Thread: Moving? Beware of Allied Van Lines!!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Angry Moving? Beware of Allied Van Lines!!!

I am angry as hell right now!

Allied Van Lines 'lost' approximately $5200.000 worth of our musics CDs during our move from California to Arizona. After several excruciating weeks of dealing with a very unprofessional Customer Service and Claims staff, they denied our claim on the grounds that we 'accepted' delivery of our goods and did not note at the time we received them that the CDs were missing. Forget the fact that we had a house full of about 500 boxes and there was absolutely no way to go through each and everyone of them immediately to determine if anything was missing. In fact there was a box missing and we notified the movers of this fact at the time they unloaded. We were told not to worry and that if the missing box didn't show up, we had 9 months to file a claim.

In all my dealings with Allied I never once received the courtesy of having my phone calls returned (in spite of numerous messages). In addition, they never seemed to care that one of their employees could possibly be responsible for the missing items. Instead in every word and deed, they have come across as an arrogant, uncaring company that was only interested in covering up any possible misdeeds and liability.

If you ever have occasion to need to hire a moving company, do yourself a big favor and avoid Allied Van Lines and their subsidiaries.

:angry:

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Bad address email on file Suzy W's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Goodness Steve!!!! I would be mad as heck now too!
    They didn't know who they were dealing with though did they?
    I wonder how much business they just lost because of you letting us know what happened???

Suzy

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

Steve,
    Two words........That Suck's . Do you have any recourse on this kind of thing? Was that the only thing missing ? I don't have any intentions of moving in the near future .............but i will be sure to pass the word around.

Occupation
    We are filing for arbitration so we'll just have to see how it turns out. And yes, this was the only box missing. IMO this company should be more concerned about investigating potential criminal activity among their employees than in trying to deny a legitimate claim.

My CDs are missing. They were last in the hands of this company and they never delivered them to us in AZ. That's the bottom line.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Isolate your eyes! Live Eyewear's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Make sure you file a complaint with BBB in Arizona and Cali. It doesn't get you anywhere bbut if you write a letter to Allied HQ and tell them you will be filing a complaint etc. they may not wish for it to be posted on BBB national website and may reimburse you to settle.

Occupation
    Thanks. I've already filed a complaint with the BBB in California. We'll be putting something together for Allied HQ too. The only problem is that they will not divulge where I can send this other than to the person that we have the complaint with. Allied refuses to give out any information and prefers everything goes through the department that has given us the major problem.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve:

In the early 80's I was an an Air Force TMO (traffic management officer). It was my job to make sure that when a guy moved his household goods, we had the movers set up to take care of it. We had a tremendous amount of reported thefts. It got to be so bad, that we had to start assigning inspectors to be at the house when the stuff was packed, and at the destination when it was unpacked. A favorite of UNLV (although they weren't alone in this), was to "forget" to list stereo components, CDs, and other easily pilfered item on the manifest. At the time of delivery, the movers couldn't get out of the house fast enough. I saw them try to make homeowners "sign off" on shipments before the back doors of the truck were even opened.
    Unfortunatley, these guys know how to play the game, and know how hard it is to prove wrongdoing.

Good Luck

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar

Angry

Steve:

Have you and your wife checked out the website: Planetfeedback? It may give you the contact information you are seeking.

If you don't know much about it, Planetfeedback is a way to communicate "the good, the bad & the ugly" with companies.
    You can also research what other consumers have written.

Check the website out, it will probably give you the CEO's name and address....you don't have to USE planetfeedback except to get the info you want -

HTH - Good luck!

Karen
    :angry:

Occupation
    Thanks Karen. I checked it out but it would not give me any information about the company. All I could get was an online form to fill out a complaint and the generic address I already had.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Crier wish you well

I guess you been to their site so this address is no good.
    Allied Van Lines, Inc.
    P.O. Box 4403
    Chicago, IL 60680-4403
    1-800-470-AVL1 (1-800-470-2851)
    Sound like a right outfit as they arn't over keen on givin out info...

Occupation
    Thanks John. Yes, that';s the same address and phone number I have. The only problem is ALL mail to this address gets routed through the Department and manager that my complaint is with. Obviously this is no good. No one in this organization will give me a name and address of anyone higher up.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Bad address email on file optigoddess's Avatar

try this?

Steve:

According to Planetfeedback, the CEO os Allied Van Lines is: Michael Fergus. The phone # they have listed is: 800-468-6285 and fax # 630-717-3132. (address is the same one listed as in John R's response).

Another helpful source of information is Clark Howard (www.clarkhoward.com) He is an Atlanta-based consumer advocate with a national radio show. I checked out his website for any information that relating to this subject: Under "rolodex" and then "moving/relocation" there is a listing for: Problem resolution: American Movers Dispute Settlement Program 703-683-7410; 1611 Duke Street; Alexandria VA 22314. They provide arbitration with interstate movers. It mentions that you have 60 days after a move to request in writing for this organization to assist with arbitration with an interstate mover.

Also listed is the Federal Highway Dept. of Transportation 404-562-3620.

FYI; clark will be on ABC.com tonight at 6pm in a live chat - there is a note on his website to log your question with him -

Go Get'em Steve! :cheers:

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Lightbulb

try here steve click
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Howdy Steve,

The main headquartes is 215 W. Diehl Rd. Naperville, IL. 60563-1278 and Mike Fergus is the CEO. In the mean time get a copy of the agreement you signed with the company and find a friendly neighborhood lawyer and go after them. These companies may tell you that they can't watch all of their employees all the time so when things happen they can't take responsibility for the actions of others. This is a crock and is the reason they are bonded and insurred. The Company is responsible and needs to be held accountable. You might even be able to get a "bad faith" judgement against them which means you could sue them for punitive damages as well as loss.

Nail them to the wall. The reason these companies get away with things like this is because no one challenges them. If more people challenge them they will figure out a way to keep a closer eye on their employees I'll guarantee it.

Hope this helps and I will not use Allied for anything.

Thanks for the heads up.

Darris C.

Occupation
    Thanks for the info guys. I'd like to contact a lawyer but I don;t know if I can afford it. Of course this is exactly what they count on. Even taking this to arbitration is going to cost us money. Nonetheless we are in the right and deserve to be compensated for the loss of our goods. Besides, Marlena is even more p-o'd than I am and you don't want to get on her wrong side!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve,

Try to find a lawyer that will take it on contingency if punitive can be filed. It's gonna cost you money one way or the other. If you do nothing it will cost you $5200.00. If you go to arbitration it will cost you money for the arbitrator and then you may opnly get back $5200.00 in compensation which means after you pay for the arbitrator you still lost money. If you can get a lawyer to file punitive you can get your $5200.00 plus legal costs, plus punitive damages or "pain and suffering" and perhaps make a little money in the process off of those scam artists known as Allied.

My thoughts not yours :)

Darris C.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve,

One other place to file a complaint is the State Bureau of Consumer Protection in California and Arizona. They investigate for no charge and have lawyers and paralegals on staff who persue grievances.

Bev

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve:

Sue in Mississippi in one of our poorer less educated more ethnic counties. We are famous for our lack of tort reform and rediculously high awards for individuals against big companies. You could retire on this if you sue here.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm with Chip on this one. He's not exaggerating.

Occupation
    Unfortunately I have no legal standing in Mississippi. Would that matter? :D

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not sure, but Allied Van Lines operates out of here, you can probably sue anywhere they operate. The Tobacco suits came here, as well as a lot of medical liability suits. We are the preferred location for all big time liability suits. I am sure some greedy lawyer could prove you stopped a rest stop here once or something.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve,
    Have you filed a complaint with the State Atorney general's office? It is my understanding that the complaint is sent to Allied and they have so long to respond and if there are numerous complaints they are fined if there is a finding of guilt. It is free and they will at least know you are serious and have a complaint on record!

California AG: http://caag.state.ca.us/

Arizona AG: http://www.attorney_general.state.az.us/

I have done this one or two times and it does seem to elicit a response!
    Last edited by Cindy Hamlin; 03-04-2002 at 08:56 AM.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Excellent Cindy! I'll do that!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Thread Information