Thread: Need for Autograph II vs. conventional PAL

Seeker of perpetual knowledge specs4you's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Need for Autograph II vs. conventional PAL

Hi Optiboard great minds. I have had fabulous, in fact, 100% positive
    feedback with the Shamir Autograph II. I need to hand to the customers
    a nice rundown of the advantages of freeform vs. conventional....in addition to the overwhelming information spewing forth from my mouth.
    I copied one of the pages that describes it in a Shamir handout but it is
    dark black and hard to read at best. Any of you have anything you hand
    out that you can lead me to?

Appreciate it. Have a great week of successes!!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Taken from Shamirlens.com LabAdvisor

www.shamirlens.com
    A new family of customized lenses, Shamir Autograph™ is designed for the 21st Century’s Age of Personalized Optics. It is based on Shamir’s Direct Lens Technology™ - a cutting-edge Free Form Technology that is the most advanced surfacing technology for creating premium, personal, finished lenses for different lifestyles. As a result, Shamir Autograph™ represents the height of customized back surface optics.
    Personalized Optics™
    Each Shamir Autograph® is a custom-made personalized lens created to the highest level of optical accuracy (up to 1/100 diopters) by combining each patient's unique measures and Personalized Freeform Technology®. Shamir Autograph's patented state-of-the-art back surface design provides 20 percent wider fields of vision in all zones by bringing the design closer to the eye.
    Shamir Autograph® is the ultimate freeform progressive lens for patients with any lifestyle wanting the highest level of personalized optics available on the market today. By combining the most advanced optical technologies to create an innovative personalized progressive lens, Shamir uses a comprehensive approach to lens design and production.
    Built into select new Autograph® designs, FreeFrame Technology™ is a ground breaking design element that adapts the progressive lens design to the frame itself. Based on the frame shape, this unbelievable new feature dynamically adjusts the corridor length and moves the reading zone to the most optimal position in the frame, retaining the full reading power! Now, progressive wearers have the freedom to choose any frame they like. Every frame picked will have the most optimal design specifically tailored to the frame and patient. To further fine tune each Autograph® lens, Shamir incorporates As-Worn Technology™ by taking three additional, specific measurements from the patient: “Pantoscopic Tilt”, “Panoramic Angle” and “Vertex Distance”. These measurements will further fine tune the Rx given to the patient by the doctor to provide the patient with the proper Rx for the frame shape as it’s worn on the face. The Shamir Autograph® design is now fine-tuned to provide the most advanced, tailored optics available anywhere today.
    Direct Lens Technology® & Prescriptor® Software
    Transferring this data to the back surface of the lens is the combined effort of Shamir’s Direct Lens Technology® and Prescriptor® software, which captures each patients personalized information (Rx, PD, frame measurements and personal lifestyle preferences) and selects the design file required to generate a personalized lens. This information is then sent to the freeform production equipment which grinds the Autograph® design on the back surface of the lens, producing a personalized, custom made Autograph® lens, created to the highest level of optical accuracy (0.01 diopters) and 20% wider fields of vision.

LAB ADVISOR
    Autograph Progressives
    Manufacturer/Distributor: Shamir Insight
    Description: Enhanced line of personalized, Freeform progressive lenses

Features: Shamir Autograph lenses have been updated with a variable lens design for minimum fitting heights starting from 1mm and up. The new line extensions are Autograph Attitude, which provides patients with a premium wrap progressive with optimal zone widths and clear, distortion-free viewing; Autograph Office, a personalized occupational lens.
    Availability: Autograph Single Vision, which allows single-vision patients to experience personalization in a fully aspheric back-surfaced lens; Autograph Single Vision Attitude, which provides a customized lens for wrap frames, without the distortion found in many progressive wrap lenses.

The new Autograph lenses feature As-Worn Technology and FreeFrame Technology. As-Worn Technology fine-tunes a patient's Rx by calculating vertex distance—the distance between the lens and the eye; pantoscopic tilt—the angle at which the frame sits on the patients face; and panoramic angle—the angle of the frame itself. Submitting these three measurements along with the patient’s Rx allows Shamir’s Prescriptor software to adjust the prescribed Rx to better suit the patient as he or she wears the frame. FreeFrame Technology, takes into account the patient’s frame choice, adjusting the design of the lens by dynamically increasing or decreasing the corridor length to match the frame and fitting height. Also, by moving the reading zone to the exact location in relation to the patient’s selected frame, FreeFrame Technology ensures each patient receives wide reading areas with full add for any frame shape or structure.
    (877) 742-6471
    www.shamirlens.com
    www.digitaleyelab.com

:cheers: CHARLOTTE CRAWFORD

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

thanks....but

I really need info designed to hand to the patient. This is more for us Opticians......Any ideas?
    Does anyone out there give written info on freeforms vs. conventional designs to patients/customers?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I hate to be a party pooper, but we have been doing some comparison studies on the Autograph II, Succeed, and Varilux comfort. I am about a -4.00 with a 2.50 add.

Recently, we made three pair of glasses all in the same Rx and frame. I see no difference in any of them. Not in the distance, near or intermediate. I am able to adapt to any of them in about a minute.

Admittedly, my observations are anecdotal. My optician staff wanted to use me as a test subject because I could presumably judge channel width, peripheral distortion, etc. better than a patient. Really...I saw no difference.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Well I am still awaiting a reply to my request but....

I thank you for your feedback. We are not giving our patients any
    incentives and by all means they would complain to get the diff. $$
    back if they did not see a big difference. They are seeing it 100% thus
    far. We are very confident based on the patients reports and they actually get rather annoyed that nobody put them in the lens before.

I btw am not someone easily sold or hyped.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    OK, I did a little looking and the Vision Catalog is what they recommend you have for your patients. Unfortunately, it lists all of their offerings. Shamir will send you some, the item # is SHA-BRO-REF-080709. They'll probably have an updated one soon. Their phone number is 877-514-8330.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: Autograph II info

The Shamir brochure CCrawford mentioned is good. I also do well by showing Seiko's video about their freeform lenses. It's better than Shamir's video (the one with the talking M&M) -- boy, I wish they would come up with something better than that.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by specs4you View Post
    I really need info designed to hand to the patient. This is more for us Opticians......Any ideas?
    Ähem, if you really are an optician, you should not rely on such a text either, which is only techno-bable filled with unscientific hype!

"designed for the 21st Century’s Age of Personalized Optics"

"ground breaking", "ultimate",

and what I really like

"this unbelievable new feature dynamically ..."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you "yes I am really a very good optician, thank you ....for your ahem".
    Not only am I more than capable of spending the time and imparting all the tech specs and practical knowledge of the products I recommend but to back it
    up with something written for the patient to leave with is the call I chose to make sometimes.

I am very grateful for our Optiboard freedom of speech forums in that we do not try and judge one another for our lack of resources or in forgeting a piece of knowledge or even having a weakness in a particular segment. I am not perfect and I felt your post is not in the spirit of the forum. I took offiense.

Thank you all the rest of you for your helpful resources and for going out of your way to help me get info that is down to earth for the patient to understand.
    I did call Shamir directly and they do have a one page nicely printed explanation of freeform vs. conventional and were happy to send as many as we need.

Again thank you all. I can always depend on this wonderful site to bounce any ideas off .

Quote Originally Posted by xiaowei View Post
    Ähem, if you really are an optician, you should not rely on such a text either, which is only techno-bable filled with unscientific hype!

"designed for the 21st Century’s Age of Personalized Optics"

"ground breaking", "ultimate",

and what I really like

"this unbelievable new feature dynamically ..."

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Most of the time, we get a little "authenticity" card with our lenses. Even on the Autograph SV lenses. They came from the lab. Unfortunately, I haven't opened them as much as hand them to the patient. I did open the Zeiss Individual booklet that comes back with the lenses. They get a cleaner, as well as information on why the Individual is the best that they can get, and they are lucky to have an optician who recommended it to the patient. (that sums up their words). These handouts always make the patient say, "wow."

For what it's worth.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have talked both to shamir and my local shamir rep about pop for the patient. What my rep told me this was brought up at the last national meeting and is not considered high priority. Digital Eye lab produces a pop piece on why digital is better very generic but you can see it at there web site.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Have you ordered the stand and extra brochures that it comes with? It's a nice brushed silver pop holder and it has a clip to hold one trifold and the others sit in the bottom. If you pm with your information, I can have one sent to you.

Quote Originally Posted by barryh66 View Post
    I have talked both to shamir and my local shamir rep about pop for the patient. What my rep told me this was brought up at the last national meeting and is not considered high priority. Digital Eye lab produces a pop piece on why digital is better very generic but you can see it at there web site.

Thread Information