Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: State Practical Exam

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Warren

We have been working legislatively with our lobbyist to put formal education into our licensing law. You said:
    I have been in discussions with several states who seek to add an educational component, and don't find it politically or financially feasible, and attempt to institute it through the rule making process every board has at its disposal.
    Do you have any ideas I could share with the Opticians on our licensing board to institute formal education by rule change?

Thanks for your help
    :cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I think a compact could work.....

I think a compact could work if the National Committee were to take a leadership position and adopt it as a goal.It would certainly take the heat off a National Practical.

The efforts of NC, AZ,AL,and MA as well as some states I can't remember, to affect reciprocity,were unsucessful (with the exception of AZ) because of the nature of the word reciprocal.Arizona to their credit, went first, and MA to date remains reciprocal with Arizona.

We (MA) are currently undergoing a revision of the rules and regs.We have agreed to accept the credentials of any Licensed Optician provided, the state in which they are licensed has essentially the same requirements as do we, and the licensee is in good standing in his home state.If the home state does not require a practical exam, then the applicant will be required to take ours.

The above regulation has not been voted on as yet, we still have to go through the hearing process, but unofficially that is now the policy of the board.

I agree that Rhode Island took a giant step and I would love to start something in my state, However it will require changing the statute.When you open the statute up for change you risk some of the more well heeled players in this game to lobby for OTHER changes which may be detrimental.ie eliminating the statute all together.It is possible to change it but are the risks of going up against what LC,Pearle,Cole, Walmart etc may want worth it?

Rhode Island did not face the same situation as some of the more populated states do.But God love them, they pulled it off, and are to be congratulated.
    best from harry
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Jerry

Rule making is consistant with the responsibilities of boards in many states. Look at your rules section and see how apprenticeship is set up. The board may have an avenue through which they can institue some educational component without going through a change in the law. The US Department of labor says that an apprenticeship program WILL include some formal classroom instruction. An interesting thing also that may be of interest is self-regulation. Naturopaths in NC set up a totally independent board to license themselves and to meet a cerrtain level of education. It is much like certification in that they can't make people seek their license but they are planning to approach the state legistature for recognition of the board. In unlicensed states, we simply establish some programs or use distance learning to provide formal ed components, and encourage the employers in the field to reward the effort. Eventually we will be able to expand into licensure through the justification of our training. But that is not to your point.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Cindy and Harry

I am certainly not saying a compact won't work now, it just didn't in prior efforts. I just wanted to re-emphasize my stance on education and point out that it would solve a great many of our ills. I applaude the efforts for a compact and wish you luck. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mr McDonald,
    I, too, think education is the key to getting our field the rcognition it deserves. I, for one, would welcome the next time Dateline or Primetime did an expose' and the optical industry was excluded!

I think education is the key and I applaud my company for making it possible for more opticians to grow within our ranks by paying for schooling (with limits) and for paying (80%) for opticians to keep their certifications through CE's.

I think education is key in growing our field.
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up Thank you Warren

I will check on the section of the rules dealing with apprentices. There could be an opportunity there for mandating formal education. Thanks again.

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Thread Information