Thread: Zeiss MyoVision reduces myopia by 30%

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Zeiss MyoVision reduces myopia by 30%

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, I don't get it. The "Explain Myovision" video (for which I don't get audio) seems to be about matters chiropractic, not optical. Does anyone know what this is about? How does a spectacle lens limit axial growth, or corneal steepening? I'm lost here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It seems that this lens is probably a multifocal design like the Anti-fatigue Lens by Essilor...which I tongue-in-cheek refer to as the "training bra" for multifocal wearers. It is probably the same old bifocals for kids trend that we see popping up and studied here in North America ad nauseam...........I am only speculating of course.
    No mention of it in Canadian pricelists from Zeiss.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably the replacement for XL!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    It seems that this lens is probably a multifocal design like the Anti-fatigue Lens by Essilor...which I tongue-in-cheek refer to as the "training bra" for multifocal wearers. It is probably the same old bifocals for kids trend that we see popping up and studied here in North America ad nauseam...........I am only speculating of course.
    No mention of it in Canadian pricelists from Zeiss.
    So we're back to the question of whether or not reading/accomodating causes myopia. I've heard that question answered both ways. What's the current wisdom? Do Ophthalmology and Optometry agree on this?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope our resident ZEISS expert will join in........maybe on Monday?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And another question: Everybody has 30% less myopia, or 30% fewer people develop myopia? If you are among the 70%, do you have no myopia? Or only 70% of what we thought you'd have? You Zeiss marketers, please explain the phrase.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    As i understand Myovision is to slow down progression by 30% not reduce the Rx by 30%. it using a 'peripheral vision management technology' on that purpose.. is not a 'new' children progressive lens. Myopic control study shows that the eyeball will get elongated to 'find' the focus if the image shell projected behind the retina. so myovision projected the image shell in front of the retinal on the peripheral so the eyeball will not elongated and hence achieve the myopia control..
    Yeap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeap View Post
    As i understand Myovision is to slow down progression by 30% not reduce the Rx by 30%. it using a 'peripheral vision management technology' on that purpose.. is not a 'new' children progressive lens. Myopic control study shows that the eyeball will get elongated to 'find' the focus if the image shell projected behind the retina. so myovision projected the image shell in front of the retinal on the peripheral so the eyeball will not elongated and hence achieve the myopia control..
    So...control study? by whom. Source please!

What is the uniqueness of this lens design?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    This is not about accomodation at near causing myopia. It is about peripheral retinal blur...not central. Peripheral blur behind the retina has been shown to induce myopia, hence the aspheric nature of the lens. Yeap has it right. This is not a progressive lens to reduce accomodation.

I don't have the exact reference, but I recently attended a CE class on the topic given by this fellow. http://www.sunyopt.edu/research/troilo/index.shtml

These studies help to explain why controlling accomodation does not always control myopia. There is much more to it.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    the study invoilved Prof Brien Holden conducted in Sun Yat-Sen University China from Oct 2009-Jan 2009.sorry that i don't have much source to provide you. maybe you can try to serach this in some journal. but before this lots study and research on animal done show positive results that when the peripheral image projected in front of retinal it able to slow down or even stop the eye globe gowth. other than that i think fjpod has explain it well.
    Yeap

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I can't find any links directly attributed to Zeiss on the net. Is this a spoof?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So....this is an aspheric lens design? 2-drop, 4-drop?

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    As FJPOD pointed out, MyoVision slows the progression of myopia by manipulating the peripheral retinal image. Conventional lenses are generally designed to focus light on the central retina for different angles of view. Recent research suggests that the quality of the peripheral retinal image may contribute to the stimulation of continued eye growth or "emmetropization."

The MyoVision lens design is a highly aspheric and asymmetric single vision lens design. Essentially, the lens attempts to improve the focus of the retinal image not only at the fovea but also away from the fovea, at least through the central region of the spectacle lens. In theory, this should reduce the stimulus to continued emmetropization.

The 30% reduction in myopia progression, or the rate of increase in myopia, refers to children in the clinical study with at least one myopic parent.
    Last edited by Darryl Meister; 05-12-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    As FJPOD pointed out, MyoVision reduces myopia by manipulating the peripheral retinal image. Conventional lenses are generally designed to focus of light on the central retina for different angles of view. Recent research suggests that the quality of the peripheral retinal image may contribute to the stimulation of continued eye growth or "emmetropization."

The MyoVision lens design is a highly aspheric and asymmetric single vision lens design. Essentially, the lens attempts to improve the focus of the retinal image not only at the fovea but also away from the fovea, at least through the central region of the spectacle lens. In theory, this should reduce the stimulus to continued emmetropization.

The 30% reduction in myopia progression, or the rate of increase in myopia, refers to children in the clinical study with at least one myopic parent.
    And this lens is available in Canada/U.S.A. and is known as...........?????

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    It is not currently available in Canada or the USA. We have not confirmed a launch date for this region yet.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Interesting. If I were a parent interested in the amount of my child's myopia, would I not prefer Ortho K, which has also been said to control myopic progression, while temporarily correcting it?
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Interesting. If I were a parent interested in the amount of my child's myopia, would I not prefer Ortho K, which has also been said to control myopic progression, while temporarily correcting it?
    I suspect that the spectacle lens market for 6- to 12-year-olds is at least as large as the market for rigid contact lenses for that age group. I suspect that the question, which is probably fairly easy for a parent to answer, becomes: "Why use a regular spectacle lens for your child when you could buy a spectacle that will reduce your child's potential visual impairment?"
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If it is true, this lens is all that anyone will want, until age 40. Not that it will be scientifically valid--but patients aren't scientific but emotional, and prescribers won't be in any position to say "no".

Heck, we may get the argument that we were negligent in not recommending them, if someone progresses 1/2 D.

Some good science would be nice.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    If it is true, this lens is all that anyone will want, until age 40. Not that it will be scientifically valid--but patients aren't scientific but emotional, and prescribers won't be in any position to say "no".
    Just keep in mind that the progression of myopia typically stabilizes by age 16 or 17 years. The positive results obtained in the clinical study was for children between the ages of 6 and 12 years with at least one myopic parent (so some genetic component). More studies are underway in collaboration with Vision CRC though.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeap View Post
    the study invoilved Prof Brien Holden conducted in Sun Yat-Sen University China from Oct 2009-Jan 2009.sorry that i don't have much source to provide you. maybe you can try to serach this in some journal. but before this lots study and research on animal done show positive results that when the peripheral image projected in front of retinal it able to slow down or even stop the eye globe gowth. other than that i think fjpod has explain it well.
    I'm a bit confused by the timeline you use on this study Oct 2009 to Jan 2009 ????????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    As FJPOD pointed out, MyoVision slows the progression of myopia by manipulating the peripheral retinal image. Conventional lenses are generally designed to focus of light on the central retina for different angles of view. Recent research suggests that the quality of the peripheral retinal image may contribute to the stimulation of continued eye growth or "emmetropization."

As my little myopic friend, wearing the WW2 helmet, parting the long tall reeds would say...VELLLLY INTERRRRRESTHHHING!!!!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think you're generally correct on when myopia stabilizes, but I'm specifically talking about consumer demand. In the clinic, you'd be suprised how many people fret over myopic progression.

(FWIW, I'm officially a doubter of this entire theory of myop-i-genesis.)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I think you're generally correct on when myopia stabilizes, but I'm specifically talking about consumer demand. In the clinic, you'd be suprised how many people fret over myopic progression.

(FWIW, I'm officially a doubter of this entire theory of myop-i-genesis.)
    mmm... do some serious reading on this. It opened my eyes (no pun intended). This is not the "accomodation at near causing myopia" theory. This has to do with whether the shape of the eye (as determined by genes) is prolate or oblate. I forget which is more prone to myopia, but if you are the "wrong" one, you will progress due to the fact that the peripheral retinal image is falling in the wrong place. The aspheric nature of the lens is not for the purpose of adding plus at near. It is to put the peripheral retinal image in the right place, thereby reducing the stimulus to myopia.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Many times, myopia will start in children at age 7 or 8. Most parents would freak out at a doctors recommendation to use CLs at this age...let alone a HARD lens.

Also, in my mind, OrthoK does not get at the root cause of the myopic progression. And while it may seem to work well while the patient is in lenses, they usually lose most of the effect if wear is stopped. So, it's not a panacea.

Thread Information