Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marchon.... REALLY?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Marchon.... REALLY?

Diane Von Furestenberg?

Marchon dear, the 70's called and they want their WRAP DRESS back!

Jeez o' peat, I almost busted out laughing when I saw the new cover of 20/20 mag. :hammer:

Poor, Poor Marchon...

Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What was old, is now old again!
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry

Today, Marchon is owned by the worlds largest 3rd party vision plan. They implore opticians to buy their frames, but at the same time, deny opticians from participating in the plan they control.

It's kind of like Marchon inviting everyone a big eyecare dinner party. They take your money at the door, walk the everybody into the grand hall,w/tables set w/ fine china and crystal. The bell rings, the ODs are seated, while the opticians are led out to the parking garage and given a doggy bag. (actually, they don't let us participate in VSP in any form do they? So we don't even get the doggy bag.).

There was a time, back in the 70's, way before Marchon and VSP, when opticians bought from companies that in turn would be loyal to them for their business. Maybe this old dusty frame design is a nod to the past. to a time when they just sold frames, and didn't worry about how to direct customers to your competition.:angry:

Sorry...I know this is a lighthearted thread, but I can't see that name without thinking about VSP, and how they so tirelessly work to keep opticians out of the game.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Today, Marchon is owned by the worlds largest 3rd party vision plan. They implore opticians to buy their frames, but at the same time, deny opticians from participating in the plan they control.

It's kind of like Marchon inviting everyone a big eyecare dinner party. They take your money at the door, walk the everybody into the grand hall,w/tables set w/ fine china and crystal. The bell rings, the ODs are seated, while the opticians are led out to the parking garage and given a doggy bag. (actually, they don't let us participate in VSP in any form do they? So we don't even get the doggy bag.).

There was a time, back in the 70's, way before Marchon and VSP, when opticians bought from companies that in turn would be loyal to them for their business. Maybe this old dusty frame design is a nod to the past. to a time when they just sold frames, and didn't worry about how to direct customers to your competition.:angry:

Sorry...I know this is a lighthearted thread, but I can't see that name without thinking about VSP, and how they so tirelessly work to keep opticians out of the game.
    Johns what are you talking about?! We get a 'doggy bag'. Its the same kind we used to lite up on the neighbors front stoop before ringing the bell and running to watch from the bushes.

Marchon has no place in my office and nevr will, well unless they pay me for the board space... wait they already do that... FOR THE OD'S! I'm sorry, that was my outside voice. Time for KC's meds.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    well marchon may be behind the time bbut i gotta give props to a very informative article written by our very own barry santini about the importance of a correct pd measurement in that very same 20 20000!!! lol

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I really do think that it's cruel to make jokes about residents of nursing homes, but

why would they take a picture of her, propped up against the wall, with big chunks of yesterdays oatmeal on the front of her housecoat?:finger:

http://www.2020mag.com/ViewContent/t...3/Default.aspx

That's just not right. (Do you think she even knows they're using her name on their glasses?)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have always said "When oversized blanks and reverse temples come back it's time to retire". I better dust off the gradient tint arm and find that book of decorative lens stickers. I know they're around here somewhere.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I hate to be argumenative, but actually Diane has made a huge comeback in the fashion world. She is very popular with the high end fashion buyers. Unfortunatly fashion always circles back, and luckily for her it has circled back in her life time. So, contrary to what many of you think, her designs are current. Now I am not arguing that Marchon is The BIG RED DRAGON that breathes fire down on us. At least with the BIG BLUE DRAGON (LUX) it's something more useful like lightning...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    why would they take a picture of her, propped up against the wall, with big chunks of yesterdays oatmeal on the front of her housecoat?:finger:

http://www.2020mag.com/ViewContent/t...3/Default.aspx

That's just not right. (Do you think she even knows they're using her name on their glasses?)

Johns... it's not OATMEAL! It's CREAM OF WHEAT! HELLO!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    As an OD, sometimes I think we would all be better off without VSP!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Speaking of big blanks.....

So if you have a progressive and have to put a....how do I say this eloquently....beady eyed individual person in the frame.....

That leaves only a few progressives that are available in 80mm...

Hmmmmm....sounds like a well thought out plan....

And just so we know, don't feel bummed about NOT being able to take VSP...when we get a "negative" amount on a remittance, I feel like I spent the night in bed and she left before I woke up and I don't even remember what she looked like.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by canaanlilli View Post
    I hate to be argumenative, but actually Diane has made a huge comeback in the fashion world. She is very popular with the high end fashion buyers. Unfortunatly fashion always circles back, and luckily for her it has circled back in her life time. So, contrary to what many of you think, her designs are current. Now I am not arguing that Marchon is The BIG RED DRAGON that breathes fire down on us. At least with the BIG BLUE DRAGON (LUX) it's something more useful like lightning...
    Oh your not being argumentative at all.... I just thought it was kinda funny in a Sophia Loren kinda way, remember those monsters?
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie daniels View Post
    well marchon may be behind the time bbut i gotta give props to a very informative article written by our very own barry santini about the importance of a correct pd measurement in that very same 20 20000!!! lol
    GREAT ARTICLE! I agree!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    Oh your not being argumentative at all.... I just thought it was kinda funny in a Sophia Loren kinda way, remember those monsters?
    Be sure to ask Judy about her "new" Oscar De la Renta frame.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shindog1961 View Post
    As an OD, sometimes I think we would all be better off without VSP!
    VSP is the biggest sham out there. I agree.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So should I get out the tint palette and make up some Bluse Rose double gradients?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aside from Barry's article and all of the hard work the other writers do, has anyone counted the ad's in 20/20?? I can honestly say I don't have the time, but Marchon has ad's from end to end, of course they are going to get prime articles. I agree that's it's hard to bring back a line that didn't do that well 15 years ago, but it gives them one more "name". It's as though the powers that be think that we opticians can't sell a frame unless a "name" is attached to it. Years ago.....(too long) people didn't want to pay extra for someone's elses name on their glasses, now it's a strong selling tool for the un-trained optician that doesn't know how to recognize a quality frame without a name:hammer:
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    So should I get out the tint palette and make up some Bluse Rose double gradients?
    Triple gradient KCount...triple with a nice fashion bevel!!! LOL!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

Joseph Roux

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    Years ago.....(too long) people didn't want to pay extra for someone's elses name on their glasses, now it's a strong selling tool for the un-trained optician that doesn't know how to recognize a quality frame without a name:hammer:
    Hold quality in your hand and its all done. I took my wife to VEW last year to buy for the store. Buy the second vendor she was getting it.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Be sure to ask Judy about her "new" Oscar De la Renta frame.
    Hey now....it's a classic!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey wait a minute - I'm almost CERTAIN there are laws in my state against grandma's wearing fishnet stockings! Note to the cover artists: would you please spend just a little more time photoshopping the liver spots and wrinkles off next time? We, the general viewing/reading public, would deeply appreciate it! ;)

pardon me a minute while I scrub my corneas vigorously with steel wool to erase THAT horrid image! I don't give a toss WHO this lady may have been ONCE...but I sure didn't appreciate THAT cover! GACK!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Hey wait a minute - I'm almost CERTAIN there are laws in my state against grandma's wearing fishnet stockings! Note to the cover artists: would you please spend just a little more time photoshopping the liver spots and wrinkles off next time? We, the general viewing/reading public, would deeply appreciate it! ;)

pardon me a minute while I scrub my corneas vigorously with steel wool to erase THAT horrid image! I don't give a toss WHO this lady may have been ONCE...but I sure didn't appreciate THAT cover! GACK!!!!
    Geez Brian, tell us how you REALLY feel ;)
    Bryan Finley, Florida Board Certified Licensed Dispensing Optician

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hehehe

It's just that I can't really afford this kind of intensive therapy to treat the ocular seizures that cover induces!

And then there is of course the vomiting....

Did I mention GACK???!!!!!

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    So should I get out the tint palette and make up some Blue Rose double gradients?
    I wore blue rose double gradient lenses back in the early 1980's. :hammer:

Did anyone else notice all the deeper frames in the latest 20/20 magazine?

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I had a patient yesterday ask me if the tiny crystal on the demo lens came with the glasses?! Well I sure hope that fad is not coming back in style... bedazzling was for jeans and that was horrid in itself!

Thread Information