Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: twitter or facebook?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

twitter or facebook?

so how many of you optiboarders use twitter or facebook?

If you want to be a friend of mine on facebook you can go here www.facebook.com/jmraychapman

or if you have twitter you can go to www.twitter.com/jmchapman

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am on it!

I need all of the friends that I can get!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well then become a friend of mine brother!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My wife spends about $500 a year on bird seed.

Does that count for anything?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ok, I'm the oddball here because I don't quite get it. I don't use My Face, Spacebook, Tweedle dumb or any of those "social networking" sites. What exactly is the point? Having a boat load of "friends" know every move you do every minute of every day? "Tweet, Tweet, I'll call you when I get there Tweet." :hammer:

Go to the beach and enjoy the water, find a park bench and watch squirrels fall out of trees, anything, but get out of the house sometime before it all passes you by.

Can someone please give me some very good reason these places exist, and why you feel compelled to use them?

JMHO

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The absolute bane of my professional life is the phone; I've never started and finished any project without interruption. If I'm partway through an explanation of a lens or a coating, the phone will ring. If I've finally gotten the tip of the screw to bite in the spring hinge, the phone will ring (the patient will just have to speak with me personally) or someone will walk in, saying "Good, you're not busy". Most of these calls are "Are you in today?", "What time do you leave?", "May I come in for an adjustment?" Idle chatter instead of a conversation on an interesting subject. A day of non-accessibility is heaven! No one knows where you are! No one can reach you! No one can command your attention unless you wish it! Why would anyone be willing to tie another chain to their ankle?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter varmint's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well OBX did you ever stop to think that you might just be odd???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I joined so I could share info with family who are spread all over the country and over the last year over 100 of my high school classmates have joined in and we now communicate, joke , and have planned a huge weekend reunion. So it's kinda a way to keep in touch without sending everyone separate emails and it makes it easy to keep closer with distant family.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Twitter never, I don't get it. Facebook, yes. I was dragged screaming and kicking into the virtual world by real life friends. The thing is we get to share pictures easier and connect with distant family and old friends. It's fun, I suppose I am a frustrated writer by nature or perhaps a "sit down" comedian if you will, but I find that I actually enjoy social networking sites. I have made some "real" friends out of my virtual friends over the years I have been doing this. Tell me that if any of us "regulars" here on Optiboard met in real time we wouldn't feel connected somehow and greet each other like we...well know each other.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea what coco said...and not everyone can be on Optiboard can they? I've met several members here when I've traveled to their neighborhood, huh OBX.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by varmint View Post
    Well OBX did you ever stop to think that you might just be odd???
    Me?? Hmmm...., no, not really. I thought it was just you guys.:p As for the other 900+ of my high school class, I'm in the book. No, not that book, the phone book, where you actually have to know the alphabet to find the person, should have payed better attention in school. When they get the number, it rings on that thing on my wall in the kitchen, it's called a "land line". Not on my Ithis, Ithat, crackberry or my computer. Then we can talk, if that's what they want.

Just how connected do we need to be? I could care less that you people find this "necessary" in some way, just saying I don't. Just MY opinion.:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just returned from a school board meeting (private school) where I suggested to the 9 other board members that the classes take a "No Facebook" pledge, and agree to not be a part of it. Most of the parents were in complete agreement. The others were busy texting each other, and missed the conversation.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now OBX I know I'm odd. I don't think it's necessary, but it's made it easier to keep in touch with family & friends I care about where we never bothered to find the time before we had this available.
    And for the phone, since I'm now involved in contracting the cell phone is a necessary tool to manage the jobs and even thou I hate texting it sometimes works better in avoiding confusion especially in AZ where a lot of workers don't always communicate in my language well.
    I also have the courtesy to turn mine off and not use it when in meetings, appointments, or at dinner and other inappropriate times.

As far as schools I don't think it's too good an idea since the kids don't get enough parental supervision and there are undesirable things lurking for the unsuspecting. I've had to speak more than once to my granddaughter for posting innocent but inappropriate comments.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm definitely NOT a phone person I hate talking on the phone, so I'd much rather hop on facebook and give them a quick little message on their wall. Life everyone said it's a great way to connect to old high school friends. And I think everyone missed the point of twitter, when it was introduced it was considered micro-blogging. Meaning you don't have to state what you are doing every hour of the day. You post whatever you want, whether it be a quote, or cool place to eat, or thoughts on a movie, it's your own tiny blog.

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Facebook, yes. Twitter, no. I use facebook in place of e-mail for friends and family, freeing up my e-mail for buisness for official stuff only. Makes it simple to "see" my friends evey day and to say hello.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Neither.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    never seen a facebook or a twitter. can't say i feel the need.

Banned
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I like twitter, twitter better, facebook is stupid, must retire.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The way I see it is FB is a social networking site and Twitter is more like a newsfeed. Though I do have a few friends on FB that "tweet" ie: "Im going to bed now" Ok so go, why do you feel the need to tell us in small blurbs everything that you do?

OptiBoard Apprentice silver_chick_83's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a facebooker. I am not really an avid user. I don't care to keep in touch with many people. I try and keep out as much of my family as possible. They really never cared about me anyways so why start now. And old school mates can just keep to themselves for all I care. Didn't have a great time in high school. I really like to try and keep in touch with people I used to work with. And it's really interesting to see the stupid things that people write.

Jenni O.
    "Life's Tough... It's Even Tougher When You're Stupid!" - John Wayne
    :D Smile, it makes people wonder what you are up to. :D

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Me?? Hmmm...., no, not really. I thought it was just you guys.:p As for the other 900+ of my high school class, I'm in the book. No, not that book, the phone book, where you actually have to know the alphabet to find the person, should have payed better attention in school. When they get the number, it rings on that thing on my wall in the kitchen, it's called a "land line". Not on my Ithis, Ithat, crackberry or my computer. Then we can talk, if that's what they want.

Just how connected do we need to be? I could care less that you people find this "necessary" in some way, just saying I don't. Just MY opinion.:cheers:
    I've heard you can dry poop and use it like a writing utencil so that way you don't have to use that new technology called P-E-N-C-I-L-S. Your patients shouldn't mind the aroma when writing up their orders. :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    I've heard you can dry poop and use it like a writing utencil so that way you don't have to use that new technology called P-E-N-C-I-L-S. Your patients shouldn't mind the aroma when writing up their orders. :D

What makes you think he doesn't write with poop? I've seen plenty of cr@p he's written! :bbg:

Love ya obx! :bbg::cheers::cheers::shiner::cheers::bbg:

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    What makes you think he doesn't write with poop? I've seen plenty of cr@p he's written! :bbg:
    LOL, Awesome. I only kid I like reading his posts always very informative and real deal, or no BS (pun intended, I don't care if anyone else doesn't laugh that one was funny).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm sure you Facebookers are aware of and being careful of the Koobface worm/virus/botnetter?
    http://www.symantec.com/security_res...080315-0217-99
    I spent a lot of this weekend trying to rid a friend's laptop of that sucker. Got rid of it, but the OS had gotten slowed mightily, so, Clean Install time!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lot's of viruses on FB but especially if you have one of those silly farms. I did get one just perusing someone's photos a few months ago and yes had to do the clean install. What a pain.

Thread Information