Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gunnar Eyewear

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Gunnar Eyewear

Did you hear the big news about GUNNAR Optiks and Carl Zeiss Vision? I’ve been an extreme advocate of GUNNAR Optiks’ Digital Performance Eyewear since bringing it into my practice back in 2008. GUNNAR’S patented i-AMP lens platform delivers a much needed benefit for any patients suffering from the effects of Computer Vision Syndrome; which happens to represent the large majority of my patient base. GUNNAR is one of the more progressive companies in the business and is now combining forces with one of the most distinguished and reputable lens companies in the industry - Carl Zeiss Vision. Check out the GUNNAR website at www.gunnars.com.

Also, check out the specifics of the GUNNAR / Zeiss deal using this link to Forbes Magazine:
    http://www.forbes.com/feeds/business...136410912.html

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have had Gunnar computer glasses in my office for over a year and it has been the best thing I have done in a very long time. It has incredibly helped my bottom line and significantly helped my patients suffering from Computer Vision Syndrome and also those who just sit on the computer as a way to help by preventive eyecare. Definitely check out Gunnars!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    im curious to see what they do with their reps, we loved our last gunnar rep, and we love our current zeiss rep so hopefully they either bring back the old one or move it over to the zeiss guys.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This ploy is so transparent. I hope your lenses are as clear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    This ploy is so transparent. I hope your lenses are as clear.
    You don't like press releases? And they stayed up all night planning this, only to do more harm than good.:hammer:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    What I have heard Gunnar is moving all product to Zeiss reps effective May 1st.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i dont see this as a negative really, maybe the sart of a downward spiral for gunnar though.

Seems to me that they needed money instead of wording it as an investment, make it sound like a more positive thing. so now gunnar is mostly an importer and marketing company

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    The highly wrapped configuration of Gunnar’s fRACTYL lens geometry sits close to the face and creates an ocular microclimate. This prevents dry eyes by trapping in humidity and blocking out evaporative air currents.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    This might be the funniest thread in optiboard history...:shiner:

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The chital or cheetal (Axis axis)[2], also known as chital deer, spotted deer or axis deer is a deer which commonly inhabits wooded regions of Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bangladesh and India. They are found in small numbers in Pakistan as well. It is the most common deer species in Indian forests. Its coat is reddish fawn, marked with white spots, and its underparts are white. Its antlers, which it sheds annually, are usually three-pronged and curve in a lyre shape and may extend to 75 cm (2.5 ft). It stands about 90 cm (3 ft) tall at the shoulder and masses about 85 kg (187 lb). It's lifespan is around 20-30 years.

The spotted deer are found in large numbers in dense deciduous/semi-evergreen jungles and open grasslands. The highest numbers of Chital are found in the jungles of India. Chital feed upon tall grass and shrubs and hence they occur in such jungles. Chital are a tiger's favourite prey and hence they live in jungles where they get plenty of shade and tall trees so that the tiger can easily camouflage

Axis deer most commonly occur in herds of ten to fifty individuals, with one or two stags and a number of females and young. They are often fairly tolerant of approach by humans and vehicles, especially where they are accustomed to human disturbance. They do not occur at higher elevation forests where they are usually replaced by other species such as the Sambar deer. Axis deer eat primarily grasses and vegetation, but also eat their shed antlers as a source of nutrients.
    The chital has a protracted breeding season due in part to the tropical climate, and births can occur throughout the year. For this reason, males do not have their antler cycles in synchrony and there are some fertile females at all times of the year. Males sporting hard antlers are dominant over those in velvet or those without antlers, irrespective of their size and other factors.

An interesting relationship has been observed between herds of axis deer and troops of the Northern Plains Gray Langur (Presbytis entellus), a widespread leaf-eating monkey taxon of South Asia. Axis deer apparently benefit from the langurs' good eyesight and ability to post a lookout in a treetop, helping to raise the alarm when a predator approaches. For the langurs' part, the axis deer's superior sense of smell would seem to assist in early predator warning, and it is common to see langurs foraging on the ground in the presence of axis deer. The axis deer also benefit from fruits dropped by the langurs from trees such as Terminalia bellerica and Phyllanthus emblica.[3] Alarm calls of either species can be indicative of the presence of a predator such as a tiger.[citation needed]

The Chital is called Jinke in Kannada, Pulli Maan in Tamil, Duppi in Telugu, Phutuki Horin in Assamese and Hiran in Hindi/Urdu (ultimately derived from Harini, the Sanskrit root word for 'deer'). It has been introduced to Queensland, Australia, Uruguay, Point Reyes National Seashore near San Francisco, California, Texas and Florida as well as Hawaii in the United States.
    It is hunted for sport and its meat and hide in the United States. Axis meat is 99.8% fat free - making it the leanest meat of any mammal. The taste of the meat is very close to good beef.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    James, you forgot to include one of your venison recipes, like venison sushi.

:bbg::cheers::bbg:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Smoke and mirrors - same marketing dept. as Oakley? I know their designers are the same (per the Gunnar rep out here.) I believe the only "micro-climate" they've created is the giant bong they must live inside! ;) hehehe

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Alot of the team from oakley that left with the lux merger spun off and went into gunnar. Some of the head sales force, design and marketing team from oakley started up gunnar.

The product works, im not sure if its a placebo effect, or people perceive it to work since it is a specialized product for that environment.

There are things about them i do put trust in, and others i see more as marketing than anything else. the micro climate shenanigans are probably more marketing, im sure it helps some... slightly at best.

A high contrast slight plus lens with AR will help anyone on the computer... they package it and sell it different then other companies do.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    umm am i missing something or does this whole deer thing gone way of topic?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EdgeOptical View Post
    ...A high contrast slight plus lens with AR will help anyone on the computer... they package it and sell it different then other companies do.
    We found a very different reality here. In fact, we had several patients who tried it return them complaining of massive headaches and even worse vision at the computer. I actually experienced slight nausea myself when I tried wearing them. The benefit of a tint has been discussed here at length and there has been no overwhelming consent that this particular tint (or even any tint at all) helps *everyone* working behind a computer monitor.

The packaging and selling (marketing) is certainly a huge push of theirs however.

Needless to say, after trying the glasses in office and getting the patient feedback we did, our docs sent it all back within the year we had them in office.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    odd, we have had great results with it so far. I have a few pair out as trials now to individuals that spend most of their day on the computer doing different things, (one IT admin, web site admin for BMW, call center reps) so far we have had great feedback. Personally i have noticed a difference with black print on a white background... not so much other colors though.

There is a big difference between the lenses now and the initial launch, they decreased the power and prism after the initial launch. My personal pair was a pre launch demo, those were too much, but i can comfortably wear the newer ones.

as far as everyone benefiting... i know it is a big point of contention, if it actually helps, or if it is just comforting, 100% of my patients have noticed a difference. so far no negative feedback about the color at all. So i was taking great liberties, but not with out reason (a small sampling creating the reasoning, but for my purposes reasoning)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I get ya Edge. :) I am glad to hear you're seeing success. Now it's not cutting in to your custom computer/near work at all I hope is it? For the cost they were charging us, we could always make a more custom set for quite a bit less. But I also know that there is something to marketing, and the potential for placebo must play some part as well I would think. All the best!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It really hasnt been. I usually reccomend those more for over contacts, plano, or very low Rxs. since part of their marketing is with the curvature of the lens, that curve works for a small % of rx wearers.

so anyone with a higher Rx or special concerns we do some great computer glasses that will wow them more than any over hyped out of the box product will.

same goes for sunglasses or anything else really.

but yeah, according to a survey i made up for this post, 99% of everyone polled agreed that the gunnars are amazing and will imporve over all visual health but also a drastic improvement in your sex life.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Damnit! Our rep never mentioned a THING about that last line you said! I'm SO calling him back right now!!! ;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    our rep came in with these and i just couldnt see it making any money or helping enuff to put in. I dont care what anyone says alot of ppl cant handle a +0.25 (which is what they have out of the box) The other factor is that to be the "out-of-the-box" product its marketed as the person cant really have a perscription which i rarely get anyone coming to a place that sells glasses that doesnt need them.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Smoke and mirrors - same marketing dept. as Oakley? I know their designers are the same (per the Gunnar rep out here.) I believe the only "micro-climate" they've created is the giant bong they must live inside! ;) hehehe

Giant Bong...snick....snick....snick....:cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Personal endorsement of Gunnars: I'm wearing my Rx Gunnars right now and I love them. Previous pair had Essilor Anti-fatigue lenses and liked them as well. Could go either way... but Gunnars is building steam in the industry and the OD's I know who carry them find them flying off the shelf. I know of one practice in Idaho that had a group of people buying them as soon as they came out of the shipping box!

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did anyone notice that both drericmwhite and eyexam joined optiboard one day apart posted testimonials then never returned.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnie daniels View Post
    our rep came in with these and i just couldnt see it making any money or helping enuff to put in. I dont care what anyone says alot of ppl cant handle a +0.25 (which is what they have out of the box) The other factor is that to be the "out-of-the-box" product its marketed as the person cant really have a perscription which i rarely get anyone coming to a place that sells glasses that doesnt need them.
    Yeah, and Tah Heuer's night glass is plano, yellow tinted and -0.25 sph powered.

So, as far as I'm concerned, ANSI tolernace had just been expanded to plus or minus 0.37D for sphere powers.

And why not?

B

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    umm am i missing something or does this whole deer thing gone way of topic?
    Yes, let's please keep the trolling comments to a minimum.

I dont care what anyone says alot of ppl cant handle a +0.25
    Remember that these lenses are intended for indoor use while viewing a nearby television or computer monitor. Optically, a +0.20 D lens will place anything at 5 m (16.4 ft) in focus and will reduce the accommodative demand for anything within 5 m. So there is really no reason for a well-corrected wearer to have any difficulty wearing Gunnar lenses for their intended use, at least once the visual system has adapted to the very small amount of magnification that they provide.

Smoke and mirrors - same marketing dept. as Oakley? I know their designers are the same
    To be clear, the finished, over-the-counter lens design is the same, but the prescription lenses using optics by Carl Zeiss Vision have been designed by CZV lens designers. The single vision lens is a fully optically customized, free-form lens design. The multifocal lens is a fully optically customized, free-form "computer" progressive lens design with a base design that is not entirely unlike SOLA Access or Zeiss Business. Each lens is optically fine-tuned for the specific prescription requirements of the wearer as well as the wrap angle and pantoscopic tilt of the frame.

As noted earlier in this thread, the frame and lens geometry is also meant to increase humidity around the eye, minimizing dry eye effects. The tint has been designed to maximize visibility and comfort when viewing video displays in a typical indoor lighting environment. On a side-note, research has recently shown that these amber and yellow tint colors may indeed increase the perceived brightness of objects by minimizing the stimulation of the "S" cones of the retina, associated with blue light sensitivity, which can actually serve to trigger a negative or opponent brightness response.

Personally, I think that many avid computer users and videogame players would benefit visually from a task-specific or "computer" lens. The fact is, however, that these lenses have enjoyed very little success in the marketplace. Up to this point, these lenses have just never really "caught on." But we feel that Gunnar has a done a great job so far of targeting these consumers and creating marketing content that appeals to them. So I see this as a "win-win" for both eyecare professionals and their patients.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information