Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Zeiss MyoVision reduces myopia by 30%

Occupation
    Optometrist
    @ uncut: the time line is Oct 2007-jan 2009..sorry my mistake.
    Yeap

Occupation
    Optometrist
    If not compare either ortho k or Myovision can achieve a better result. i will think that now we have another option for our patient that concern about their myope progression. as Darryl mentioned it has been study through 6-12 years old kids but i really curious how the outcome if i fit it to some 15 -18 years old teens, as in Asia the myope progression is at the level that worries the practitioner.
    Yeap

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Children through 16 years of age were included in the study but they experienced less of a benefit than the younger children. As did children with no myopic parents.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Just wondering if anyone can cite any peer reviewed articles on this interesting topic?

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I have a few that I can dig up tomorrow.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    I'm a bit confused by the timeline you use on this study Oct 2009 to Jan 2009 ????????
    A grand conclusion for such a short timeline in a developing child's life, don't you think?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Depending on the OD's perspective, parents these days can be very receptive to passive fixes to their kids problems. WE know that moderate myopia is much more prevalent than in pre-industrial populations. The average amount is just about our regular reading distance..does anyone see smoke yet?
    Tearing the kids away from their Ipods, etc, is too much trouble, however..lets just fix em up after with expensive eyewear!..Yeah..big bucks for me!

I know, I'm being sarcastic,..but also a bit truthful..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I found this related to the topic
    http://vimeo.com/10917445

If it works, I think this will be almost as big as progressive lenses are to the industry.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Darryl, do you have links to any studies on this?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Just wondering if anyone can cite any peer reviewed articles on this interesting topic?
    Ditto

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'll see if I can post something later this weekend.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    INTERESTING !
    requisitng to mr DARRYL......would it be possible to get this lens in MIDDLE EAST ?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper The other side.............................

Vision Therapy
    Like Bates, "Vision therapists" claim to strengthen eyesight through a series of exercises. In contrast to Bates' use of relaxation, vision therapists promote active exercises. They emphasize exercising focusing, eye pointing and eye movement skills. Exercises may include eye-hand coordination drills, watching a series of blinking lights, staring at colored lights (Syntonics), bouncing on a trampoline and even sleeping in a certain position. Often they prescribe bifocal and prism glasses to prevent or cure nearsightedness. In addition to promising to eliminate glasses, they claim that these methods can also improve school and athletic performance, increase I.Q., help overcome learning problems and attention disorders and even prevent juvenile delinquency. However, no scientific evidence supports such claims [2-4].
    In 2009, the United Kingdom's College of Optometrists evaluated ten types of controversial eye-related programs claimed to improve visual, mental, neurological, and behavioral problems: (a) vision therapy for accommodation/convergence disorders; (b) vision therapy for dyslexia and other forms of academic underachievement; (c) prisms for near binocular disorders and for producing postural change; (d) near point stress and low-plus prescriptions; (e) use of low-plus lenses for close work to slow the progression of myopia; (f) exercises to reduce myopia; (g) behavioral approaches to treating strabismus and amblyopia; (h) training central and peripheral awareness and syntonics; (i) sports vision therapy; and (j) neurorehabilitation after trauma/stroke. The reviewers concluded:
    There is a continued paucity of controlled trials in the literature to support behavioural optometry approaches. Although there are areas where the available evidence is consistent with claims made by behavioural optometrists (most notably in relation to the treatment of convergence insufficiency, the use of yoked prisms in neurological patients, and in vision rehabilitation after brain disease/injury), a large majority of behavioural management approaches are not evidence-based, and thus cannot be advocated [5].
    There is a proven segment of vision therapy known as orthoptics which can help with symptoms of visual strain or fatigue in individuals with mild eye coordination or focus problems (including conversion insufficienty), double vision, or even strabismus ("crossed" or turned eyes) and amblyopia ("lazy eye") [6-9]. Many optometrists, ophthalmologists, and Certified Orthoptists offer orthoptic diagnostic and treatment services.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are still waiting on a peer reviewed study on Myovision. Maybe there isn't one. Just you Tube?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Vision Therapy
    Like Bates, "Vision therapists" claim to strengthen eyesight through a series of exercises. In contrast to Bates' use of relaxation, vision therapists promote active exercises. They emphasize exercising focusing, eye pointing and eye movement skills. Exercises may include eye-hand coordination drills, watching a series of blinking lights, staring at colored lights (Syntonics), bouncing on a trampoline and even sleeping in a certain position. Often they prescribe bifocal and prism glasses to prevent or cure nearsightedness. In addition to promising to eliminate glasses, they claim that these methods can also improve school and athletic performance, increase I.Q., help overcome learning problems and attention disorders and even prevent juvenile delinquency. However, no scientific evidence supports such claims [2-4].
    In 2009, the United Kingdom's College of Optometrists evaluated ten types of controversial eye-related programs claimed to improve visual, mental, neurological, and behavioral problems: (a) vision therapy for accommodation/convergence disorders; (b) vision therapy for dyslexia and other forms of academic underachievement; (c) prisms for near binocular disorders and for producing postural change; (d) near point stress and low-plus prescriptions; (e) use of low-plus lenses for close work to slow the progression of myopia; (f) exercises to reduce myopia; (g) behavioral approaches to treating strabismus and amblyopia; (h) training central and peripheral awareness and syntonics; (i) sports vision therapy; and (j) neurorehabilitation after trauma/stroke. The reviewers concluded:
    There is a continued paucity of controlled trials in the literature to support behavioural optometry approaches. Although there are areas where the available evidence is consistent with claims made by behavioural optometrists (most notably in relation to the treatment of convergence insufficiency, the use of yoked prisms in neurological patients, and in vision rehabilitation after brain disease/injury), a large majority of behavioural management approaches are not evidence-based, and thus cannot be advocated [5].
    There is a proven segment of vision therapy known as orthoptics which can help with symptoms of visual strain or fatigue in individuals with mild eye coordination or focus problems (including conversion insufficienty), double vision, or even strabismus ("crossed" or turned eyes) and amblyopia ("lazy eye") [6-9]. Many optometrists, ophthalmologists, and Certified Orthoptists offer orthoptic diagnostic and treatment services.
    Not sure if this thread has just been hijacked or not......:hammer:

To clarify, it might be best to include that vision therapy and orthoptics are terms that are often used interchangeably. There is a wide body of literature supporting the benefits of vision therapy, but many readers conclude that those techniques are similar if not identical to those used in orthoptic training.

OMD's like the term orthoptics. ODs like the term vision therapy. Tomayto/Tomahto. I hope the readers don't get the sense that vision therapy is voodoo eye care. That would be unfair to those that have proven gains from visual training.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    We are still waiting on a peer reviewed study on Myovision. Maybe there isn't one. Just you Tube?
    It it highly likely that some "palm grease" is required in order to obtain such a study?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    I'll see if I can post something later this weekend.
    Brien Holden and Co has done a study on 200+ children in China using Myovision. How come they did not publish their findings in scientific publications?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maybe it was not a good scientific study that would hold up to review?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Speaking of Zeiss... I understand they're going to cause a bit of a stir tomorrow

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK what's the news with Zeiss?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK, this thread now has been hijacked.
    Back to the original topic: Isn't it true that the progression of myopia is due to changes in corneal curvature and/or globe size, both related to growth? Is the conformation of the eye finalized before puberty? Doesn't the eye continue to change until adulthood? Am I wrong, or do kids' eyes seem to change most dramatically during growth spurts, like when they grow 15 inches over a summer? How can eyeglasses deal with that? I'm confused; possibly simply incorrect, but confused.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The abstract of the Vision CRC study for MyoVision lenses has been published online on ARVO's website at Progression of Myopia With Spectacle Lenses Designed to Reduce Relative Peripheral Hyperopia: 12 Months Results. A paper has also been submitted to and accepted by Optometry and Vision Science, although it has not been published yet, so keep an eye out for it.

The study included 210 Chinese children aged 6 to 16 years, and ran from 2007 to 2008.

Another interesting article on the subject of the shape of the myopic eye and the potential mechanisms behind the development of myopia is Homeostasis of Eye Growth and the Question of Myopia.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    The abstract of the Vision CRC study for MyoVision lenses has been published online on ARVO's website at Progression of Myopia With Spectacle Lenses Designed to Reduce Relative Peripheral Hyperopia: 12 Months Results. A paper has also been submitted to and accepted by Optometry and Vision Science, although it has not been published yet, so keep an eye out for it.

The study included 210 Chinese children aged 6 to 16 years, and ran from 2007 to 2008.

Another interesting article on the subject of the shape of the myopic eye and the potential mechanisms behind the development of myopia is Homeostasis of Eye Growth and the Question of Myopia.
    O.K. So now we have at least a link to "an abstract". Thank you Darryl!.........................now......................... how about a little teensyweensy hint about this glorious lens design????? Since it is from Zeiss, I assume you have some information about what makes this lens so special.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is anybody else finding this a painful process of information extraction? Something like a root canal? :bbg

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut
    how about a little teensyweensy hint about this glorious lens design?????
    I actually explained the lens design back in Post #14. It is essentially a highly aspheric lens single vision lens that corrects the relative hyperopia in the peripheral retinal of the myopic eye.

The lens design is a bit more complex than that, with some degree of asymmetry, but this is probably the easiest way to think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by uncut
    Is anybody else finding this a painful process of information extraction? Something like a root canal?
    Keep in mind that that the product was only recently launched in Asia-Pacific. The product hasn't actually launched in the US, and will not be launching here anytime soon, so I, personally, wouldn't normally have as much information regarding the product readily available.

Also, much of the information regarding the clinical study that you are requesting has only recently been submitted for publication. Until it has been published, there isn't a lot to share with you regarding the actual study, beyond the abstracts.
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information