Thread: Essilor Ideal Advanced

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Essilor Ideal Advanced

My lab gave me a pair of the Essilor Ideal Advanced to compare to my Hoya Lifestyle ID's (quicker turnaround.) I have also sold it to two patients who agreed to be guinea pigs for me.

I HATE it! I put them on and immediatly had that "swim" effect that was the reason I had not been able to wear progressives for so long! My rep called to ask me what I thought and I told him. He then stated that my measurements must be wrong, or my seg is to high. Not so...they are horrible, they give me the same swim effect as the older style lenses. (ps supposedly they are the exact same design as the physio 360, which I believe. I can't wear the 360 family either.)

Has anyone else tried the ideal? or sold it to patients? and if so what is your opinion of it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can't wear any of the 360 lenses? The physio is rather different from the ellipse for example. And both are clearly different from the FT-28 and SV flavors. Are you sure it's the 360 digital surfacing? Or is it something else, such as lens design? Just curious.

All the best!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What progressives have you liked?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    You can't wear any of the 360 lenses? The physio is rather different from the ellipse for example. And both are clearly different from the FT-28 and SV flavors. Are you sure it's the 360 digital surfacing? Or is it something else, such as lens design? Just curious.

All the best!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    I've tried the physio 360 and the ellipse 360...hated them both. I've even tried the shamir autograph II, not as bad as the vx's, but still bad.
    I really like the Hoya lifestyle ID, I put them on and had no adapt issues, as well as no swim effect.

My coworker on the other hand, likes the Hoya for her computer but hits a little distortion in the distance part, and wears a autograph II in her sun because she doesn't get any distance distortion. I'm a minus and she's a plus.

To top it off, I am one of those horrible low minus low cyl patients who can't deal my axis being off even by a tiny bit.I feel sorry for the optician that will have to deal with me when I retire...:D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by canaanlilli View Post
    I feel sorry for the optician that will have to deal with me when I retire...:D
    No worries there!

You are in the optical business, there is NO way that you will ever be able to afford to retire!

:shiner::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was the Rx, frame style, and fitting height *exactly* the same on all the progressives you've tried out of curiosity?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

uh huh

yep. I'm wearing them now and it's better, you know the whole adapt thing but I am still getting the swim feel when I first put them on and when I go from far to near.

I think it is just a design issue, I just happened to fit better with the hoya life id.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Have you ever tried a panamic ? It is a lens for distortion issue because it is a really very soft design.

:cheers:

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by au View Post
    Have you ever tried a panamic ? It is a lens for distortion issue because it is a really very soft design.

:cheers:
    I HATE the Panamic, it was the first progressive I every wore and it made me sick as all get out. I was 25 y/o at the time.

The Hoya Lifestyle ID really is the first progressive I've ever been able to successfully wear. I was just hoping the Essilor Ideal Advanced would fit me well, because it has a quicker turn around time through my lab( they don't have to outsource it.)

Oh, well, Monday we'll see how the two patients I have sold the Ideal to like it.:o

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    No worries there!

You are in the optical business, there is NO way that you will ever be able to afford to retire!

:shiner::cheers::cheers::cheers:
    This is very true, except I keep hoping my hubby will one day make enough dough I can stay at home...oh, wait, he's going to be a teacher...crap.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    This is the reason that there is more than one progressive design in the world.

The same design doesn't work for everyone.

Just remember that even though you may not like a progressive design, your patients maybe just fine with it.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Thread Information