Thread: Dispensing facial measurements!! Pleasee help!!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Dispensing facial measurements!! Pleasee help!!!

im an optometry student, could someone help me and tell me the effects of getting the following facial measurements INCORRECT;

- Mono P.D
    - Length to Bend
    - Apical Radius
    - Frontal Angle
    - Splay Angle
    - Bridge Projection

please help!!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Does your college send you to the internet to scavenge? Is there not a lecture, or text to which to refer?

Is not the vaunted Mo Jalie a fellow countryman?

Do your homework for you?

Unbecoming of an optometry student, I'd say...

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Does your college send you to the internet to scavenge? Is there not a lecture, or text to which to refer?

Is not the vaunted Mo Jalie a fellow countryman?

Do your homework for you?

Unbecoming of an optometry student, I'd say...
    I would have asked what you thought they would be before we give you the answers.

The good drk is a bit touchy lately though.:)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I am shamed.

1. prism
    2. ear pinching or looseness
    3. ?
    4. power changes
    5. unequal vertex distance
    6. power changes, reduction in field of view

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    1) Unwanted nasal/temporal lens thickness coninciding with image shift proportional to error in meansurments.

2) Unwanted movement of glasses on a going forward basis and/or discomforting localized preasure around the aural projections located temporaly upon patient's head.

3) Bad Karma.

4) Dissolution of optimized visual accuity through corrective monomer membranes causing non-clarity of objects.

5) Movement of inidividual corrective monomers a distance closer/farther from corneal surface. Can also cause results of #4.

6) Same as #4 with additional narrowing of visual accuity with respect to objects not spacially contained in direct frontal respect to the patient.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AM View Post
    im an optometry student, could someone help me and tell me the effects of getting the following facial measurements INCORRECT;

- Mono P.D
    - Length to Bend
    - Apical Radius
    - Frontal Angle
    - Splay Angle
    - Bridge Projection

please help!!
    Drk is making sure that you become a thinker as your profession requires, that seems like the reason for his post. I would agree that if you are to be successful in this profession you should want to find the information on your own, but to each their own I guess. If you feel the need to get the quick fix just press the button.
    [spoiler=Mono PD]If the monocular PD is off, the optics will contain induced horizontal prism. [/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Length to Bend]If the length to bend is off, the temples will either be too short or too long resulting in an improper fit which the patient will experience in frames that slide forward or have too great of a panto.[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Apical Radius]If the apical radius is off, the lens will exhibit aberrations that will result in less than optimal visual acuity especially off axis. In the US we refer to it as a Base Curve and often times the manufacturers will chose the proper base curve according to a chart supplied by the lens manufacturer, in certain circumstance the base curve will be chosen by the optician to ensure that the lens seats properly in the bevel (such as wrap around frames and flat fronts which require flatter profiles to avoid bowing).[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Frontal Angle]If the frontal angle was off, this can induce a spherical, astigmatic, and prismatic power errors.[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Splay Angle]If the splay angle was off, the patient will experience discomfort of the nose pads usually with red sore marks on the nose.[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Bridge Projection]If the bridge projection was off, this can either lead to a frame that looks like it floats off the face or a bridge that sits on the nose. If the bridge is too far forward from the face the lenses an experience power errors in higher powered lenses due to differences between refracted and fitted vertex distances, not to mention the frame may look odd to the patient cosmetically. If the bridge is sitting on the nose the body perspiration can lead to the finish wearing off the frame, and irritations due to mechanical interactions with the nose or allergic reactions with the nose, in either case discomfort is the result with possible power errors.[/spoiler]

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Wfruit would have been an "A" student...could B.S. with the best of them.

Yarhg probably would have flunked out of school because it bored him stiff.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I got this one for you drk...

Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    Drk is making sure that you become a thinker as your profession requires, that seems like the reason for his post. I would agree that if you are to be successful in this profession you should want to find the information on your own, but to each their own I guess. If you feel the need to get the quick fix just press the button.
    [spoiler=Mono PD]If the monocular PD is off, the optics will contain induced horizontal prism. [/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Length to Bend]If the length to bend is off, the temples will either be too short or too long resulting in an improper fit which the patient will experience in frames that slide forward or have too great of a panto.[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Apical Radius]If the apical radius is off, the lens will exhibit aberrations that will result in less than optimal visual acuity especially off axis. In the US we refer to it as a Base Curve and often times the manufacturers will chose the proper base curve according to a chart supplied by the lens manufacturer, in certain circumstance the base curve will be chosen by the optician to ensure that the lens seats properly in the bevel (such as wrap around frames and flat fronts which require flatter profiles to avoid bowing).[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Frontal Angle]If the frontal angle was off, this can induce a spherical, astigmatic, and prismatic power errors.[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Splay Angle]If the splay angle was off, the patient will experience discomfort of the nose pads usually with red sore marks on the nose.[/spoiler]
    [spoiler=Bridge Projection]If the bridge projection was off, this can either lead to a frame that looks like it floats off the face or a bridge that sits on the nose. If the bridge is too far forward from the face the lenses an experience power errors in higher powered lenses due to differences between refracted and fitted vertex distances, not to mention the frame may look odd to the patient cosmetically. If the bridge is sitting on the nose the body perspiration can lead to the finish wearing off the frame, and irritations due to mechanical interactions with the nose or allergic reactions with the nose, in either case discomfort is the result with possible power errors.[/spoiler]
    Great YrahG.:finger:

Now he's spending the night at the local BBC having a couple of pints of Watney's Cream Stout instead of studying like drk had too.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That means Yarhg and that newbie bloke owes us both a Watney's, Festus!
    Last edited by drk; 04-22-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Before Fezz corrects me-- We'll have to make it a Red Barrel as the Cream Stout is out of production.:cheers:

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm just impressed with Yrah's pimpin button creating skills! How he do dat?!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Wfruit would have been an "A" student...could B.S. with the best of them.

Yarhg probably would have flunked out of school because it bored him stiff.
    *sniffs* It's not B.S., it's exactly what you said. I just presented it in a more technincal manner :p.

And "Thank You" to YarhG as I now know what "Apical Radius" is. I don't know if we helped the OP any, but I learned something.
    Last edited by WFruit; 04-22-2010 at 01:54 PM.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Before Fezz corrects me-- We'll have to make it a Red Barrel as the Cream Stout is out of production.:cheers:

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    thanks, ive been researching and cant find anything. could you advise me on incorrect crest height measurements

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.ukoptometry.co.uk/wp-cont...rements-08.pdf

Now what do you think would be the problem?
    The answer may be further in but...

Apical Radius as defined by YrahG is wrong.

Thread Information