Thread: PAL Options for a -5.25 Cyl?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PAL Options for a -5.25 Cyl?

Hey guys. Question for everyone here, hoping I can get an answer. Had a patient in today with this script:

-4.75-5.00x014
    -6.50-5.25x167

And I'm at a loss as to what I can do progressive wise. I was a dummy and just assumed our go-to FF PAL (Seiko Supercede) would work, but it only goes up to a -4.00 cyl. Of course I didn't realize that untill after she left. I checked her old PALs while she was here, and it looked like she was in a Proceed II, but according to TheLensGuru that also only goes up to a -4.00 cyl. So Honestly I'm at a little bit of a loss. I'm going to have to call my labs next week, but I was hoping someone here would have some good suggestions in the mean time. Help? :shiner:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Just put a -6.75 cyl in a gradal top he loves em

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PAL Options

I've been a frequent browser on this forum for about a year now, although I haven't posted anything before. I have to say, I've learned quite a bit here and it definitely has helped me in my emerging career as an Optician.

Anyways, if it were me, I'd call my lab and request that they accomodate that level of cyl in the new PAL. Ask if they'll do it in a Proceed II (so you can try keeping her in a PAL she is already comfortable with), but if they can't....in this case, I would opt for the Comfort because I know several labs in my neck of the woods that can get this type of cyl in a Comfort.

I hope I don't get scorned on this because there are definitely alot of extremely knowledgeable, yet sensitive professionals here...but I figured I'd share what I got. :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a customer in 1.6 Comfort with a -5.25 cyl done at Luzerne.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by IcyTrax View Post
    Anyways, if it were me, I'd call my lab and request that they accomodate that level of cyl in the new PAL. Ask if they'll do it in a Proceed II (so you can try keeping her in a PAL she is already comfortable with), but if they can't....in this case, I would opt for the Comfort because I know several labs in my neck of the woods that can get this type of cyl in a Comfort. I hope I don't get scorned on this because there are definitely alot of extremely knowledgeable, yet sensitive professionals here...but I figured I'd share what I got. :)
    Using your lab is a great place to start if you don't understand how the lens design affects the cyl. www.thelensguru.com now has mean power and astigmatism plots for many different designs, but these are always based on a Plano distance with a 1.50 or 2.0 add. You won't see many issues with that sort of prescription. To really understand the cyl affect on the progressive lens take a look at: Darryl Meister's webpage www.opticampus.com, and start with his article on Progressive lens Designs.

Learning is great - and you shouldn't be afraid to ask questions. Someone here will always answer positively, and you can easily ignore the smart alecs

Cheers

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

PAL for -5.25

We have also used the Proceed II, this client needed a -11.00 cyl, and it worked a treat. We did get it in from the USA, from our guy in Florida

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralKnight View Post
    Hey guys. Question for everyone here, hoping I can get an answer. Had a patient in today with this script:

-4.75-5.00x014
    -6.50-5.25x167

And I'm at a loss as to what I can do progressive wise. I was a dummy and just assumed our go-to FF PAL (Seiko Supercede) would work, but it only goes up to a -4.00 cyl.
    I think the limitation on most all FF Progressive software is 4 diopters of cyl. Don't know why, but it leaves those with high cyl out of the game.

Might have to go "old school" on her in this case!

Good luck!

:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I too agree with staying in the Seiko lens. She is used to that design and they put out a good lens for high cyls. We work with high cyl's all day (avg job has 2 diop's cyl) some go as high as 10. Had good luck with Hoya too. :bbg:
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The Shamir Autograph II line of FreeForm progressives goes out to a -6.00 cylinder.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper Mr Bolton Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Bolton View Post
    We have also used the Proceed II, this client needed a -11.00 cyl, and it worked a treat. We did get it in from the USA, from our guy in Florida
    I will say that you have done some amazing work - slab off in progressives!! Yes you did Glenn, and Bifocal segs in the midst of an intermediate corridor - Yes you did --- you're guilty of finding ways to make what we D.O.'s think might be a good idea into a reality --- !!!

I didn't realise you were an optiboard member!

:cheers:

Optiwizard making films Audiyoda's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've had great success with high cyl (5Δ or greater) using the Proceed II, Physio360, Definity and Autograph II.

Thread Information