Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eco friendly frames.... what do you think of them?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Eco friendly frames.... what do you think of them?

What's your impressions in terms of marketablity and patient interest in the "eco" inspired frames that have been released lately, ie several of the models in Jhane Barnes, the Eco line from Modo, etc. etc.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Marketing......................only

What is eco friendly in eyeglass frames.........checked and found the following:

Expect to find a variety of LUX ECO eyewear options for both women and men. The collection ranges in options from mod, to classic aviators, trend items, to the much-loved Jackie O silhouette! PLUS, with every pair you purchase, MODO will donate one new tree to ‘Trees for the Future,’ a non-profit organization that has been helping communities around the world to plant trees for the last 20 years!!

So there is no difference between a non eco friendly frame and one that is, it is only the marketing idea.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I'm with Chris on this one, I think it's marketing. See if they have a comparable line and see if the "ECO" line is more expensive because it's "ECO".
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have about a million maple seed on the ground from one of my trees. Maybe I should offer one seed to each patient that buys a frame. Then all my frames will be eco-friendly!:shiner:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Some of them are being made from recycled material and others from renewable materials.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    What are you talking about ???????................the frames or the seeds ?????????????

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    okay, let's have a discussion and get the facts out before jumping to conclusions and getting negative.

What I would like to know, for information, is what makes these frames more eco friendly than other frames?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    What are you talking about ???????................the frames or the seeds ?????????????
    The frames!!

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    seems the eco friendly is the band wagon to jump on- had a phone call from e yesterday telling me about the eco friendly airware transitions lenses. I would like to know if they really are doing things that are more environmentally friendly or just trying a different marketing tactic. Anyone know where we could find out the truth of the matter?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Judging from the response so far, I guess nobody has offered these frames to patients yet? This is the line I was thinking about when I started the thread.
    http://www.eco-optics.com/
    http://www.2020mag.com/Products/View...5/Default.aspx

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a small selection (18) of the Eco line from Modo. The metals and plastics are both made of 95% recycled material. The shipping box and case are eviro friendly as well. They are actually very low priced, similiar to what Clearvision would charge for their core line. While not a hot seller, it does hold its own.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    So clearly, it is not what was said previously in this thread as a gimmick to charge more?

To me, recycled materials is very minimal though. What I would like to see is a more environmentally clean process. Not only on the C02 level, but in the chemical use as well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    honestly I've never had anyone come into the office saying, hey do you have any frames that are eco-friendly? I don't think the consumer cares to be quite honest.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am not familiar with how they are produced. I agree with your point.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am one of the most environmentally friendly people you'll ever meet. Last year, for earth day, I cut down more than an acre of forest, (maybe 70 trees), to make way for millions, maybe even billions of blades of grass.

All of our frames are "green". The more we sell, the more green we take in.

Another thing we do, although I have to question the success of this program, is we offer carbon credits to our customers that buy our frames.
    Last edited by Johns; 04-15-2010 at 03:22 PM.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Contact Richard Berliner at B Wear (801) 618-5993. He is the distributor for Linkskin (www.linkskin.com) frames made out of recycled and recyclable materials.
    US distributor for Copenhagen Eyes handmade titanium frames http://www.sceye.se/copenhageneyes/index.html

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Eco Friendly Eyewear. First the consumer is asking for more eco friendly options as they become more aware of the benefits of reusing materials, landfills and wanting to support those that support the environment. Linkskin was the first to come out with 'green eyewear' but others are definitely driving the business. In celebration of Earth Month, We have been doing a whole series of Eco Friendly Eyewear and Companies that Give Back, reclaim materials, use recycled plastics, promote recycling and Optical Vendors that are Switching to renewable energy. They are doing this not only for overall cost savings but because the consumer is asking for it. It is not just about Eco Friendly Eyewear, it about corporate responsiblity, cause related marketing and the latest studies are 77% of people will buy from those who give back, despite the cost.
    If you would like to read about Eco Friendly Optical visit the link: http://opticalvisionresources.com/tag/eco, which will give you the Month to date eyewear and eco posts. We have about 10 more to add and will a cumulative post on Earth Day (April 22nd) For the record, coming up in the month of April - Ducks Unlimited Eyewear (McGee), Zoom eyeworks, ICU Eyewear, Nau, Timberland Earthkeepers, Ralph Vaessen handmade buffalo horn eyewear, Warby Parker, giving back, ic!berlin giving back, Eyes of Faith giving back, Nanofilm Eco friendly eyeglass cleaner, Clear Conscious, Vegan Contact Lens Solutions, Fashion Optical Displays, renewable bamboo optical decor and of course health and well being, Biosyntrx eye vitamins.
    On The Optical Vision Site- In celebration of Earth month- we have been doing a series of articles on Green and Save, how to promote Eco Friendly in the eyecare office, what various eyecare professionals are doing, how to save money, ways to market and ways to recycle. Check out the links http://theopticalvisionsite.com/cate...g-your-office/ and http://theopticalvisionsite.com/cate...reen-and-save/
    This is a huge trend and you can Make Green and Save Green by offering eco friendly options.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Didn't Silhouette Austria get recognized by the Austrian govt. about 15 to 20 years ago for environmental changes in their factory? If I remember correctly they launched a special collection at that time? The EARTH Collection.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticalcathy View Post
    For the record, coming up in the month of April - Ducks Unlimited Eyewear (McGee), Zoom eyeworks, ICU Eyewear, Nau, Timberland Earthkeepers, Ralph Vaessen handmade buffalo horn eyewear, Warby Parker, giving back, ic!berlin giving back, Eyes of Faith giving back, Nanofilm Eco friendly eyeglass cleaner, Clear Conscious, Vegan Contact Lens Solutions, Fashion Optical Displays, renewable bamboo optical decor and of course health and well being, Biosyntrx eye vitamins.
    20 years ago, L'Amy came out with a program that donated a certain percentage of their sales to the World Wildlife Federation. The rep explained that you had to buy into the collection, and a percentage would go towards this fund that the owners decided to support. I was just starting out in business, and helping a Panda bear in some forest (supposedly) had no bearing on my business whatsoever. I decided that I would rather choose my own charity, rather than have someone choose it for me.

I have no problem with a company supporting any charity they want, with their profits, but when they announce with great fanfare, all the good they are doing for _________________, and then do it on the backs of their customers, then I want no part of it. A good example is the WalMart Toys for Tots collections. They have customers buy toys (they profit), put them into a big bin, and then WM "donates" the toys to the Marines, writing off the donation. In some cases they've even found that store managers were taking the toys and restocking them!

If you want to save the neighborhood, save the country, or save the world...fine. Do it and move on. Most of these companies spend as much, if not more resources telling everyone how __________________, they are than they do on the actual act. Most of it is self serving, righteous grandstanding.

Thank God we have people like Al Gore that fly all over the world in their private jets, telling all of us how they are saving the worlds and that everyone (except them) should conserve resources.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I agree that it just a purely marketing strategy. when all those printed sales material and advertising given and you think it is eco-friendly?
    Yeap

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    There's a new line being released called 'Tree Huggers' by a vendor called Green Peace.

Seriously, I'm all for preserving the environment and recycling, but come on...do we really believe that this is something more than a marketing strategy catering to those 'environmentalist' consumers? I would be extremely surprised if one cent was going back to support the planting of trees and 'E' support programs.
    Last edited by eyemanflying; 04-19-2010 at 04:43 AM.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    It isn't a major selling point but the eco-friendliness of my titanium frames is very good. Titanium is a reasonably plentiful element and it is mixed with aluminum (a very plentiful element) to make beta titanium. Processing is done in Sweden where nearly all power is either hydro or nuclear (thus a low carbon footprint) and coloring is an anodization process that doesn't use paints or dyes (no VOCs in the atmosphere). The most important aspect is that the frames are very resilient and will last a long time thus all of the energy used in the production process isn't wasted because the frames are treated like a disposable item.
    US distributor for Copenhagen Eyes handmade titanium frames http://www.sceye.se/copenhageneyes/index.html

OptiBoard Apprentice Nikki McGee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbanting69 View Post
    We have a small selection (18) of the Eco line from Modo. The metals and plastics are both made of 95% recycled material. The shipping box and case are eviro friendly as well. They are actually very low priced, similiar to what Clearvision would charge for their core line. While not a hot seller, it does hold its own.
    We brought these in in the last month. They are moving well becuase of the price point, and the fact that they are nice looking/feeling frames. I've only had one person bent on finding one that worked for them due to them being "green". You get a cute cardboard box case you can then use to send in your old eyewear for donation. My understanding is that planting the trees is supposed to help reduce the footprint of the manufacturing facilities.
    ABOC

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    20 years ago, L'Amy came out with a program that donated a certain percentage of their sales to the World Wildlife Federation. The rep explained that you had to buy into the collection, and a percentage would go towards this fund that the owners decided to support. I was just starting out in business, and helping a Panda bear in some forest (supposedly) had no bearing on my business whatsoever. I decided that I would rather choose my own charity, rather than have someone choose it for me.

I have no problem with a company supporting any charity they want, with their profits, but when they announce with great fanfare, all the good they are doing for _________________, and then do it on the backs of their customers, then I want no part of it. A good example is the WalMart Toys for Tots collections. They have customers buy toys (they profit), put them into a big bin, and then WM "donates" the toys to the Marines, writing off the donation. In some cases they've even found that store managers were taking the toys and restocking them!

If you want to save the neighborhood, save the country, or save the world...fine. Do it and move on. Most of these companies spend as much, if not more resources telling everyone how __________________, they are than they do on the actual act. Most of it is self serving, righteous grandstanding.

Thank God we have people like Al Gore that fly all over the world in their private jets, telling all of us how they are saving the worlds and that everyone (except them) should conserve resources.

http://greenanswers.com/q/300/educat...-private-plane
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A private jet, a corportate jet, a commercial jet...

I don't think there's a relation between ownership and how much "harm" it does to the environment.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion...re-green_x.htm

Thread Information