Thread: Latest on At Last lens

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Latest on At Last lens

My docs keep asking about the At last lens. Is it a good for PAL non adapts?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    As I understand it, it's not exactly a progressive, more like a blended.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have used it a couple times but only in EXTREMELY picky circumstances. Told both patients the situation going in, educated them extensively, and they actually liked it. I would not, however, use it as a first option.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a pt. that wants to try it if it's like the old Ultex lens they discontinued some years back, he loved those and I was told by the rep here in N.Texas that it is close, it is a blending of intermediate and near in the segment, its like a progressive type blending with little to no distortion.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    I have a pt. that wants to try it if it's like the old Ultex lens they discontinued some years back, he loved those and I was told by the rep here in N.Texas that it is close, it is a blending of intermediate and near in the segment, its like a progressive type blending with little to no distortion.
    More like a round 28 with about 5mm of the top part within the seg as intermediate. See www.pixeloptics.com.
    Also- did anyone see their Electronic Eyewear at VEE? The product isn't market ready, but I heard they had a working prototype there. Anyone have feedback to share?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Aspex will be distributing their emPower lenses exclusively.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Aspex will be distributing their emPower lenses exclusively.
    Yeah, they needed a frame company since the frame has a power source and some kind of switching capability built in. Is this whole concept (lens power changes due to imbedded LCD's) vapor-ware, or the new Izon, or is it a viable technology?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Sounds like magic to me. We'll have to wait and see.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you think a Pt. that wore the Ultex for years and loved it, and now is in a 7X28 and hates it will like the At last better?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you think a Pt. that wore the Ultex for years and loved it, and now is in a 7X28 and hates it will like the At last better?
    What is their need for the intermediate? A few seconds at a time to identify objects, or hours of mid-range work? The intermediate portion is small, more of a buffer zone than a serious intermediate segment. Their Ultex predated their need for three working distances. Maybe it isn't the 7x28 per se that they don't like; maybe it's the need to deal with more than two zones.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The emPower lens is not at all vaporware. It is off the hook amazing, science fiction in your hand. You swipe the temple and the seg turns on. Just like that.

I've only seen one demo, from an office beginning clinical trials. But it is absolutely real, and (unlike so many things in this business) does exactly what the hype and online demo promise.

It actually looks just like this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Finefocus, Thankyou for your input. The Pt. is retired and just needs it for store shelfs and such, nothing major. Are you saying this might work for him?. I've given him literature on the lens and spoke with him extensively I just didn't know how much intermediate was providied. Thank You very much..

Ginster

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I saw the emPower! lens at Vision Expo; it was very cool. Now you see the seg, now you don't.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Finefocus, Thankyou for your input. The Pt. is retired and just needs it for store shelfs and such, nothing major. Are you saying this might work for him?. I've given him literature on the lens and spoke with him extensively I just didn't know how much intermediate was providied. Thank You very much..

Ginster
    I have a sample lens here; I measure the intermediate at about 4mm, with a small blend zone (nothing like a Younger, much more subtle). I can see about 3 lines of text through the intermediate. For checking one price of one product on a shelf, probably enough. For computing, cards, museums, not enough. Usually, round segs have substantial image jump. This still has more than a flattop, but less than usual due to the intermediate zone. I think it might work for a guy who really wants a bifocal but with occasional trifocal duty. He'll have to learn not to see the blend zone, as PAL wearers have to learn to see only the sweet spot they currently need, not the sweet spot they needed 5 seconds ago.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mark007 View Post
    I require new lenses, but can't have enough money for new frames now and love my current pair. Do the eyeglass places let you hold onto the frames, or do they have some artistic way of scamming you into an expensive new pair of frames?
    I drive a Buick.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    I drive a Buick.
    I fly a kite!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I remember correctly, the Ultex did come in a trifocal version. You might want to look into it?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try a round bifocal or trifocal and forget the At Last... forever!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Try a round bifocal or trifocal and forget the At Last... forever!
    Or, get Three Rivers to make you an 0-seg in a trifocal style.

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I recently fitted a PAL non-adapt dentist w/ the AtLast lens. He was much happier with the AtLast because the peripheral aberrations of a PAL was more than he was able to tolerate. Granted he has known no other lens besides DVO. He did explain that there was a good jump from distance to reading that would be from what I am understanding his intermediate that to him was a blur. However, he really refused to have a visible line on his lenses so he settled for the intermediate distortion. The AtLast lens currently has a place in the market but is definitely not for most patients. A standard trifocal wearer in my opinion would not adjust well to an AtLast although that is my opinion based off of one patient experience. This will be the first pt. that I contact when the electronic bifocals come on the market.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Strab View Post
    I recently fitted a PAL non-adapt dentist w/ the AtLast lens. He was much happier with the AtLast because the peripheral aberrations of a PAL was more than he was able to tolerate. Granted he has known no other lens besides DVO. He did explain that there was a good jump from distance to reading that would be from what I am understanding his intermediate that to him was a blur. However, he really refused to have a visible line on his lenses so he settled for the intermediate distortion. The AtLast lens currently has a place in the market but is definitely not for most patients. A standard trifocal wearer in my opinion would not adjust well to an AtLast although that is my opinion based off of one patient experience. This will be the first pt. that I contact when the electronic bifocals come on the market.
    AtLast does have a visible line. Like all round segs, it's less of a line than a flattop would have, no shelf, but a line nonetheless. The tradeoff on round segs is less line, more image jump.

Thread Information