Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    AMEN!

and....AMEN!

B
    Barry and Bill,
    I love independance, but to accomplish that we must expand a bit. Or, we could see if we can somehow liit dispensing to Opticians only. Good luck on that! As we currently exist, we cannot survive, because in 27 states ANYONE can do what it is we do. If you feel as though we cannot advance, then so be it. Your opinions are noted. I, for one, will not give up just yet.

Warren

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    But Bill.......this thread is not about refraction. It is about improving Opticianry. It is nearly impossible to define the "best" form of dispensing. Opticianry is beyond the borders of NC and I am about a national movement to help others not as fortunate.
    Warren

Here we see once again, that not even our very own *Best and Brightest* are grasping or comprehending the concept of what we are trying to start here! I get more and more discouraged with every post in this thread. I think our cause is just, I think it is the right way to proceed, I believe in you and Roy, and I am committed to step up and not step aside! When you say to me and the others to trust you..........Brother, I am right there!!!!

I got to admit though..........stepping aside sure seems a helluva lot easier after following this thread! It is a shame that more folks on here do not have the Gusto to TRY!

Step up............or step aside!
    Stand up and make a difference!
    Be part of the solution.....not part of the problem!
    Put your money and your time where your mouth is!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Fezz. I appreciate the kind words. I will never give up. As my old friend, Jim Valvano said in his famous ESPN speech prior to his untimely death from cancer....."Never Give Up!". If we get a small group to come together in Atlanta, we can move forward. Others will then want to jump on the train, and in fact, will begin to get excited. I look forward to the session, and afterwards!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wait I thought that was Commander Taggart in Galaxy Quest...

Either way - so has the focus now shifted from simply raising education minimums, and establishing more of a national average of shiny new opticians to expanding their scope? Quite a turn...

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, whom among the Optiboarders will actually be there?

-WMC
    -Roy
    -Judy (I think)
    -Johns
    -Harry Chilling
    -???
    Last edited by Johns; 05-24-2010 at 04:35 PM.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have the weekend off and plan to attend barring any unforseen circumstances. Hotlanta is only 4 hrs away. Three the way I drive.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

-WMC
    -Roy
    -Uilleann
    -Judy (I think)
    -Johns
    -Harry Chilling
    -???
    As Education Chair of the SEOC meeting.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Wait I thought that was Commander Taggart in Galaxy Quest...

Either way - so has the focus now shifted from simply raising education minimums, and establishing more of a national average of shiny new opticians to expanding their scope? Quite a turn...
    It has not turned at all. However, as new people find this lengthy thread, and I feel that is evidence of interest, the questions may appear to make it a bit take different twist. No changes.......just a potential beginning. I hope we have a great group. Fezz, Harry, Diane, Roy, Johns, Judy, and I am sure many others will be the initial brain trust of this meeting. We will see what comes from it in a few weeks!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dr. Mcdonald, I think the idea that you present here is really the start of our professions recovery. The only concern that I have and I'll bet that is in all opticians minds is how the ABO/NCLE going to react to your ideas. The ABO/NCLE makes money off our backs and it seems to be that the watering down of the tests is geared to allow more people to get certified. They make money from the testing and credit granting. We never hear of those in power. Why is that? In order to make a change it has to come from within we are told. Who are these people? Where are they? Do they have names? Will they be amiable to our new born ideals? I know opticianry is running out of time. Many of us cannot attend but our sincere prayers are with those who attend, that a plan is outline and hopefully carry out with full cooperation of the certifying organizations and their "Parents". Now where do we send the check...Make the website as friendly as this board. Thank you

CNG

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by CNG View Post
    The ABO/NCLE makes money off our backs and it seems to be that the watering down of the tests is geared to allow more people to get certified. They make money from the testing and credit granting. We never hear of those in power.

Why is that?
    In order to make a change it has to come from within we are told. Who are these people?
    Where are they?
    Do they have names?
    Will they be amiable to our new born ideals?

I know opticianry is running out of time. Many of us cannot attend but our sincere prayers are with those who attend, that a plan is outline and hopefully carry out with full cooperation of the certifying organizations and their "Parents". Now where do we send the check...Make the website as friendly as this board. Thank you

CNG
    Lots of questions that have great answers, luckily every non-profit organization in the US has to make their financial data available. In it is included the names of the executives and officers of the organization. Any organization is not going to like any other organization to muscle in on it's turf so more than likely "No" I don't think they will like the idea of a new group. Normally I wouldn't agree with a new group that is going to be doing the same thing as another group as it only creates a divide and we have too much of that a it is, but it is evident from this thread and many I talk too that the current organizations do not represent the interests of the profession.

That's the true issue here many of us are sending in money to organizations and assuming that they have our interests in mind, but the organizations are failing us. Warren you know I'll be there.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by johns View Post
    so, whom among the optiboarders will actually be there?

-wmc
    -roy
    -judy (i think)
    -johns
    -harry chilling
    -???
    me!!!!
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Step up............or step aside!
    Stand up and make a difference!
    Be part of the solution.....not part of the problem!
    Put your money and your time where your mouth is!
    Amen!
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Count me in.

I got my Florida license by drawing a paycheck in Alabama (unlicensed) for seven years, passing the ABO and NCLE exams, then passing the Florida board exam.

You shouldn't be able to get your license the way I did.

At 50, I don't see another degree in my future. I'm in for the long term betterment of the field for those that follow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    Count me in.

I got my Florida license by drawing a paycheck in Alabama (unlicensed) for seven years, passing the ABO and NCLE exams, then passing the Florida board exam.

You shouldn't be able to get your license the way I did.

At 50, I don't see another degree in my future. I'm in for the long term betterment of the field for those that follow.

Bravo!

You got GUSTO!

That's the way to step up!

It will be an honor to meet you and your first round (not golf.......ale) is on me!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

-WMC
    -Roy
    -Judy (I think)
    -Johns
    -Harry Chilling
    -???
    K-Dog will be in the house. Staying at the Marriott (burning points) on the otherside of the mall. Nice mall though, well what I remember of it from the mid-80's.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CNG View Post
    Dr. Mcdonald, I think the idea that you present here is really the start of our professions recovery. The only concern that I have and I'll bet that is in all opticians minds is how the ABO/NCLE going to react to your ideas. The ABO/NCLE makes money off our backs and it seems to be that the watering down of the tests is geared to allow more people to get certified. They make money from the testing and credit granting. We never hear of those in power. Why is that? In order to make a change it has to come from within we are told. Who are these people? Where are they? Do they have names? Will they be amiable to our new born ideals? I know opticianry is running out of time. Many of us cannot attend but our sincere prayers are with those who attend, that a plan is outline and hopefully carry out with full cooperation of the certifying organizations and their "Parents". Now where do we send the check...Make the website as friendly as this board. Thank you

CNG
    The directors of ABO/NCLE are all listed on the site, I think? If not, they are listed on this board in another thread some time back. These are all honorable people, and in fact some I have spoken with support our efforts. Will they as an organization support? No. They hold the reins to the certification agency. Where we made a huge mistake in days past was allowing the ABO/NCLE to become the tail wagging the dog. The profession now does not set it's standards, the directors of the ABO/NCLE do. They are the same people year-after-year, with little change. They are appointed by the professional organizations, but in reality remain on one or the other for many years. After 6 years on one, they then move to the other, maintaining the 2-term rule. This is unfortunate, because it does not develop new blood, with new ideas. Keep in mind that all of these people are my friends, but we differ on the future direction of Opticianry. We have had these conversations with them. But the profession should be in control of the funds from the certification agency, and should have a voice in standards. They feel they do, with the organizations doing the appointing, but with the same old folks in place, little change ever happens. It is funny, but many of those in place today were those who shouted the loudest about the length of time served by the former "old guard" that has now passed on. Once "in power" it is hard to give up the board meetings and power! Not only ABO/NCLE, but this country, needs STRICT term limits to develop our leaders of the future.

Now, to us........we are not trying to rain on the ABO/NCLE parade, and in fact are not considering them. We see the need for something new and different. Let those who want to remain where they are to seek ABO/NCLE certification, and pray that they are happy. Let those who want more to find a new kind of place with us. This thread was initially to discuss the CPA requirements, versus the pulse and a check we require to sit for our exams. It morphed into an idea for this loosely organized "summit" to talk about the direction we need to take. The establishment of a new breed, like the CPA, that can market themselves legitimately as above the rest. Someone with the real education and training to withstand scrutiny from the public. Not just a high school graduate that took a VERY basic, 100-question multiple-choice exam. Establishing something better. I hope we can have some folks there, even those who disagree, because this must be for all. It must have a ground-swell of support that can be seen and heard across the country, no matter a licensed state or non-licensed. No matter where they are, Opticians with this new credential will be able to legitimately prove their professional status. If we see enough interest (and this lengthy thread speaks to that, at least in my mind), we will move forward based on the plan established. We will keep everyone posted.

I appreciate your prayers.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    The directors of ABO/NCLE are all listed on the site, I think? If not, they are listed on this board in another thread some time back.
    They don't list the directors on their site. When I called to get a list of directors last year, they refused to give it to me.

Here's a link to the thread that has the list. Current as of last July.

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...6457-ABO-Board

Looking forward to that beer Fezz!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    So I just looked at that list. It looks like a case of musical chairman. The new chairman is Curt Duff, and David Meldrum was a recent chairman as well. Its basically the same handful of guys, switching seats every few years. No wonder nothing new comes of it.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have obtained the 990s (IRS returns for tax exempt organizations) for the ABO and NCLE for 2007 - 2009. If anyone would like copies, PM me and I'll e-mail them to you.
    Last edited by gmc; 05-25-2010 at 02:27 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Excellent article Warren!

http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...n-optician.asp

Thank you for all that you do for the betterment of our profession. I truley appreciate it!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz,
    I too thought Dr. McDonald's article in ECP was well written.

However, where I disagree is when - and this is common anytime I hear about advanced levels of certification in opticianry - that certification (advanced or basic) in contact lenses is either necessary or essential for acknowledgement of higher-levels of dispensing accomplishment. I also feel that many basics of CLs, such as tear film importance, should be included in basic dispensing education. Although I am licensed and certified to fit contacts, I do not engage in this, nor have I for many, many years. Yet, the absence of an immediate ability to fit today's CLs does NOT diminish what I feel are my skill sets in ophthalmic dispensing.

In my office, a master CL fitter runs his own CL practice. He too is an optician, and he is well acknoledged as one of the finest CL fitters in the country. He has tended to the CL fitting needs of 3 major sports teams in our region. He has also taught resident Ophthalmologists how to fit CLs.

Yet, if he was to be placed behind a dispensing desk tomorrow, he would have an epic FAIL, in much the same way that I would should I be required to change places with him. CLs and eyewear are very different animals today. Marrying advanced dispensing accomplishment to CL fitting is a mis-marriage, IMHO.

I's also luv to be part of the discussions in Atlanta, but this year my personal music commitments prevent me from doing so. Do not mistake my call for emphasizing optician independence as not desiring to be part of this movement, especially if it REALLY means business and is willing to see it thorough. Although I may disgree with the current cirricullum in some of the schools today, I do fell that ONLY an classroom environment can ensure consistent standards in optical education. Of course, field experience with live human beings counts for something important as well.

I know I've spoken of of being "tired" about fighting the fight, but I'm beginning to feel that there just may be enough suupport this time to get something done.

Gosh knows that the big chains could hugely benefit from an upgrade in the available candidates to work in there stores.

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry,
    There is support from the masses. It is also important to remember that Opticianry began to dumb itself down when we seperated the primary functions Opticians performed, the design and of fitting specatcles and CLs. To advance, Opticians need to expand a bit, and the CL argument is the most strategically acceptable, because history shows our role in the development of the CL. We need to make certain all of this new breed is educated and trained in all facets of the field. There are others as well, outlined in the article. I appreciate your support, and want everyone to know that there is hope. We can make this happen.

Warren

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I know I said I would stop posting but I did want to comment on the contact lens issue as it is new to the thread, we have alwasy fit contact lenses the ability to do so has been stripped from our profession so getting that back is an important step to me as well and a logical "easy win" which can help to gain momentum. I occasionally fit contact lenses but admit that my skills in the area are a bit rusty compared to my dispensing and opthalmic fabricateing skills. I liked Barry's comments about having a contat lens master in house, he is a contact lens optician and you are a dispensing optician but at a certain point your educations should have started the same, he chose to specialize in contact lenses and Barry chose to specialize in fitting and dispensing of eyewear. The post makes a great statement as to what is tryign to be accomplished in my eyes, expand the scope so that their is room to specialize in varying factes of our industry. We're not a one horse show, it's time we make that evident.

Dr McDonald, great article and you summed up this thread and more in a few pages, bravo.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just so this doesn't get lost...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for bumping this John,

I am looking forward to seeing you and others at the SEOC meeting.

: )

Laurie

Thread Information