Zeiss vs. Hoya vs. Essilor vs. Shamir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeiss vs. Hoya vs. Essilor vs. Shamir

Can anyone tell me in terms of progressives, which ones are the best especially those complaining of peripheral distorsions? I've heard Shamir autograph II and Hoya id are great lenses, any good lenses in Zeiss?

I'm going to assume that you are talking Free Form progressives.

Zeiss = Individual

Hoya = Hoya ID

Shamir = Autograph II

Essilor = Ideal

Seiko = Succeed/Supercede

I have heard very good things about all of them. We sell both the Seiko and Shamir designs and there seems to be a slight preference towards the Seiko's. However, you should have no trouble finding people who will say that one or the other is the best.

Especially see post #12 in this thread for some good comparative information: http://www.optiboard.com/forums/thre...125#post343125
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Comment

i agree that Hoya ID is a great lens. just another option for you, SolaOne HD.. Zeiss we have some feedback that the reading portion is a little narrower especially they have short corridor PAL before but far vision is great..
      Yeap

Comment

Depends entirely on: The patient, patient's lifestyle, the patients Rx, the patients expectations, the frame dimensions, frequently POW when required, lens material/features, and of course cost both to the practice and the patient.

Apart from that, they're pretty much the same. ;):p:shiner::cheers::hammer:

Comment

Tried em all..and nothing comes close to Indo lifesyle Expert for edge to edge far vision. I can tell because I have compared them while watching my 92 inch home theater screen. I like the wide intermediate on the Hoya, Pentax perfas and Shamir autograph let you shorten the coridor to make reading and laptop use easier (like the little letters on the inside of the temples..). Physio 360 was up there too, even though its not truly freeform. Zeiss has had responses about a narrower intermediate..but as was said..when its freeform, every job will be different!

I truly like the Indo expert for myopes, and its about the same price as regular varilux.(its not truly freeform either, but it works REALLY WELL)

Comment

Originally posted by snotbagel View Post
            I truly like the Indo expert for myopes, and its about the same price as regular varilux.(its not truly freeform either, but it works REALLY WELL)
            It is not?
            Why not?
            What makes it not *truly freeform*?

Comment

The software does not have inputs for panto, wrap , and vertex, ..no position of wear correctios. The surface ticket reads exactly as your ordered RX. A freeform lens will have at last SOME pow corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by snotbagel View Post
                A freeform lens will have at last SOME pow corrections.
                Really?

Is that what "freeform" really means?

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post
                  Really?

If you listen to your average sales rep it is :cheers:

Comment

Sounds like some pretty heavy Zeiss/Shamir/Hoya brainwash to me! hehe :hammer::shiner::p

Comment

Originally posted by Fezz View Post
                      Really?

By what should be (but isn't yet) the standard definitions:

Free Form = ALL progresssive power generated on the back surface of the lens. (ex: Shamir Autograph II, Seiko Succeed, Essilor Ideal (this is NOT a complete list of all Free Form lenses, just examples))

Digitally Surfaced = lens run through special software designed to more accurately calculate back curves and generated with said curves, usually front surface molded progressive (ex: Varilux 360 and Enhanced series, Definity (yes, I know the Definity has some of the power on the back, but the front is still molded)). In theory I could run any progressive (Image, VIP, Natural, etc.) through such software and call it "Digitally Surfaced."
                      There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Comment

How would you categorize HOYALUX ID (free form generation on both sides) or HOYALUX ID Lifestyle (vertical progression on molded front, free form back surface includes horizontal elements of progressive, including inset)?
                        RT

Comment

Hoya has defined free-form on their website as such:"HOYA’s Free-Form design approach is based on the understanding that no two eyes are the same. Our patented Integrated Double Surface Design (IDSD) technology maps the specific rotation of each eye, creating the blueprint for lens construction. HOYA Free-Form Fabrication then uses diamond point tools to shape both sides of the lens to the exact specifications of your eye rotation." This obviously describes the Hoyalux ID which through dispensing, I have found to be the best, although the most expensive, fully free-form lens. The only other lens in this category is the Zeiss Individual, which I have Not dispensed. Every other "free-form" lens design are hybrid molded or spherical fronts with digital back side designs.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind!"
                          - Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Uilleann View Post
                            Sounds like some pretty heavy Zeiss/Shamir/Hoya brainwash to me! hehe :hammer::shiner::p
                            ** Edited **

Uilleann,

For someone who is so tired of all the company bashing you seem to be a professional at the craft. In my neck of the woods we have a name for that.
                            Last edited by YrahG; 05-25-2010, 08:15 AM.

Comment

My wife, much, much wiser than I, told me I didn't have to go to every argument to which I was invited. I am going to take that advice today.

Note: the rest of the original post has been deleted by me, to be continued by PM where it should have been to begin with.
                              Last edited by hcjilson; 05-25-2010, 06:41 AM. Reason: I felt like it.
                              "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
                              Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
                              www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Comment

Working...
                              X