Thread: Big Yellow Busses..

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up Big Yellow Busses..

Today saw the first use of 2 Yankie Yellow busses for shipping kids to school in, in Yorkshire.
    Now the Kids just loved em, but some of the adults did'nt comments like too big, too brash, too Yellow ???? too Americian & what a waste of money.....
    I would like to know do you have any special laws relating to these buses ?

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This may sound like a stupid question......since all we have over here are yellow buses.But what was the common color before the switch?

Occupation

Confused Take your pick..

We have buses of about every colour going... What is the big diffrence is these are proper americian school buses, we dont have such a thing over here. We just use any bus going.
    The scheme was started by the local councils road safty officer who just happens to be a yank and thought it was a good idea to use dedicated buses for transporting the kids to school so she perswaded someone to buy a couple....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess i can relate to that.Someone around here came up with the idea of introducing those lime green fire trucks....come on......they are supposed to be red.....right?

BTW What laws for the buses are you asking about? Do you mean traffic laws or something else....like say maybe color?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like to know do you have any special laws relating to these buses ?
    When those lights are flashing all cars are supposed to stop. Some buses also have stop signs that open up on the drivers side.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also along with the swing out stop sign,alot of buses will have a large yellow rail in the front(the width of the bus)that will come away from the bumper half way to act as a fence so to speak. When it's safe to cross the road the bus driver opens it the rest of the way. And as far as laws......buses MUST stop a RR crossings, signal or no signal before proceeding.

Bad address email on file Mikef's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We have laws that you must have seatbelts on kids under a certain age. I have never seen a seatbelt on a yellow bus though!! Go figure!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mikef:

Supposedly "it has been statisticly proven" that safety belts are more dangerous on school buses. At least this is what our people in charge of such things and the "National Safety Council tells us.

As to special laws, in most states it is illegal to pass a stopped school bus.

As to the practicallity of school buses: Where we have had them thrust upon us to break up neighborhood schools, most everyone black or white hates the damn policy. Further on the practicality, one can "prove" that the fuel efficency of the things is greater. Unfortunately, the figures used assume a full load of passengers for the full distance each way. It doesn't happen this way. The bus is often partially filled and always partially filled for the most part of each run. Hense , the fuel efficency is much worse than that of individual small vehicles.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Worse Yet !

There is talk around my home town due to the shortfall of the fiscal school budget.......that we may have to pay as much as $200.00 to $400.00 to have our kids ride the bus. P.S. This is not a joke. :(

Occupation

Thumbs up Thanks Folks

Yep it was the No passing a stoped school bus, i thought i had heard this somewhere.
    As to cost affectiveness unlike america a lot of us dont have cars or only one which will be in use come school time. I'm lucky in that my daughter has only about 1/4 mile to go to school so she has to walk..
    Sean, if our kids have to use a bus, and the trip is under 3 miles as the crow flies then we have to pay their bus fares, Its only when a school bus is provided (not often) or you live over 3 miles that you get a pass for free travel on the busses.
    Over here they are trying to reduce the nunber of peeps taking their kids to school in their cars, some i know are so lazy that they use their cars to take the kids to school despite the fact its almost as quick to walk....There is one with 3 kids who spends as long getting the kids in the car as it took the wife to walk too and from the school, and they went to the same school......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JohnR,
    I know you are probably the last person that want's to here the word Taxes! but i figured what the heck...........You see that is an expense that i have already paid for through local,state,and excise taxes.Now due to some shortfall in the school budget(school none the less)we are more than likely to have to pay in order to send the little one's to school on a bus.Every time i turn around theres a tax hike some where..gas,land,booze,smokes,water,cable etc.Heck i even heard some talk about having to have parent's pay if the kiddies want to play sports at the school.I just keep thinking to myself........what next? It seem's that every thing else that can be taxed has been.Since the powers that be have run out of excuses and things to tax they are now targeting schools and our children. Just my opinion....and a darn good one at that if i may add.

Thread Information