Thread: Officemate------->Vision Web--------->Outside lab

Bad address email on file DC Optix's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Officemate------->Vision Web--------->Outside lab

We are currently running Officemate as our practice management software. I understand that it is integrated with Vision Web to transmit orders directly from Officemate to our outside lab. I am curious as to the details of how this works out. How easy is it? Does ALL the info from the Officemate order carry into Vision Web or will we have to manually enter some? Does Vision Web populate the lens database we pull from or does our lab? etc, etc, etc....any info would be much appreciated! Feel free to PM me if necessary.

Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm doing the same thing you're about to do, and it works just fine for me. The patient name, Rx, PD and seg ht will automatically populate, but you have to select the lens style, materials, add-ons, and fill in frame information. So it's not completely idiot-proof. Most of the time, it won't let you order a lens style/material/add-on combination that doesn't exist. Every now and then, my lab will call and say "we can't get that," but not a lot. I've built my lens availability database in "Products" in Officemate from it.

One thing I've been told is don't type anything in the "Special Instructions" box at the bottom. Ironically, if you need to tell the lab "rush job" or whatever, this halts the progress of your order and flags it for someone to manually do whatever you've got in there, and it delays the order by about a day. If you have special instructions, type it in "Treatment Comments," even though it warns against it. This is where I tell the lab warranty information, or what color to tint the lenses, etc.

I really like how it works, but I'm pretty malleable when it comes to trying different software. If I didn't like something about it, I'd say so here. Really the only thing I'd do to make it better is program it to carry over your frame and and lens information, not just the Rx and measurements. Hope this helps!
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hi DC,

It looks like Striderswife answered most of your questions! One big plus to VisionWeb's integration with OfficeMate is that you don't have to worry about maintaining the lens catalogs because you are able to see the same information that you would see if you were ordering on VisionWeb.com directly. So the information is always up-to-date with your lab's information when you order. We hope to be able to offer a solution that carries more of the information over in the future, but as Striderswife said, only the patient name, Rx, PD, and Seg Height automatically populate at this time. You can also track your order status through your system which adds to the convenience factor. I'm glad to see the note about the use of "Special Instructions" as this is something that comes up often. We advise to only enter information in the Special Instructions field when you want someone to manually review the order at your lab.

I also want to note that VisionWeb's insurance processing service is compatible with OfficeMate for claim uploading. It's literally as easy as uploading the claim file created in OfficeMate and then sending it to your payers. It saves a great deal of time because there isn't a need for duplicate data entry. I'll be happy to provide you with information for our insurance team if that is something you might need!

Best,

VisionWeb

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just Fax It! :)

Quote Originally Posted by DC Optix View Post
    We are currently running Officemate as our practice management software. I understand that it is integrated with Vision Web to transmit orders directly from Officemate to our outside lab. I am curious as to the details of how this works out. How easy is it? Does ALL the info from the Officemate order carry into Vision Web or will we have to manually enter some? Does Vision Web populate the lens database we pull from or does our lab? etc, etc, etc....any info would be much appreciated! Feel free to PM me if necessary.

Thanks!
    I have found it so easy to just do Allof my orders and print them out... Fax them to the labs at end or after I am done, Place the job sheet back in the tray and call it a day... We use Nassau Lens Florida and they are perrty good about turnover time so I dont have to worry about checking on Jobs.. (As you still have to do with Vision Web, because the person at the lab may not have scanned the job through its progress) My suggestion would be to Print and Fax it... It saves time and creates less mistakes with re-entering frame lens data...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My lab is very pro-Vision web and is picking up it's costs because they spend 3 hours every morning calling offices asking for forgotten PDs, and stating the X lens doesn't come in Transitions etc.

We are doing the class to integrate next month.

Harry

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Agreed!

While I can't stand the new version of OfficeMate, I will enthusiastically chime in to say that the VisionWeb interface is excellent. A couple things that haven't been mentioned:

1) In the new OM, the PD and seg height fields occasionally fail to populate into VW from OM. It's quite inconsistent and very odd.

2) The lens availability info in VW is set by the individual labs, so it can also be inconsistent.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation

Thanks!
    i semi automatic. It can be started only with your permission.

Vision

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation

Thanks!
    And with Vision the other one can see everything you see and more, to surf in your computer. But fr this you have to allow him first. So, in the end it depends on you.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by VisionWeb View Post
    Hi DC,

It looks like Striderswife answered most of your questions! One big plus to VisionWeb's integration with OfficeMate is that you don't have to worry about maintaining the lens catalogs because you are able to see the same information that you would see if you were ordering on VisionWeb.com directly. So the information is always up-to-date with your lab's information when you order. We hope to be able to offer a solution that carries more of the information over in the future, but as Striderswife said, only the patient name, Rx, PD, and Seg Height automatically populate at this time. You can also track your order status through your system which adds to the convenience factor. I'm glad to see the note about the use of "Special Instructions" as this is something that comes up often. We advise to only enter information in the Special Instructions field when you want someone to manually review the order at your lab.

I also want to note that VisionWeb's insurance processing service is compatible with OfficeMate for claim uploading. It's literally as easy as uploading the claim file created in OfficeMate and then sending it to your payers. It saves a great deal of time because there isn't a need for duplicate data entry. I'll be happy to provide you with information for our insurance team if that is something you might need!

Best,

VisionWeb

Thanks, great tip. Really useful. Waiting for more.

Thread Information