Thread: Optiboard Euthanasia Debate - Let's kill Granny!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile Optiboard Euthanasia Debate - Let's kill Granny!

OK, following on from the last debate, there are two types of euthanasia.

The first is when someone is on a life support machine, with no independent means of survival. Is it wrong to pull the plug? Are you legally killing them? Or are they artificially alive in the first place?

The second is when a sick relative asks you to help in an assisted suicide. If it's their wish, is it wrong? Can their judgement be trusted?

And, for the religious among you, do you think you would have to repent before God in either scenario? Or would the circumstances absolve you?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jesus, you godless hussy, you got more ways to stir people up than I do! Keep up the good work.

I once concidered making myself a physicians I.D. badge for our local medical shool and putting in the department space "Euthanaisia" just to see how log it would take someone to notice.

Chip

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Exclamation Oh boy Marias at it again..

Well on 1 if you cant live without a machine doing it for you, you are dead. So how can you kill something that is already dead.
    2, If they are asking you in the first place then there ain't much wrong with their judgement is there..........unless you are going to say NO....

Bad address email on file

Big Smile

Trying to get people stirred up agian. Good work!:D
    If someone is on life support in a vegetative state and has no chance of supporting life on thier own in the future than I don't believe that pulling the plug is killing them. They are only artificially alive as it is. If they are aware of thier state and can make decisions then they are alive and pulling the plug is murder. As far as helping Aunt Sally to stuff the gas pipe up her nose that wouldn't be for me. I'm not against someone deciding thier fate but I would not be able to assist them in clear conscience. As far as Dr. Jack Karvorkian, I have no problem with him assisting in sucides but there should be more safe guards to prevent people with mental disabilities from seeking assisted killings. If assisted suicide was legal it would be easier to regulate and prevent mistakes in either the phyical or mental health of the person choosing to end thier life. I have heard of some people who choose that option who weren't really all that sick. I don't think I would use assisted sucide myself but I feel that it should be legal for those that are terminally ill and are suffering pain to choose thier own end.
    Tom:hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maria goes where no woman has gone before!!!

Having been a mortician in the past, this is a subject that raises tons of issues.

A person in a vegetative state, i.e. no brain waves(brain dead), will probably not be able to be revived to a concious state so to me it would be wise to pull the plug. This just happened here in Kansas City where a 7 year old was beaten by her mother's boyfriend. The child passed away yesterday after being in the hospital for about 12 hours. Beaten to the point of being brain dead.

As for a family member in the same state, I would probably pull the plug. My love for my family member in life would be just as strong in their death. There has to be a time to let go and continue with your life.

Love is one issue. The cost of keeping that person on life support
    is another. Is it warranted to drain your life's savings to keep this person on life support, even though there is no chance for this person to survive if the plug is pulled?

As for assisted suicide, the argument would be is the person requesting the action :
    1)mentally stable
    2)terminally ill
    3)mentally unstable
    4)just trying to fulfil a death wish without any of the above.

To me, being mentally stable and terminally ill would be excellent reasons for a person to determine whether they should or should not die. Dr. Kevorkian found the ways and means for these people to die with dignity. Needless to say, the families of the deceased were not pleased with the decisions made by their now deceased family members. It was not their decision to make because they were not terminally ill.

I would definitely be against assisted suicide for reasons 3 and 4.

Bob V.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's dignified about carbon monoxide poisoning? Does one need an M.D. trained in giveing life to take it? What was wrong with the old Roman custom of falling on one's sword? At least there the hand of another was not soiled. Of course the Roman's fell on thier own sword to keep from admitting that another could defeat or destroy them.

Dr. Jack was a very strange man who persued this unholy quest to the point that on occasion the patient's terminally ill state was not or was falsely determined.

I can understand mercy killing and would do this if needed. But I would not employ anyone else to do my killing for me especially an M.D. specializing in death.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Also depends on...

How much and to whom the Fortune is being left to.
    Another Name of Life is Hope. Hope dreams and invite Miracles.
    Saying you are no longer alive or you are a VEG Life, because some machine supports you, seems too myopic. Now a days everybody of us is supported, directly or indirectly by machines right since conception.
    May be a century ago, people might have formed an euthenesia
    cell because of Chiken Pox or Maleria or Lepracy.

Present day technology, it's Economics, the Nature of Judge ( Self or Somebody other than who is going to die) all count.

The other side : We reamin " Non- Veg Lives" as we just keep on setting and achiving monitory goals, strive for self development and give no time and considerations for family and people who are unfortunate and so more needy than ourselves, and of course, every human being on this Planet.
    There are altogether different criterion to call ourselves
    "Human Lives " , which are needed to be identified and followed in day to day life, hour to hour , minute to minute, second to second, breath to breath.

:cheers:

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course if you had been paying attention to G. Gordon Liddy you would know that Euthanasia is legal in some parts of the Netherlands. The problem is that it is gradually being expanded there to the point where some of those deemed of no further use to society are euthanized. Soon some committe will deside who has enough brain or physical power to be usefull. Those with lesser capabilities will be eliminated. The may also tie in with England's cameras. Perhaps Mr. Orwell was right.

Chip

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what i know before such a tragic event takes place you can sign a DNR agreement(Do Not Resuscitate).As i'm sure these laws very from state to state there are some that will let you pre-arrange what is done in the event that you cannot make the decision for yourself.

Thread Information