Thread: OD Told My Patient That The Previous Glasses I Made for Her Were Wrong

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

OD Told My Patient That The Previous Glasses I Made for Her Were Wrong

My patient wears professional readers or Access lenses and has been my client for about 8 years. We should also note that she has a very narrow PD (56 near).
    After presenting her new prescription to me and choosing a new frame (making Access lenses again) she mentioned that her optometrist told her upon leaving the exam room that I had given her the wrong prescription on her last pair of glasses.

Of course I was very interested in this statement and explained that if his "technician" didn't know that the lenses were professional readers that could explain the goings on.
    She was kind enough to bring her previous glasses back to me as I requested and I found the prescription to be made exactly as to what was prescibed. However I found that if you didn't put the glasses in the lensometer correctly (allowing for her very narrow PD) that you would get a cylinder reading of about .50 (she was prescribed spheres only) and I showed her this as well as showing her that the printout of my digital lensometer which matched the presciption in question. She was totally fine with the explaination and understood what happened at her OD's office.

Now for the $64,000 question. How would you respond to this series of events?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would drive (slowly, taking deep breaths along the way) to the ODs practice, and offer to educate them on the type of lens it was, and how to properly neutralize it. I would be very non-confrontational, and explain that when the patient comes back to you, confused by what they are told at their (OD) office, it only makes the OD and his tech look bad.

They probably won't take you up on the offer, but it will let them know that you will not brush off their dispensing of erroneous information without a response. I would also let them know that you are there as a favor to them, so that you will not have to suggest the patient go to another OD when it is time for their next examination.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will second Brother Johns's suggestion.

{I would drive at a much more brisk pace though!!!!}

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You could even get some literature about the lens to take along, along with diagrams. I had an OMD that his tech had told there was a severe problem with the glasses we'd made for one of his patients. We got a note from them stating "too much cylinder, 45 degrees off avis,overplussed" And the lens dots were still on where she'd spotted them - halfway down the corridor and outside of it. Turns out she thought you were supposed to center the lens (geometric center) to check them. I talked to the OMD and asked to come down to tutor them on how to check lenses, and I did, and the problem went away.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I will second Brother Johns's suggestion.

{I would drive at a much more brisk pace though!!!!}
    I'd like to third it.

(and by the way Fezz, are you sure you wouldn't be riding on a horse instead of driving?)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Horse? How bout a cowboy cadillac?
    Really though, that's a handy thing to have there golfnorth, the auto with the printout.
    Johns suggestion is on point with someone with not just a reputation to protect, but a thriving business as well. Your approach convinces the customer while his convinces the customer plus a whole office. Dragons suggestion of literature and diagrams is quite on point as well.
    Funny how incompetents are quick to bash others' work...
    Last edited by Wes; 03-17-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: typos, wording grr blackberry
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Were having this problem with practice it used to be just exams and surgery but they opened a optical side a couple years back. One of the Dr. keeps writing big changes for our long time patients that are wrong, write prescriptions wrong, we started calling and verifying the script and theyll say thats what they have on file. even sent one patient and wrote a -0.50 instead of a +0.50 then told the patient we did it wrong.

Occupation
    Ronnie, you might want to stop accepting Rx from that office. Anyone ever have to deal with a situation like this?

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a group of Ophthalmologists (non dispensing) who my doc's refer to and a few years ago a new tech told them the rx was made wrong (it wasn't).

It just so happened that the new OAL book came out and when my lab rep stopped by to drop one off I asked for an extra copy. I wrote a cover letter, included some verifying tapes and after a phone call to the tech asking if she wanted a "refresher" on how to read progressives (she declined) sent the package to the MD's attention.

I kept everything strictly professional and of course had my doc's review the package before sending it.

The point must have been made as there has not been a problem since.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    Ronnie, you might want to stop accepting Rx from that office. Anyone ever have to deal with a situation like this?
    Thats what my trial frame set is for. There are a couple of Offices in my area that ar notorious for wrong Rx's.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post

I have one opthomologist here in town that always and I am not exagerating ALWAYS over plus's. Unfortunately I had to stop accepting his RX's! I really hated to do it but in the long run I am saving remakes and headaches!

His office called a while back and asked why we no longer accepted his RX's and we told them, haven't heard a peep out of them since.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That OMD's room was probably too short.

Guys, when an OD or OMD questions your optical expertise, I think you are foolish to approach their offices. Nothing good is going to happen.

Either they are deliberately trying to sabotage you/enhance themselves--in which case you have no common ground--or they are just plain stupid. It's not your job to educate them.

Instead, you should realize, internalize, promote, and never, ever forget: YOU ARE THE OPTICAL EXPERTS.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are just saying that to discourage JERKS like us from paying your office a visit!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also have had this problem, I find that setting up a "learning lunch" (get your lab involved) to educate the techs, doc's, etc on computer lenses. Hopefully the lab will even fit one of the Doc or techs with the lens. Keeps the communication flowing. If you keep getting a bad taste in your mouth from that practice, I agree with the others, stop taking their Rx's, or better yet, let your patients know that there will be a re-make charge for all Rx changes from that Dr.

Happy St Pat's day:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    I came, I saw, I left

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would tell the (my) client that the OD's office made an unintentional" erroneous reading of her prescription, probably because their staff is not familiar with all the different types of lenses available today...

...as "we are" (!)

Barry

Occupation
    the problem is this office is a very respected MD office and its one of the dr that work under him that we keep getting them from. We will lose alot of customers if we stop taking her RX's and with us being a one location in a small town we cannot afford to lose a customer. Also connot afford to be replacing a Kodak unique lens either which is what happened last week. Welcome to my catch 22 damned if we do damned if we dont

Occupation
    also lemme add we had one patient theyre optical department said the problem was we switched her lenses....from an XL to a kodak unique? if it was the other way around maybe but not going into a much better lens

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    It's not your job to educate them.
    Sometimes it IS our job. We educate the consumers, and many times, educate the gatekeepers.

I've got absolutely no problem if an OD, MD, or another optician were to (politely) point out my error, and explain how to correct the error. It has happended to me, and I appreciate them going out of their way to do it.

I also have an MD in my town that will often call and ask, not what the latest greatest is, but rather what is working for us,and what is not. It helps solidify the relationship we have, as well as putting us on the same page, and on message with the patients.

(This MD does not, of course dispense, so that does make a difference in the situation. My point is that they are not all arrogant, and the free-flow of ideas/education is beneficial to both of us)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Let them eat Optiboard cake, like me!

I do appreciate your "greater good" argument, Pollyan---er, Johns. ;)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Call the doctor who made the statement and explain what your customer had. A little communication can go a long way...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is creepy! How did you know that "PollyAnna" is my middle name?!?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie daniels View Post
    the problem is this office is a very respected MD office and its one of the dr that work under him that we keep getting them from. We will lose alot of customers if we stop taking her RX's and with us being a one location in a small town we cannot afford to lose a customer. Also connot afford to be replacing a Kodak unique lens either which is what happened last week. Welcome to my catch 22 damned if we do damned if we dont
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    Thats what my trial frame set is for. There are a couple of Offices in my area that ar notorious for wrong Rx's.
    Ronnie, See kcounts answer above. Trial frame the pt in the rx before ordering.

Occupation
    ill talk to the bosses about a trial frame tommorow, never really considered getting one but in this case it would be great! Whats a price on a trial frame and some suppliers. Shoot a PM if nessecary.

Thread Information