Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 141920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry Requirements

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    Looking forward to this meeting of the minds, if we are to be open and creative, ALL must be welcomed with open arms.
    Really?

Why?

Are we honestly going to be open? Can all of the participants truly be open? Or is there too much at stake?

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezzy (and Johns), (and others thinking the same thing!) : )

This venue was chosen after the edu event was already scheduled...can't knock us just because we already planned to be there... Just because some of us were pre-scheduled, does not make us 'in-an-and-out-blabbers'.

: )

Don't underestimate the power of momentum...I have no doubt that great ground-work will begin, lots of people from different areas will participate, and the after-the-fact work will continue the momentum and turn into action. At the NFOS, we often have meetings at venues such as this, and while our three-day meeting does entail people going in and out to teach classes, we still get a ton of work done, and have grown many opt programs, particularly via internet learning.

Follow up is just as important, don't make pre-judgements...collectively, we can do this...

Laurie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I felt things getting very disjointed a while back in this thread - which is a large part of my choice to bow out this round. This does feel (from afar mind you) to continue down that path. I had hoped for some very vigorous email discussion, and some hard core pre-planning before we ever met, but even that was in essence summarily shot down as well.

I know that nothing will be done in the space of a few short hours - even if you were locked in conclave in the Vatican. I fear more harm may come than good if people are unable (or unwilling) to attend for the duration - and most importantly of all - remain focused strictly on the task at hand. Add to that mixture a smattering of directors, CEO's and board members from the very organizations that so many of us have completely lost faith in, or further many of us want nothing to DO with...and it smells like a recipe for disaster.

I hope it isn't.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I remain optimistic, in my experience, I have learned that more work is done after the fact than during the brain-storming... I know many of the participants, and have seen work that is greater than the sum of the whole. After Sat, there is sat pm, and all day sunday...

Won't list my prof/volunteer accomplishments here, or others, like Warren, Johns, Diane, Harry and others, please trust that we know follow-up... it is the follow-up action that leads to change. This is not a one-meeting event.

To quote ol' blue-eyes, 'the best is yet to come'.

...it won't happen in a day, but momentum is building, and, if you are wondering about personal motives (enrollment in opt colleges), I can tell you, that we do not personally gain from increased enrollment...we simply hire more facutly. We are already 'capped' at our opt program, and at this point, looking to mentor new faculty to support new growth.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Any attempt by any organization to implement any ideas out of this meeting will be a change in a good direction. My fear is that if any organization born of this meeting will have to compete with already established organizations that attempt to implement any of the great ideas dreamed up in this meeting. I think that is the fear that is being expressed here, but let me the first to say Warren and Roy have both been pushing an agenda to make things better for many years and it has always fallen on deaf ears, so if this organization does nothing but push the competition to up their game it is still a "win" for the community as a whole.

It does not matter who effects chnge as long as the change is real and tangable. No one and I mean no one is going to prevent this meeting and the momentum that is created, I think that is the most important thing here. As we get closer to the event I expect butterflies in the stomachs of the people attending and I expect pessimism, but those thoughts and feelings are just that feelings and thoughts. The real tangable evidence will be presented at teh meeting and those that attend will be in a position to realize change. I hope that anyone attending will take the message and pass it along, theirs a new sheriff in town pass it on.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    I know that nothing will be done in the space of a few short hours - even if you were locked in conclave in the Vatican. I fear more harm may come than good if people are unable (or unwilling) to attend for the duration - and most importantly of all - remain focused strictly on the task at hand. Add to that mixture a smattering of directors, CEO's and board members from the very organizations that so many of us have completely lost faith in, or further many of us want nothing to DO with...and it smells like a recipe for disaster.

I hope it isn't.
    I am picking up what you are dropping Bro! I share your concerns. I am hopeful, but remain very doubtful!

I am still energized and excited about the possibilities that this meeting holds!

My goal has shifted though. I originally jumped on board planning to make a difference, to change what many of us find wrong. What I now feel is that I am eager to meet with like minded souls who share my passion for this business and who put their money where their mouths are! I want to meet and mingle with others who step up, not aside! I want to be part of the solution, not part of the problem! I want to look into the eyes, and shake the hands of those that feel strongly enough about our profession to show up!

I want to know you, and know that WE tried TOGETHER to make a difference!

Will anything come of this event?

Oh yeah........................................................ many things will come from this!
    Last edited by Fezz; 06-15-2010 at 08:39 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would like anyone who is attending who has access to any audio/visual equipment to think about capturing this event. I know that I would want to review what is said, discussed, proposed, debated, and discarded at this gathering. I would imagine that there are many out in cyberland following this thread that wish they could be at this gathering, but can't, but would still like to know what transpired.

I would think that being able to capture the magic and pass it on would only build momentum and excitement about this adventure. Imagine what could be accomplished if we could share the experience with others who may join the fight!! I think that it is essential that we capture and share this lightning in a jar!

What say you out there? This is not the first time this has been brought up! So far, it has fallen on deaf ears! Surely the educators who are planning on participating have used recording equipment to their benefit! Why can't we do that here?

Any ideas? Do I have to buy a video recorder and audio recording equipment or what? I will if no one steps up, but SHEESH, this should already be taken care of by the smart ones of the group!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I am quoting myself! I've gone MAD!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I would like anyone who is attending who has access to any audio/visual equipment to think about capturing this event. I know that I would want to review what is said, discussed, proposed, debated, and discarded at this gathering. I would imagine that there are many out in cyberland following this thread that wish they could be at this gathering, but can't, but would still like to know what transpired.

I would think that being able to capture the magic and pass it on would only build momentum and excitement about this adventure. Imagine what could be accomplished if we could share the experience with others who may join the fight!! I think that it is essential that we capture and share this lightning in a jar!

What say you out there? This is not the first time this has been brought up! So far, it has fallen on deaf ears! Surely the educators who are planning on participating have used recording equipment to their benefit! Why can't we do that here?

Any ideas? Do I have to buy a video recorder and audio recording equipment or what? I will if no one steps up, but SHEESH, this should already be taken care of by the smart ones of the group!

This is assuming that the participants speak and share openly, honestly and without reserve.

You are not afraid of putting your thoughts and ideas on record...............are you?

Or are you?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 06-15-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Because I can!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I think that is the fear that is being expressed here, but let me the first to say Warren and Roy have both been pushing an agenda to make things better for many years and it has always fallen on deaf ears, so if this organization does nothing but push the competition to up their game it is still a "win" for the community as a whole.
    This makes me wonder why we haven't heard from any of the few remaining state opticianry societies! Surely they have an interest in the future of our profession. Poor Warren and Roy have been screaming this for longer than some of us have been sucking air! Why aren't they chiming in? Where are they?

Are they even aware that Optiboard exists? Are they aware of our movement? Do they support it? What do they have to say? Are they "Partnered" with the OAA? Why hasn't the OAA chimed in? Obviously they are aware of the upcoming gathering.

No official comment from anybody?

Somebody?

****CRICKETTS****

**********MORE CRICKETTS**********

********************EVEN MORE CRICKETTS********************

That is what I thought..................................

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    Hey at least I have two eyebrows...
    ok so Fezz and someone else, who've seen Fezz' eyebrow, gave me kudos on this. I gotta know; who was it?
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Fezz, I want some of what you"ve been smoking.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    and dont say eyebrows!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wss2020 View Post
    Fezz, I want some of what you"ve been smoking.
    Carter Hall in a fine Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe!

I may break out the elk antler peace pipe, stuff it full of kinnick-kinnick and give it hell before I turn in for the night!

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's see now, we meet to create a new association and invite the president of the old to tell us why we should continue to support the old. If you don't like the way these associations are going, stop supporting them with your money. I stopped supporting the ABO and the NCLE many years ago. If you are to have a new voice then meet and everyone start by putting up $500.00 and commiting to pay another $500.00 in six months. These should be dues and must be paid by ALL MEMBERS YEARLY. Nothing gets done, and I do mean NOTHING, without huge amounts of money. So if this is a serious effort, lets see the cash, otherwise it's just an ego trip and a way to socialize.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bill,
    We do not know if a new organization will come from this meeting, but I am glad to hear you want to contribute. The purpose of this summit is to determine the future direction of the profession, period. If a new group forms, then OK. Put your money where your mouth is, and join us in Atlanta.

Warren

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I have not had the time to follow this thread, or any others for that matter lately. I miss spending time here mostly listening and sometimes posting. It seems to me some of my favorite "lecturers" here seem to have alot of time on their hands to operate the keyboards. I do not, but do spend some late night hours sifting through the threads when I can. I miss being here more often but I just can't. Are there alot more Opticians out there like myself who don't look at these threads all day long/ every day?? I'll bet there are. How will you people who attend this meeting plan to contact everyone out there who you think will want a chance to have an impact or "just" participate, while trying to stay afloat out there? I hope I'm on someone's mailing list but-- as is usually the case- now I gotta go!!!

I'm back! Now, I guess an analogy would be HOW and WHO is going to ride herd and gather all the strays before heading to market? Is there enough rope out there and will some of us "old timers" survive the round-up? My neck hurts already.
    Last edited by FVCCHRIS; 06-17-2010 at 09:39 AM.
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Great Idea Fezz

[QUOTE=Fezz;348464]I would like anyone who is attending who has access to any audio/visual equipment to think about capturing this event. I know that I would want to review what is said, discussed, proposed, debated, and discarded at this gathering. I would imagine that there are many out in cyberland following this thread that wish they could be at this gathering, but can't, but would still like to know what transpired.

I am not able to make the meeting, but would love to be there, I would be wiling to purchase a copy of the meeting from anyone who will record it. I have heard Warren's message and strongly support his cause, I live in Texas, I've seen the horror stories first hand. Wish I could be there, but I can"t, so the next best thing for me would be to see it in dvd. Thank You Fezz for suggesting this.

Best Regards to all,

Ginny

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    I am not able to make the meeting, but would love to be there, I would be wiling to purchase a copy of the meeting from anyone who will record it. I have heard Warren's message and strongly support his cause, I live in Texas, I've seen the horror stories first hand. Wish I could be there, but I can"t, so the next best thing for me would be to see it in dvd. Thank You Fezz for suggesting this.

Best Regards to all,

Ginny
    Thanks Ginny, but.................................I am not the first to bring this up! A few other folks have brought it up and nothing came of it. I am hoping that the organizers/presenters will chime in on this matter. My concern is that they may not want what is said on record. Or, they may not want what other participants have to say on record. I also am worried that if things are recorded, that some people may not be as *OPEN* as they would be if there was not a record of what was said. It is my feeling that many of the participants will be very guarded with what they say because of their positions on boards, their jobs, contacts in the business, future opportunities, etc.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Thanks Ginny, but.................................I am not the first to bring this up! A few other folks have brought it up and nothing came of it. I am hoping that the organizers/presenters will chime in on this matter. My concern is that they may not want what is said on record. Or, they may not want what other participants have to say on record. I also am worried that if things are recorded, that some people may not be as *OPEN* as they would be if there was not a record of what was said. It is my feeling that many of the participants will be very guarded with what they say because of their positions on boards, their jobs, contacts in the business, future opportunities, etc.

Do you feel that the old Mafia adage applies here?

"Never write when you can speak, never speak when you can nod, never nod when you can wink."

As a final resort, there's an old saying that three can keep a secret - as long as two are dead.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Bingo.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're not dealing with National secrets here, this is a meeting of those who would like to map out a future for this profession to change the direction it now seems to be heading. It is a positive thing, not negative. Forget about the tape recordings and take good notes. No one's future is at risk attending this meeting. Either you believe in it or you don't. Obviously those who attend believe in it, no one could hold that against them.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I beg to differ with your points Harry.

It may not be a national secret, but the OAA (as an example) and many of the other organizations have heard many of the things that will be discussed and they have not seen a need to implement anything NEW. If the meeting puts a fire under the rumps to implement some changes that benefit our profession it will only be generic and will last as long as the momentum for change lasts, then it's back to the same ol' same ol'. (Usually drinking and hooking up with women at a bar, YES I HAVE PROOF THIS IS NOT AN UNFOUNDED STATEMENT) I call for a changing of the guards, that is the only way I would personally put any faith in the current organizations, even then the snakes have been in their so long they know all the back doors back in.

My opinion is that only something new can even have a chance. I don't like having that opinion because that means a lot of work to even get to a point where there can be discussion of change. I don't believe by the attitudes here that this group will make much of a difference. Many here are willing to throw the towel in because it *might* be tough. I for one know for a fact that it will be tough and if tough isn't a cup of teat that anyones interested in then you might as well save your money and take a real vacation where you don't have to be stuck in a room with a stuffy ol bunch of rednecks (sorry but everyone knows as an optician you are 85%+ chance of being red in the neck so I hope no one resents that comment as much as I represent that comment).

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Has anyone personally invited any prominent optometrists, ophthalmologists, or retail executives? It seems only fitting that any attempt to move this profession forward would need some sort of input from the major forces of opposition in our profession.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by YrahG View Post
    Has anyone personally invited any prominent optometrists, ophthalmologists, or retail executives? It seems only fitting that any attempt to move this profession forward would need some sort of input from the major forces of opposition in our profession.

I'll try to recruit Dr. Gary Gerber. He seems to know everything! I'll bet he will have an answer as to what direction we should take!

If nothing else, maybe he could dazzle us with card tricks to keep some of us red eye types from nodding off!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As for a real attempt at getting a prominent OD or MD involved.............There are several on Optiboard who have shown about as much interest in this gathering as most opticians have!

I wish folks like Drk, Ilahn and few others would step up, join hands and help pave the way?

Thread Information