Thread: Contact lens diameter for 10 year old

Contact lens diameter for 10 year old

I'm not an eyecare professional, but I do have a question. My 10 year old daughter just got soft contacts. They are the same diameter as my wife's.
    (8.6) I am a veteran lens wearer too. Anyway, my daughter is having a tough time getting them in her eye. She tolerates them well and has the motor skills to attempt to insert them. The problem seems to be that her eyelids are tight and the available space to get the contact in is very small. I can get them in for her, but I have to really stretch her eyelids to do it. The Optician himself wasn't in when I went back to discuss this but his staff assured me that my daughter would eventually get them in. I am skeptical though. My son when he was 10 popped his in the first time easily. Can a child get a smaller diameter lens?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it is a soft lens 8.6 is not the diameter, it is the inside radius. If it is a rigid lens 8.6 is a rather small diameter. With a very few exceptions the diameter is not a factor in inserting a lens. Sometimes thickness (stiffness is) most disposable brands are very flimsy, practioner might concider a thicker daily wear non-disposable.

Soft contacts are made from 11.5mm to 15+ mm diameter. Usually the problem with 10 year olds is the fact that they are 10 years old. It is a great help to have the homones kick in to provide motivation for wearing contacts. We didn't use to fit them except in rare circumstances until they were 14+ years of age. Now the goal is get the patient before the guy down the street does.The optician should have personally taught him to insert and remove the lenses at least the point of capablility and then told him to practice the same evening he went home with them until it was as easy as putting on socks, this is important for any patient. Those that wear lenses that are worn for more than a day need to learn the first day even more than others as they don't get to practice every day and get better, they just build up more fear between insertions.

Go back to your optician and have him re-instruct the child until he can do it several times with success in the office, then have him go home an practice that evening. Do not let him sleep overnight before practicing it's easy to forget things or part of things overnight, especially if you have things to do (like going to school) in the morning.

Chip

Also ask the kid if he still wants contact lenses, many 12 and under patients lose all enthusiasm for contacts once they find out this is the first thing in thier life mommie and daddy can't do for them.
    Last edited by chip anderson; 02-20-2002 at 10:38 PM.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip's right; she should be taught how to get the lenses in and out and have to do this herself a couple of times before leaving the dispensers office. Then she needs to practice at home.

Kids are dextrous but keeping those fingers, lashes and lids out of the way can be very frustrating. The more frustrated a young person gets, the more impatient they get and it gets tougher to get lenses in and out.

A contact lens fitter will be able to teach her the correct method for insertion and removal and give her some tips to make it easier. If you put them in for her, she will be able to wear them but what if they start feeling uncomfortable while she is in school? She has to be able to get them in and out on her own.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sounds like a chain store job!?

Thread Information