Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transitions Next Generation.....

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie Transitions Next Generation.....

Put the first pair of Panamic NG's on the Dr. next door...he's really blown away. He has always been a big PGX fan, but we put him in trans III last year, they were just "OK". but the new NG's are "great improvement". The trans III's take about 3.5 minutes to get dark....the NG's about 40 seconds!!! Should be a big hit with consumers!

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Agreed!

I have fit a couple so far and the remarks from the customers have been very impressive. On the last pair i dispensed..........the customer actually came back in to the store to tell me how his lenses darkend down before he got to his car.:)Nothing better than a happy customer.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The 3 major labs here in Kansas City are sponsoring "An Evening
    of Smart Moves" concerning the NG tonight.

I'll try to post the results of this seminar tomorrow.

Bob V.

Bad address email on file
    Anyone have info. on how the new transitions product compares with sunsensors/colormatic extra?

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Dont know how they compare but can tell you they are very good. :D

We have fit several in the next generations, and they love them, I have some for me on order, and I can't wait.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took two new lenses,one Sunsensor, the other, Next Gen. Trans., both Plano, outside in the sun. The Next Gen was the darker of the two, by a quite noticeable amount. In Florida sun and 80 degrees.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, the seminar went well---Kansas City was the 6th stop of the
    "tour". A group of actors posing as Ben Franklin, Thomas Edison and a few others were walking around touting the advantages
    of NG. The actual sales presentation was good and the numbers they were throwing out for the speed of changing compared to
    T III were impressive.

Lots of music and a few videos showing the happy Transitions employees.

Bob V.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    specs13 said:
    I took two new lenses,one Sunsensor, the other, Next Gen. Trans., both Plano, outside in the sun. The Next Gen was the darker of the two, by a quite noticeable amount. In Florida sun and 80 degrees.
    Great info i'm going to give it a try up here in the cold Northeast.I'll do it in a day or so.......let ya know how i make out.
    :)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I'm just an interested consumer intrigued by the new transition lenses you're discussing. You say they darken fast. Do they get light fast as well? I've never worn them, but know someone who does and he has to wait a bit when going inside for his lenses to get light enough to see again.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dannette, Transitions NG turn about 89% dark in approx. 34 seconds and light in about the same time. They are supposed to remain crystal clear indoors unlike previous "generations".

Bob V.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are clearer than reg. Trans. III but still there is a slight tint. They lighten a little faster than before but its still a wait.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Anyone want to say how they compare to PGX (PhotoGray Extra) glass?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I hate to oversimplify......

I hate to oversimplify but in this case I'll make an exception.

They're half the weight and 26 times as impact resistant.The use of glass as a spectacle lens represents technology over 200 years old.No one can give a good reason for putting a glass lens 10 mm in front of a human eye when you can increase the safety factor expotentially.If you are welding.....get a face plate with glass lenses.

You can walk on an artificial leg, and you can hear with a hearing aid, but you can't see through a glass eye.Safety first! hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper transitions

:cheers: :cheers: were using them and they have been getting rave reviews, we also found about 40 seconds to turn, also darken them first with a uv light and your patients will love it, now if they would just make it polarized and lightweight and ar, what more could you ask for.

Occupation
    Thanks Harry. Unfortunately I didn't word my question correctly. What I meant was how does PGX compare to9 the new transitions in photocromic performance?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper tran performance

:D Not sure which Harry your talking to, but then we have three on the board that i know about. As far as i,m concerned leaving the safety issues out. it performs better, faster and with almost no residual tint

Occupation
    Thanks Harry. I was responding the the 'hcjilson' Harry's comments above mine. I guess I should have used this nifty quote feature, eh?

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Compared to III

Most of the literature I have read compares Next Generation to Transitions III. Great new product that is to be marketed as an alternative to clear lenses with the benefit of UV400 and changeability.

I am trying to attach a PR from Transitions and may only be able to attach a text version.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

too hard to follow

Hey Steve...the attachment is too dificult to read. In other words, it is a pain in the #&$ to scroll over. What happened?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jackie L,
    Not to butt in ........try changing your text width from variable to fixed.

Occupation
    All I get is a blank document when I try to open it.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Sheesh ...

For Immediate Release CONTACT: Ellen Wein or Courtney Haines Magnet Communications (412) 456-4300 or Susy Cabral Transitions Optical, Inc. (727) 545-0400 ext. 7159 DRAMATIC IMPROVEMENT IN PHOTOCHROMIC PERFORMANCE ONLY POSSIBLE THROUGH TRANSITIONS OPTICAL'S PROPRIETARY TECHNOLOGY PINELLAS PARK, Fla., Winter 2002 - A breakthrough in photochromic lens technology is changing the face of prescription eyewear. The proprietary technology in Next Generation Transitions(, 1.50 from Transitions Optical, Inc. delivers performance that far surpasses any previous photochromic technology. "Next Generation Transitions have the indoor clarity of regular lenses, sunglass darkness outdoors, the fastest activation and significant improvements in fatigue resistance, resulting in photochromic performance that outlasts the life of the prescription," said Dave Cole, general manager of the Americas, Transitions Optical, Inc. "These results have not been achieved with the alternative technology, in-mass." "The strong relationships we have allow us to combine the latest in monomers, casting and photochromics resulting in the best photochromics in Transitions regardless of material or lens types," added John Ligas, director of product leadership, Transitions Optical, Inc. "We didn't just make a small change. It was a change in the system, the substrate and the photochromic dyes together, that allowed us to achieve the clearest, darkest, fastest photochromics and significant improvement in wear," explained Ligas. "The new system also makes the lens easier to handle and process, more scratch resistant on the back side and even more compatible with most AR coatings." Indoor Clarity of Clear Lenses Indoors, Next Generation Transitions, 1.50 transmit 89 percent of light, making them the clearest photochromic lenses available. In comparison, clear plastic lenses transmit 92 percent of light, while polycarbonate lenses transmit 90 percent. The clarity of the new lenses makes it difficult if not impossible to distinguish them from clear lenses. "Adding AR coating will make Next Generation Transitions even clearer," added Cole. Sunglass Darkness Outdoors With an 85 percent outdoor tint - the industry standard for sunglass dark - Next Generation Transitions, 1.50 are also the darkest photochromic available. Like other Transitions Lenses, Next Generation Transitions provide 100 percent UV protection. They are available in gray and brown. Activate, Fade Back Much Faster Than Transitions III Clarity and darkness mean nothing in the photochromic world without speed, and Next Generation Transitions, 1.50 have that as well. Compared to Transitions III, Next Generation Transitions activate six times faster and fade back three and a half times faster, making them the fastest photochromic lenses available. Transitions Optical, headquartered in Pinellas Park, Fla., was the first to successfully commercialize a plastic photochromic lens in 1990. The company is the leading supplier of photochromics to optical manufacturers worldwide. Transitions Optical offers the most advanced photochromic technology and the widest selection of lens designs, materials and brand names. Transitions Optical has manufacturing operations in Pinellas Park; Tuam, Ireland; Laguna, Philippines; Sumare, Brazil; and Adelaide, Australia. Sales offices are located in Brampton, Canada and nine other countries. For more information on Transitions lenses, visit transitions.com or contact Transitions Optical Customer Service at (800) 848-1506. # # # Percent Light Transmission Graph Caption Next Generation Transitions, 1.50 are the clearest photochromic lenses available with virtually no difference from regular clear lenses. Percent Tint at 72(F/23(C Graph Caption As dark as sunglasses, Next Generation Transitions, 1.50 are the darkest photochromic lenses available. Seconds to 70 Percent Tint at 72(F/23(C Graph Caption Next Generation Transitions, 1.50 have the fastest activation of any photochromic lenses available. Next Generation of Technology - 3 Next Generation of Technology - 1 -more- Transitions Optical, Inc 9251 Belcher Road, Pinellas Park, Florida 33782, 727-545-0400 or 800-533-2081, 727-546-4732 (fax) www.transitions.com -more-

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper NG Poll in the Transitions Forum

I've started a poll in the forum Smart Lens Technology by Transitions Optical to see how many folks have come across Next Generation and what they think.

The poll is annonymous folks so don't be afraid to vote:

It will be neat to see what folks think but it will only work if as many people as possible vote.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    For the New England Harry.

You may find this hard to believe but a good pair of treated glass lenses--WITHOUT SCRATCHES--probably has more impact resistance than CR-39 (= powers, thickness, etc). The problem is surfacing and hardening techniques vary so much that one never really knows when they have a good pair.

Also, CR-39 (or poly) is preferred in a welding environment over glass...think there was a thread on that a couple months ago.

Thread Information