Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What sunglasses and sport frames sell the best?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    bob
    Not going to attack, just would like to know.

On your Rx section, you seem to have the patient merely fill out a form.

How is that an Rx? A prescription is a written instruction from a doctor.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    [QUOTE=Johns;342050]With all due respect, if you invest tens of thousands of dollars into stocking sunwear, and it doesn't sell, I don't think that "did not do the selling" is always the reason for failure. Demographics, location, climate, and other factors all play in to the mix.

You are correct...I agree. Climate and economy, etc., certainly play a role. A big role. A smarter way I could have said this is, "If you have a Sunglass Hut down the way, and they're doing well, then there is a suns market going on around you." If LUX has avoided your area, well...their analysts aren't stupid!

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    bob

No "attack" or offense taken...it's a tough question for the company, too, and a dialogue is welcomed. Emerging brands/companies face a dilemma. How to sell and grow, without much distribution yet in place? If a company is fortunate enough to generate some demand, much of that demand will pop up in zip codes with no bricks & mortar outlets. On the other hand, selling online understandably aggravates what B&M distribution is already established. It's especially sensitive as those "early adopter" retailers understandably feel quite "violated" by the online alternative offered. The management at 7eye threads the needle by crafting its policies sort of "down the middle." Online, the Rx offering is rather basic. For example, no progressives (just flat tops), which are obviously a big chunk of the demand -- the biggest, in fact. Those Rx's can ONLY come from ECP's...via brick & mortar. The idea is to build the B&M distribution, refer as much business that way as possible (via the dealer locator and the CSR's on the phone). The next step is to develop a line of products that will ONLY be sold through ECP's....stand by. All this is hardly perfect, but each step is an attempt to make a better relationship with the ECP retailer.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    bob

Now I see I didn't actually answer your question. The form is not the Rx. The Rx, current, and from an OD or MD, must accompany the order form. On the 7eye end, the Rx is performed by a licensed ECP. I think that was what you were asking...sorry....bh

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=bob66hall;342054]
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    " If LUX has avoided your area, well...their analysts aren't stupid!
    There was a SH in one of the outlet strips about 70 miles from here, but it closed about 3 years ago.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by bob66hall View Post
    How to sell and grow, without much distribution yet in place? If a company is fortunate enough to generate some demand, much of that demand will pop up in zip codes with no bricks & mortar outlets. On the other hand, selling online understandably aggravates what B&M distribution is already established.
    In the past, newcomers (manufacturers/distributors) to the industry have approached ECPs with the lure of "these aren't available anywhere but through ECPs." Most notably, Maui Jim, Varilux, and Cooper Vision. Setting aside internet sales, all of these companies built their brand by having the ECP educate the consumer on the value of their products.

Unfortunately, after the education was completed, the products were made available through big-box and other discount outlets. The ECP may not be a viable distribution chanel for many manufactures, but with out the ECP "stamp of approval", they are just another frame on the shelf. With the exception of Oakley and $29 suns, I can't think of one sun brand that wasn't built on the recommendations of ECPs.

This is why I believe in the private label model for suns. Make it, market it, own it, sell it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A friend of mine showed me his new Black Fly sunglasses. They were pretty cool. I looked at the collection on the website and asked the owners if any were rx-able and found that about 90% are. They're not expensive and there don't seem to be very many retail outlets carrying them. Might be worth a look.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    A friend of mine showed me his new Black Fly sunglasses. They were pretty cool. I looked at the collection on the website and asked the owners if any were rx-able and found that about 90% are. They're not expensive and there don't seem to be very many retail outlets carrying them. Might be worth a look.
    Am not sure how an ECP presents any sunwear brand that does not have a good lens story. While it's easy to lapse into the "Rx" discussion, the fat part of the market being missed by most ECP's is the pure plano market. I know it's competitive, and with its own learning curve, but it's a market that is dominated by ECP's in Europe and Japan, for example. It can be done!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I was just talking about a line that I saw a friend wearing. It had a very specific "look" and I was curious about it's rx-ability. Don't read too much into it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 2020idock View Post
    I agree with you on the sport specific side, I don't get much action there. How does the Smith line do in the office with Costa and Kaenon? Smith also has prescription available on their website if I am not mistaken, do you use their lab for Rx? Quality? Retail Price point in comparison with Costa and Kaenon?
    I seem to be doing more plano with the Smiths. More of the teen and surf population types. Prices seem in line with costa. Kaenon being the more expensive, but better lenses.
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Bob, if you take the pains to assure a valid Rx, I applaud you.

Nonetheless, do you hold up the job for receipt of the Rx? I would think that would slow down the operation quite a bit.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I just looked into Kaenon and the buy-in is outrageous!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaOD View Post
    I just looked into Kaenon and the buy-in is outrageous!
    Really? I could've sworn I bought in with 12 pieces. But that was a few years ago. What are they asking now?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maui Jim, Rudy and Ray Ban plus misc others and "designer" for the "ladies"...LOVE Rudy..carry 5 styles only and do RX in the Rydon probably every 2 weeks or so..my customers love the product as do I

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    These were some interesting posts and great information. I love WileyX and they are doing a bang up job promoting the brand, Costa is great as well and love their comittment to the environment. For those who aren't stocking sports performance eyewear, it is a huge business and going to get bigger, you don't have to carry the same products that are in Cost Co and Bass, Cabela.
    Plenty of choices available, some sell online and some do not. You can view options here: http://opticalvisionresources.com/eyewear-performance, which lists about 80% of the sports performance.
    I think SwitchVision has product that will appeal to the sportsperson, Parasite eyewear is the next Oakley, Electric Visual is hot in surfing and water sports, POC sports was on many Olympic contenders, Sutro Vision (by an OD) has a different type of sports hinge, look beyond the 'norm' and try something new.
    Many of the sports performance companies are supporting and giving back- offer instead a selection of companies that 'give back or made with recycled materials. Just a thought.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticalcathy View Post
    These were some interesting posts and great information.... Parasite eyewear is the next Oakley...
    I tried on some Parasite in VEENY and they were awesome! super light, very durable and the designs are just incredible. double temple for the rock climbers/bikers? Sold!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did anyone else notice that the biggest sellers of sunwear are in sunny places? All of the Southern and coastal areas seem to be the hot spots of the "name" sunglasses. Thanks to all the response

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jmchapman View Post
    Really? I could've sworn I bought in with 12 pieces. But that was a few years ago. What are they asking now?
    I just met with the rep last week, buy in was 12... maybe the rep is squeezing you, or he was talking about the buy in for the large display?

or he is a scum bag?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    They told me 36! That was on the phone, maybe a rep would be better.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    is good that you understand what type of the sunglass is highly demand at your practice. for sport purpose? for fashion?
    Yeap

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Kaenon, if you want the best.

Thread Information