Thread: Big Brother is Watching London

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Brother is Watching London

I was watching a show last night that said an individual visiting the city of London would be video taped an average of 300 times in one day. How do folks living in London or visiting there feel about having all of those cameras on them?

I thought it was interesting that the police even had cameras aimed at roads entering the city that go beyond being just watchful eyes. They tape vehicles license plates and drivers' faces; the license plates are then run through the police computer system. If there is something amiss, the computer sends out a warning to the Officers monitoring the cameras and cars are immediately dispatched to apprehend the driver of the vehicle.

Apparently, the cameras are supposed to have dramatically cut back on crime in the city. Was there really that much crime in London before the cameras were in place?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We shall meet in the place of no darkness!

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up No

Its not only London just about all major cities have cctv, and quite a lot of towns too, in fact we even have them in our little town.
    The only folks who care are the civil liberties lot, who try to argue about them, but most folks are very happy with them if they cut down on crime.

I think they watch the cars in london to thawt any of the irish bommers etc more than catch the poor old guy who aint got a tax disc.....

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The City of New Haven, here in Connecticut, talked about putting them in. I think they decided on a happy medium. There are some cameras located at intersections that are either known for being dangerous, people run red lights, or are known drug corners. People voted down putting cameras all over the place out of concern that a not so ethical person monitoring the cameras might attempt to blackmail people with what they caught on film. Translated, politicans didn't want to get caught kissing their mistresses goodnight.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thumbs up to spy or not to spy that is the question

as john said most uk towns and cities have cctv monitoring the likely trouble spots. just like most stores you walk into watch you on camera all the time you are in the shop.
    it helps to keep down the crime and i guess if you are doing nothing wrong what have you got to fear.
    http://www.optispares.btinternet.co.uk

jack

It is by universal misunderstanding that all agree. For if, by ill luck, people understood each other, they would never agree.

Occupation
    Originally posted by Jo
    Translated, politicans didn't want to get caught kissing their mistresses goodnight.
    Jo, You hit the nail on the head the only people who dont want them are them who know they are doing wrong....

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The Irish bommers, John I would appreciate if you rephrased that.
    This stuff really really gets to me.when I first said that I was from Ireland, I was told to stop shoooting and bombing each other. I am from the Irish Republic and extremely proud of it. I know we can be a crazy with the drink but sure what harm, it is in our nature. Thhe Republic has been voted one of the safest places in the world for a mother to raise her baby. We have remained neutral through two world wars. Our Guardaí dont have to be armed with firearms. I recently spoke with a veteren Guarda Seargant and he said that in his career, he worked in our largest city and in drugs squad yet only had to draw his baton once.

The IRA are a group of violent Men and women. But their attacks have been orchestrated in the Northern Ireland, Which is part of Britain. Their attacks, such as those in Omagh and Manchester, Made international headlines. I hate the Ira but what most people dont hear of are groups such as the UVF, the UDF,LVF etc.
    These groups kill many more innocent Catholic Civilians than the Ira in paramilitery style shootings in the north.

such loss of life provokes ira anger and ocasionally this spills over the top and they commit such dreadful acts such as Omagh and Manchester.

I still think back about past events such as Bloody Sunday 1 and 2 where British Soldiers Murderd Civilians.
    My head is exploding I'd better stop.

Rudy Guilliani{sp} Recently visited london. The crime rate in london is higher than that of New York. They began to realise that cctv was not quick enoughso put out police on the streets.

Occupation

Crier Opps foot in mouth again....

Ian sorry, . Maybe i should have used the word "terrioists".

On a personal note if i call anyone irish its because they come from ireland either north or south..its all the same to me.

Why oh why cant they let the past lay in peace....

cctv has its place in detering crime but its no substute for a bobby on the beat....Also a lot of the cameras are decoys, they have nothing in them..:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, we get filmed a lot, but we're used to it. There was a high profile abduction/murder case here a while back, the James Bulger case, where the suspects were caught because of CCTV. Since that, I doubt CCTV will ever go away. But like John says, if it bothers you, what have you got to hide? (Except bad hair days?)

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Alright John. I tend to get a bit heated now and again when it comes to politics and what not.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If there is hope, it lies in the proles.

Immanuel Goldstein

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry to say it kids, but...

If I needed to get information on anyone in London or anywhere that had these cameras it would be so easy it's not even funny. If they were to incorporate those over here on a large scale it would be so badly abused it wouldn't even be funny. CCTV is easily accesible with a portable remote unit. You simply tap the signal and tah dah! you to can watch everone and even record them to blackmail them later.

To all those that live where these already exist, I will guarantee there are people already tapping the signal illegally to keep tabs on whomever for whatever reason. Maybe even you. AND there are people that are using these cameras and their signals as voyers. Cameras are the easiest thing in the world to bootleg signals off of aside from cell phones and home phones.

Enjoy,

Darris C.

PS. Do they stop crime? Petty crimes yes, but organized crime? Not a chance not to mention organized crime is already tapping the signals anyway I'm sure.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Keep your expressions neutral lest the thought police decend upon you.

Chip

Occupation

Idea Captain Paranoid

Originally posted by Darris Chambless

If they were to incorporate those over here on a large scale it would be so badly abused it wouldn't even be funny. CCTV is easily accesible with a portable remote unit. You simply tap the signal and tah dah! you to can watch everyone and even record them to blackmail them later.

Darris C.

PS. Do they stop crime? Petty crimes yes, but organized crime? Not a chance not to mention organized crime is already tapping the signals anyway I'm sure.
    Well thats a sign of a paranoid society.... Most cctv systems are monitered by the police, although some in say bus & train stations will be monitered by their own staff. So yes they could be open to abuse, but what price safety on the streets.. Sure they dont stop crime but they sure as hell make it a lot easier to catch the culprits as they have still pics rather than some vague discription given by a drunk (Yes oficer he was black about 20 stone, bald, wearing a frilly white frock)
    I will say again "Only people who have something to hide are scared of cctv"

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only a paranoid government would outlaw personal ownership of weapons and place it's population under servilance.

Chip:finger:

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Captain Paranoid

Originally posted by John R

I will say again "Only people who have something to hide are scared of cctv"
    No dis-respect here but..........I'll keep my gun's. I've got nothing to hide........Strange though how people with the most to hide(politicians)come up with these idea's .Who voted to put the cctv up in the first place? Did you or any of the people in your town get a chance to vote on this.........most likely not.They just went ahead and did it.It barely cut's out any crime(petty theft........oh please....)although i must admit it seem's to work well with traffic violations(running red light's) big deal.But on the other hand......keeping firearms is a big No No! Who are they to decide what is right for you and me?I'm sure i'll get alot of heat for this............but for the most part,from where i stand...the majority of the people out there are good honest people who DO NOT need to be watched.But they will put up CCTV .......so in the future we won't have to bare arms right? All of those cameras will keep the bad guy's away right?,,,,,,,
    Last edited by Sean; 02-23-2002 at 09:42 PM.

Thread Information