering the stratagem of the enemy, wheeled short about, and coming upon the the backs of the savages, it was Capt. Ashton's opinion that forty of the red men fell the forest fire. The Indians then gave way,and were driven across the St. Josephs, with great slaughter. Two men by the name of Miller (an Englishman), and Cline particularly distinguished themselves in this part of the engagement. In crossing the river they thrust down the Indians with their bayonets like giging of fish.Russiaville, a Miami Chief,now living, was, I am informed, in this engagement, and relates that such vast numbers were slain while attempting to ford the river,, that is seemed literally to run blood! An affecting incident occcured here, that deserves to be noticed. An old Indian, who had two boys in the battle, in crossing the river, one of them being shot down near him,, dropped his gun and seized him for the purpose of saving him if possible,when the other also was shot down to rise no more. He drew them both to shore, sat down fearlessly between them, and was himself instantly killed there; displaying a heroism and devotion, not more than equalled, I think, by any of the kind to be met with in Greek or Roman story.

Tough times for all.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    That's wicked pissah! Pass that heritage on down to your children and grandchildren.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! I love to read things form the past.
    I came, I saw, I left

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where/when can I get the book?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information