Thread: "Eliminates reflections"

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

""

??
    Last edited by jessica19; 02-21-2010 at 08:19 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have to explain to opticians and doctors that plano A/Rs do not eliminate night glare. We need to start closer to home.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It's true! I just got a new pair of Crizal Forte lenses. Can't even see myself in the mirror anymore. Shaving is a beeyotch now. :)

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I tell people it eliminates about 99% of reflections.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Edken that is hilarious hahaha. Maybe you are just a vampire?

No coating is completely reflection free, and no lens is completely free of aberrations. The technology in our industry is increasingly becoming better, but I would still stay away from any absolutist statements. Leave that to the marketing department and counsel your patients according to reality and experience.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I still stick by my one guidline concerning AR coatings. Some are better than others in terms of ease of cleaning. Some last longer and are more forgiving in terms of scratch resistance. The one underlying aspect that they all have in comman is that the wearer sees better and looks better than wearing glasses without it. To me, these are the most important things that our clients are looking for.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    I have to explain to opticians and doctors that plano A/Rs do not eliminate night glare. We need to start closer to home.
    My favourite is when they prescribe AR on plano lenses to eliminate computer glare. Then you have to explain to the customer that even though it almost removes all glare from the lens, there is still more glare than no lens at all

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    My favourite is when they prescribe AR on plano lenses to eliminate computer glare. Then you have to explain to the customer that even though it almost removes all glare from the lens, there is still more glare than no lens at all
    Amen. :D

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Lol, I'd advice curtains for their Windows ® :cheers:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I'm still waiting for the first AR contactlenses...

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jimrask View Post
    Lol, I'd advice curtains for their Windows ® :cheers:
    Or pies for their Macintoshes............but me??? I'll fill the Rx as written, take the money, and run like the devil was chasing me!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by hjcilson
    I'll fill the Rx as written, take the money, and run like the devil was chasing me!
    Haha, wonderful.

My boss wants me to do the same. But since he's paying me next to nothing, I give patiens proper advice. ^_^

Bad address email on file k12311997's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    op withdrew comment, interesting. this would be a good time for a conspiracy theory.

Occupation
    It's the Libyans!

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    It's the Libyans!
    Your sense of humor slays me!

It's the French.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    One of my Regional managers (LC) asked for my "advice" for his wife, same problem. (I think he was testing me). I told him to get a glare screen for the computer and to close the blinds/drapes when she got glare from the windows. He kept asking why I wouldn't recommend plano w/ AR. I explained it 3 different times before he went away:hammer:. I guess I failed his test because I'm not there anymore (or maybe I passed it because now I'm in PP):cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As an interesting aside: I imagine it's rather surprising to some to learn just how many computer users do not either know how, or otherwise simply choose to work with a computer monitor that is grossly un-calibrated to their environment. Or worse - purposefully calibrated incorrectly. I would venture a guess that many patients computer vision strain and stress could be reduced, and likely in a fairly noticeable amount, with a little time spent setting up their work/home computer environment to be a little easier on the ol' peepers.

There are reasons some intrepid home theater buffs will spend hundreds to have a technician come to their home and tune the picture of their TV. And while it is obvious that many computer monitors aren't as advanced as say the latest LED backlit, full array, local dimming, full color gamut etc. etc., there is still a lot that can be done with the simple calibration controls on even very modest screens.

It's clear that this will afford a differing level of benefit to different individuals, and that to some, it may provide little to no relief from CVS, or other computer monitor specific related stresses. And we all know that these are our very *favorite* sort of patients! :hammer::D

Certainly however, for *any*patient who either needs, or chooses to wear glasses, at the end of the day, a good quality anti glare lens will be a better visual option than a base lens without.

Best!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Umm yeah plano with ar works for nighttime glare. I am -0.25-0.25 ou it makes a huge difference driving at night and looking at the computer. It focuses the light more not allowing it to scatter as much. What is so hard to grasp? I don't get it. You all are prob the same people that don't think a quarter makes a difference in RX. Plano, AR, Polarized, is the only way I get my sunglasses! (*****y comment done)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeGurl View Post
    Umm yeah plano with ar works for nighttime glare. I am -0.25-0.25 ou it makes a huge difference driving at night and looking at the computer. It focuses the light more not allowing it to scatter as much. What is so hard to grasp? I don't get it. You all are prob the same people that don't think a quarter makes a difference in RX. Plano, AR, Polarized, is the only way I get my sunglasses! (*****y comment done)
    C'mon...what does the word that got "bleeped" rhyme with? It may help me to ascertain whether you are serious or not. I didn't see any :bbg:, or :(, or 's, so I'm assuming you're being serious.

Let us know so we can unleash it all!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    ahh witchy hehe

But I should interject- just as nothing is scratch proof, nothing is glare proof. But I do only sell plano/ minor rx's to pts who want the best clearest VA.

Now I am confused as to the OP's sanity and everyone who agrees. :)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i can only assume that the -.25 -.25 in both of your eyes would really help your night vision and that the A/R coating on your lenses does what it does for every patient that ever wears it:

it drastically reduces the glare that is caused by the lens itself.
    That's it.

I used to have an opthamologist that would send me those "plano with A/R" Rxs after a Lasik patient was unhappy with their results. I would try to explain the coating to the patients so they would understand it didn't help them, but the doctor's always right, right? :angry: So he would rip them off for the SX and then gauge them full price for a pair of glasses that wouldn't help a bit. I would always throw in a yellow tint for free to help myself sleep at night. So happy to be back in an independent optical now. No Doctors! No Insurance!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeGurl View Post

But I should interject- just as nothing is scratch proof, nothing is glare proof. But I do only sell plano/ minor rx's to pts who want the best clearest VA.

Selling a minor Rx to pts. who want the best VA is WORLDS apart from selling a plano.

There can be NO better glare reducer, than the elimination of the surface that causes the glare!

Don't coat the surface w/ AR, eliminate it! Again, I am talking only plano, assuming that no corrective error is found.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Thread Information