Vision Expo. Time to come clean!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision Expo. Time to come clean!

Ok, the recent VE thread got me thinking about people's motivation for attending this semi-annual event.

Mine isn't for CEUs, nor so much to see new equipment, but rather to see how many free pens I can get, and how many parties (hosted by vendors I don't patronize:bbg:) I can sneak into. Or, maybe it's just to get out of town for a few days and get a fresh perspective of the industry.

So, here's my question. If VE decided to change the event to a one-location venue only, and the location was Davenport, Iowa (home of the world's largest truck stop), would you still attend? Or, is the location a bigger part of the draw than the actual event?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Hey, Davenport's worth a shot...never been there. :bbg: Shoot, I'd go to Nashville, Orlando, Pittsburgh, lots of places if they're cheaper than NYC.

Comment

Johns, I have attended trade shows in other industries around the world and I have always wondered why any trade show would would select the most expensive city in the country as a venue. It seems as though everyone would benefit by having cheaper flights, hotel rooms, floor space, meals, taxis, etc. Lower trade show costs should translate into lower prices for products.

Perhaps this is a case where trades shows are their own industry that is less concerned with the group and more concerned with their own bottom line.
      US distributor for Copenhagen Eyes handmade titanium frames http://www.sceye.se/copenhageneyes/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by Johns View Post
        Ok, the recent VE thread got me thinking about people's motivation for attending this semi-annual event.

Mine isn't for CEUs, nor so much to see new equipment, but rather to see how many free pens I can get, and how many parties (hosted by vendors I don't patronize:bbg:) I can sneak into. Or, maybe it's just to get out of town for a few days and get a fresh perspective of the industry.

So, here's my question. If VE decided to change the event to a one-location venue only, and the location was Davenport, Iowa (home of the world's largest truck stop), would you still attend? Or, is the location a bigger part of the draw than the actual event?
        I'd still go!

I don't do CE either, it's mainly shopping, looking and talking. I get little rest while I am there so the venue isn't a big thing for me. The plus to Vegas is that you can fly and stay there relatively cheap.
        Jana Lewis
        ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
        Joseph Roux

Comment

Originally posted by engnenk View Post
          Perhaps this is a case where trades shows are their own industry that is less concerned with the group and more concerned with their own bottom line.

Yeah, but think of what the bottom line would look like if their expenses were less. Of course, the Asian and Euro vendors might have a time getting there, but hey...

Comment

Yeah, but think of what the bottom line would look like if their expenses were less. Of course, the Asian and Euro vendors might have a time getting there, but hey...
            Chicago, Cincy, Atlanta, Detroit, Minneapolis, Dallas, all have international airports that are accessible from Europe and some from Asia.
            US distributor for Copenhagen Eyes handmade titanium frames http://www.sceye.se/copenhageneyes/index.html

Comment

The parties would consist of pabst blue ribbon and beer nuts!
              Jana Lewis
              ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
              Joseph Roux

Comment

Originally posted by Jana Lewis View Post
                The parties would consist of pabst blue ribbon and beer nuts!
                And what, may I ask, would be wrong with that?:bbg:

Comment

What about Kansas City?? Very near the geographic center of the US, mildly interesting, and Daryl Meister could walk there from his office :D Otherwise Minneapolis sounds quite nice.

What happened to the show in Chicago (Midwest Vision Congress) usually in May/June?? Why not center everything around it??

Comment

BEER NUTS!!!!!! Best nut in the World!!!

Comment

I beg to differ, I have two........ well the joke gets a bit predictable after that. :D

PS - I was half tempted to go for a Deez Nuts joke.

Comment

Originally posted by YrahG View Post
                        I beg to differ, I have two........ well the joke gets a bit predictable after that. :D

PS - I was half tempted to go for a Deez Nuts joke.

Awww! NUTS!
                        Jana Lewis
                        ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Comment

Schedule an expo in Chicago (or Milwaukee) and I will have plenty of mid-western beer and beer nuts. Maybe some wine and pistachios for our friends from the west coast and something equally appealing for the east coast contingent. Bottom line is that if it is cheaper for me to show you my goods, that cost savings will be reflected in the price.
                          Last edited by engnenk; 05-27-2010, 10:03 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

And what, may I ask, would be wrong with that?:bbg:
                            I KNEW! I just KNEW I wasn't wrong about you!!! :P
                            Jana Lewis
                            ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Comment

There used to be a time......................

There used to be a time when the predecessor to Vision Expo..........the old "OPTIFAIR" used to be held at the "New York Hilton" and the next door "SHERATON" Hotels.

They used every little hall in the 2 hotels for exhibition space. The mood was great and somehow it had a cozy atmosphere. The show belonged to a small group of optometrists who run it as a side business and made as it was said between 2 and 3 million $ in profits. Then in the mid 80s some of the large exhibitors formed a company that then took over as a non profit company using the profits for advancement of good vision.
                              I am not mquite sure what todays setup is.

Optfair and Vision Expo enjoyed a huge influx form overseas buyers and visitors. In the last 10 years every country of any reputation have now their own optical shows, with the same exhibitors as you can see in New York, Las Vegas, Madrid and Paris not excluding Milan.

You could actually make a holiday on business expense money in nearly every country from China to Poland.

Times have changed and none of them shows have a superb attendance anymore, they are a dying breed. The possibility of an instant visit to a website of a company does not help the issue either.

The choice of a smaller less expensive place will not change the problem it just will become a standard show that attracts visitors from up to 300 - 500 miles.

Furthermore there is the problem of the retail market being taken over by some large supply corporations as well as retailers from stores to on-line. Something has to give to make space for others.

Comment

Working...
                              X