Page 25 of 30 FirstFirst ... 152021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Entry Requirements

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I assume that recording the presentations and conversations would be promoted by those running this gathering. My ale soaked brain considers capturing the moment very beneficial to the cause. I would imagine that there are very many folks following this thread who can not attend, yet they want to be part of this movement. Would having a recording of some sort of the business be beneficial to those that can not attend? Would our cause benefit by recording the presentations, the discussions, the debates, etc.? I doubt that many of us possess the short hand skills to take proper notes as has been suggested.

I would assume that being able to distribute a copy of the happenings would make many feel like they are involved. The more that we have involved, the better chance of change we have. Why should those that believe in our cause be excluded just because they can not make this event? Is it to our benefit to try and get as many folks onboard as we can?

What say you?
    Last edited by Fezz; 06-17-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I would assume that being able to distribute a copy of the happens would make many feel like they are involved. The more that we have involved, the better chance of change we have. Why should those that believe in our cause be excluded just because they can not make this event? Is it to our benefit to try and get as many folks onboard as we can?

What say you?
    Or, should they be excluded because they could not make the event?

Put up or shut up?

You are either in, or out?

It means enough, or doesn't mean enough?

Where do you stand?

Why?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It seems it would be beneficial to have a record of the event, if for nothing more than review. If there are multiple people coming up with good ideas or points of interest how are the attendees going to digest it all.

My other thought is... For those attending, are you going to go back to your home area and spread the word? For lack of a better comparison it seems it would need to be like a pyramid scheme. I'll tell two people and they tell two and so on and so on. If this is really going to be an effort to affect Opticianry that means all Opticians, not just those that can attend. I can say I'll be willing to put myself out there and talk to lots of people, but talk to them about what?

I sure hope something comes of this!!!!!!!
    Properly medicated for your protection.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have contacted several sources for recording services. I am in talks with several high school teachers who are involved with school plays, choir and band presentations, and award presentations to get their input as to what I need to do to get this event on record for those that are interested. I am also meeting with several church A/V people who have offered to help.

I am not sure how the collective group feels about this as of yet. Some may say it is a good thing, some may think it the worst. Some will say, that if you really cared, you would have showed up, some will say the more the merrier.

I want to be prepared either way!

How about you?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I thinks that it's a good thing, but on the other hand, will input/brainstorming be constricted due to the fact that the attendees will chose their words more carefully realizing it will be endlessly reviewed?

I'm a stream of consciousness kind of guy, and some of my best ideas (and worst) come out before my brain is engaged. Often a good thing, sometimes not...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Without the support of the individual states any attempt to upset the status quo will be for naught. Therefore, I would think that you would want to include as many "influential" persons as possible in your deliberations whether they can actually be there or not. If you want to have any influence on the future you must put aside all of your petty personal agendas and place the welfare of the craft first. It has been my experience that the main impediment to the growth of the craft has been elitism among its supposed leadership.

Please consider something like GoToMeetings.com and perhaps a separate forum on OptiBoard. There are many individuals who support what you are doing who could make valuable contributions either with ideas, labor or financial support and their inability to attend this particular meeting should not be an impediment to their participation.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Without the support of the individual states any attempt to upset the status quo will be for naught. Therefore, I would think that you would want to include as many "influential" persons as possible in your deliberations whether they can actually be there or not. If you want to have any influence on the future you must put aside all of your petty personal agendas and place the welfare of the craft first. It has been my experience that the main impediment to the growth of the craft has been elitism among its supposed leadership.

Please consider something like GoToMeetings.com and perhaps a separate forum on OptiBoard. There are many individuals who support what you are doing who could make valuable contributions either with ideas, labor or financial support and their inability to attend this particular meeting should not be an impediment to their participation.
    Was wondering when Dick would join the discussion. Actually I'd vote for him to lead the charge but I think way down deep inside he's saying-Here they go again. How 'bout it Dick, wanna be part of the "Group of Eight" or however many it takes to "fly" this latest version of the "United Opticians Airline" ? Chris.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I still find it interesting that we haven't heard from the OAA or the ABO. Where are they? We are talking about revolution and they sit quiet? Why are they not out here trying to shape this thing?

Or...... are they already here?
    Last edited by kcount; 06-18-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: fingers moving to fast.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    I still find it interesting that we haven't heard from the OAA or the ABO. Where are they? We are talking about revolution and they sit quiet? Why are they not out here trying to shape this thing?

Forget about them, what about all of the individual state societies! Where are they? I would imagine the prospect of what could come of this meeting would be of interest to them!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Forget about them, what about all of the individual state societies! Where are they? I would imagine the prospect of what could come of this meeting would be of interest to them!
    I cant speak for other states but the IL state society is.... no where. Every now and then I'll here something about a state society but I have never met a member. You'd think there would be officers out talking to other opticians, pressing the flesh, getting the roster filled in. Oh wait, thats what we're going to be doing for the Registered Opticians Association... right?

Right?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Is everyone else on this thread getting a PM about their opinion when they post?

I know my opinions are not the most popular but I thought I was entitled to them, I have hcjilson constantly PM'ing me, changing my posts and generally being aggressive towards me and this is somehow tolerated on this forum. My opinions have not been the most popular but they have been thought out and have provided some insight I would hope. If anyone else is recieving the kinds of PM's that I have then I would say this meeting will be a horrible failure and will result in the same ol same ol. This meeting despite it's intentions is slowly turning into another good ol boys back patting event.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    Is everyone else on this thread getting a PM about their opinion when they post?

I know my opinions are not the most popular but I thought I was entitled to them, I have hcjilson constantly PM'ing me, changing my posts and generally being aggressive towards me and this is somehow tolerated on this forum. My opinions have not been the most popular but they have been thought out and have provided some insight I would hope. If anyone else is recieving the kinds of PM's that I have then I would say this meeting will be a horrible failure and will result in the same ol same ol. This meeting despite it's intentions is slowly turning into another good ol boys back patting event.

PM sent!

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    PM sent!
    Thank you.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not all that "important" but I am committed to my profession. What should us "non-import" schuckters do? Sit back while our wonderful leadership that has really taken this profession places take the reins? Again?

I won't be fooled again.
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

As usual Yrahg distorts the facts, whch is neither here nor there. It denigrates this thread which was the reason for my PM to begin with. His less than well thought out post added nothing to this thread, to say nothing of the post quoted here.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I beg to differ with your points Harry.

It may not be a national secret, but the OAA (as an example) and many of the other organizations have heard many of the things that will be discussed and they have not seen a need to implement anything NEW. If the meeting puts a fire under the rumps to implement some changes that benefit our profession it will only be generic and will last as long as the momentum for change lasts, then it's back to the same ol' same ol'. (Usually drinking and hooking up with women at a bar, YES I HAVE PROOF THIS IS NOT AN UNFOUNDED STATEMENT) I call for a changing of the guards, that is the only way I would personally put any faith in the current organizations, even then the snakes have been in their so long they know all the back doors back in.

My opinion is that only something new can even have a chance. I don't like having that opinion because that means a lot of work to even get to a point where there can be discussion of change. I don't believe by the attitudes here that this group will make much of a difference. Many here are willing to throw the towel in because it *might* be tough. I for one know for a fact that it will be tough and if tough isn't a cup of teat that anyones interested in then you might as well save your money and take a real vacation where you don't have to be stuck in a room with a stuffy ol bunch of rednecks (sorry but everyone knows as an optician you are 85%+ chance of being red in the neck so I hope no one resents that comment as much as I represent that comment).
    Correct me if I am wrong but there was talk of throwing the towel in by a few because of a difference of opinion. I can't see that as being a good start, leaders should do better. The redneck statement was a joke and I ribbed myself with that one as well so I can't see how that offended you so much. As for the sorry state of affairs our associatiosn are in that is a FACT at this point, I hav eseen it first hand, I know others that have seen it first hand, not to mention the many on this thread alone that seem disenfranchised. Correct me if I am wrong but those are your cronies Mr Jilson, how many of them are personal friends of yours? Can your opinion be counted as biased? I think before you start looking for faults in my statements you need to evealuate your position then speak.

Has anyone personally invited any prominent optometrists, ophthalmologists, or retail executives? It seems only fitting that any attempt to move this profession forward would need some sort of input from the major forces of opposition in our profession.
    I don't see how this couldn't be constructive. Traditionally these forces have been the opposition, I think the landscape has changed enough where we may see more benefits in working together than as opposing forces, however without any open dialog the reflex response would be the status quo which is to oppose our efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    As usual Yrahg distorts the facts, whch is neither here nor there. It denigrates this thread which was the reason for my PM to begin with. His less than well thought out post added nothing to this thread, to say nothing of the post quoted here.
    It is here and it is there, if you are going to make a statement then back it up or shut it up. I am familiar enough with the rules to know that it is really oyu skirting th edge here, either you are callign me a liar and can prove I am a liar or you need to reverse your course. My posts were thought out enough, I don't understand why I owe you a 30 page thesis as to why my opinion is valid when others can post in this thread without recourse, this is a double standard that you seem to be holding me to that you or others on this thread do not hold yourselves to. If you have some sort of vendetta against me old man just get it off your chest and move on.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    I'm not all that "important" but I am committed to my profession. What should us "non-import" schuckters do? Sit back while our wonderful leadership that has really taken this profession places take the reins? Again?

I won't be fooled again.

Neither will I am I don't think I have to apoligize for being ticked off at those "wonderful leaders".
    Last edited by hcjilson; 06-18-2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: well, at least he cleaned up his language! :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Or, should they be excluded because they could not make the event?

Put up or shut up?

You are either in, or out?

It means enough, or doesn't mean enough?

Where do you stand?

Why?
    Well, I'm a little biased here, because I cannot come. So my answer to your question is..... **insert drum-roll here** .....No, please do not exclude those that have expressed and interest, but cannot attend.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Lots of "maybe's" here, but....

Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post

Maybe they are out there....Maybe they want to see what kind of ideas come out of this meeting (or a group of meetings). Maybe those of you who attend will come up with ideas (and we can incorporate them with ideas from those of us who cannot attend) about what we want to see happen with respect to our profession, and also some ideas of how to make that happen. Maybe once the meeting is over we can present the ideas to the national and state societies, professionally, in person...maybe they will listen and we can work together to make something great happen. Just a dream?? Maybe, but maybe not...maybe the "societies" are tired and ready for some fresh ideas. :)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it's very important to keep in mind that regardless of their motivation, or their results, the leaders in all organizations we deal with are usually there because nobody else stepped up to the plate.

How many of us have been to any of these meetings? I know many have, and they are some of the most frustrated at this point; but others have not even joined, but still talk about "nothing getting done".

Show up, but not to "see what happens". Show up to see what you can make happen. This shouldn't be a spectator sport.

Also, I would really like to see some type of schedule, but more importantly, an agenda that can be reviewed, so we have some idea of what to bring to the table.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Folks,
    This is only a start. There will need to be countless meetings......not just this one! Time will need to be invested. There is some real passion (and serious frustration) expressed here that comes from years of poor planning, and other misplaced values. I agreed to put the group together based on comments from this thread, and personal communication with many others. Dr. Ferguson agreed to work with us as well. But remember, nothing is set n stone. It is a meeting to hear ideas and directions the group feels is important, and that needs to be done collectively. If you feel that is not the thing needed right now, then by all means wait until next time.......if there is one. It will depend on the attendance.

This is, unfortunately, a path often taken by Opticians. We begin bickering before we start! Some want a new organization, and if that is what the group feels is needed, then we will begin to move in that direction. Some want movie cameras in place. or G-to-Meeting broadcasts. Slow down and take a breadth.......lets see what happens first, before we start doing all that. If someone has a camera and wishes to record it, I welcome that, but I want all involved to approve of that recording. What I really wish we would come with is an open mind, and not a pre-determined outcome. This may be a monumental event, or a monumental flop. Join us at the summit and lets see what happens. Until then, be patient.......but remain positive.

One last comment. Some of you here are really true heros to me. I appreciate the massive support we have received, and no matter what happens, you have given me hope for the future. Thanks!

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Mr Jilson if you edit my post at least keep your comments out of them. No matter how hard you try I will not be chased away, you actually make me want to post more. It is leaders like you that need to be removed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh God. Really? The above is a shining example of why I won't be there. Good luck.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Oh God. Really? The above is a shining example of why I won't be there. Good luck.
    So do you want a pitty party or a farewell party?
    Last edited by YrahG; 06-18-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I will not be attending this summit, and i will not be posting to this forum any longer.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Thread Information